Study reveals most pickup trucks receive poor headlight rating. - Page 2

Study reveals most pickup trucks receive poor headlight rating.

This is a discussion on Study reveals most pickup trucks receive poor headlight rating. within the Off Topic Lounge forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel - Off-Topic Lounge category; Guessing I am the only one here getting a totally different meaning from the report. I saw NOTHING speaking to the issue of how bright ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Study reveals most pickup trucks receive poor headlight rating.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6507 times
    Guessing I am the only one here getting a totally different meaning from the report. I saw NOTHING speaking to the issue of how bright they were for illuminate the roadway ahead. Yet, that seems to be the conclusion most of you immediately came to. The ratings seemed to be interested in how much glare or interference headlights caused oncoming drivers.

I think our headlights are too bright and set too high for oncoming drivers to not be adversely affected/ blinded by pickup lights. Often I see those hideous blue things blaring down at me from both standard and lifted pickups. It blinds me and irritates me to think they are being driven with the high beams on. Then as I pass, notice that maybe they did not have the high beams on.

That horrible glare from headlights too bright and aimed too high often has me blasting oncoming drivers with my high beams hoping to get them to turn things down.

My conclusion is based on my experience. Our pickup lights are too bright and can be too high. That makes them a threat to others and the cause of accidents. I see nothing wrong with illumination of the road, low beam and especially high beam if you can find a clear road to turn them on. Wish our law enforcement would stop and fine those modifying their lights for more power, aimed too high and causing that glare focused on in the article. Also wish that same law enforcement would enforce laws about traveling in the passing lane.

A wish in a dish is not as good as a fish in that dish.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Sport Eco Crew
    Liked
    7 times
    Aim is the primary problem with most lights as indicated. And with other manufacturers that use projector headlights, on startup they go through an aiming process. The projector on the Ram does not. So unless properly aimed to start with, they will have glare, less than a reflector assembly though. Now because they do not have an automatic adjustment feature, as soon as you put some weight in the box or tow something, the cut off is now higher than it should be. This was shown while I was pulling the trailer, I was getting flashed all the time, I make a point of getting off the road before dark just to avoid this.
    Your primary culprit for vehicles with blinding low beams are those individuals who put HID bulbs in reflector headlights. HID in a projector that is properly aimed will have a defined cutoff below oncoming driver’s eyeline.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links