Hey gearheads quick question

This is a discussion on Hey gearheads quick question within the Off Topic Lounge forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel - Off-Topic Lounge category; We have a 2010 Ford Focus with 150k on it. A month ago I thought I could smell antifreeze getting burned off. 2 weeks ago ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Hey gearheads quick question

Member #
    Vehicle
    Screw Chrysler
    Liked
    272 times

We have a 2010 Ford Focus with 150k on it. A month ago I thought I could smell antifreeze getting burned off. 2 weeks ago the wife said the car was sluggish. I drove it and didn't feel anything. Sunday the wife was headed to town and it would barely go. Check engine light came on and when I got home from work the coolant reservoir was empty. CEL cleared. Filled it back up and made an appointment. Today I tried to take it to the appointment and it was missing bad. Limped it there. Code says Misfiring on the #4 cylinder. Pull the spark plug and there is antifreeze on top of the piston. I figure head gasket or cracked head. Got a call in to a shop about repair estimates for each. In your experience how much money will it take to fix that.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 4x4 Laramie longbox crewcab
    Liked
    672 times
    More than it's worth, more than likely.
    2014 4x4 Laramie Crewcab, Longbox, 3.55, every option except RamBoxes and parking sensors.
    1A Auto power folding tow mirrors, Mopar wheel to wheel bars, Access Lorado tonneau cover
    Weathertech floormats & mudflaps, TrailFX hood protector, Edge Insight CTS, GDE Hot Tune

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 4x4 Laramie longbox crewcab
    Liked
    672 times
    In all seriousness, I'd guess it'll run just over a grand for the head gasket if that's all it is (closer to $1300 at a stealership). It's a boat-load of labor; might as well do timing belt while you're in there since the head has to come off anyway... timing belts are the single dumbest thing ever, IMHO.

Replacement head? More than that.
    Captainmal likes this.
    2014 4x4 Laramie Crewcab, Longbox, 3.55, every option except RamBoxes and parking sensors.
    1A Auto power folding tow mirrors, Mopar wheel to wheel bars, Access Lorado tonneau cover
    Weathertech floormats & mudflaps, TrailFX hood protector, Edge Insight CTS, GDE Hot Tune

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    545 times
    In all honesty you would be better off to put in a rebuilt long block from Jasper engines.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 1500 ED - Laramie '14 R1200GS - dirty, muddy, occasionally dropped...being used as intended!
    Liked
    177 times
    Had an '01 - new engine and pulling the old and swapping the new one in ran about $1000 (ebay engine w/50 miles and local shop). Might be worth checking to see if this is a cost viable option.

Repair they'll probably quote for a least 8 hours of labor - figure 1500 bucks minimum. If it's just the gasket, parts are *maybe* 100 bucks total, if that. It's the labor that'll get you. In reality, it'll probably be a 4-6 hour job at most for a competent mechanic (hell, if I could do a head gasket swap in under 6 hours on the zetec, I know a real mechanic will easy best that).

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1439 times
    If your handy with tools and have an extra vehicle you could tackle it over time.

Does your local highschool have an auto mechanic shop? I know in highschool our autotech shop would do work if they had the ability and time for the cost of parts and a shop fee I believe.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1073 times
    i always give this advice in this scenario.... its not the value of the vehicle that determines if you should fix or not. lets say all said and done it costs $1800.

how much is a new car? 15k? 20k? if this car has been good to you, and judging by mileage on it you have had it a while, fix it. keep driving it. its a known quantity and $1800 out of pocket is way cheaper than a new car.
    RossCountyRam, howie12 and Davemd like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Screw Chrysler
    Liked
    272 times
    I haven't the foggiest idea. I just heard back from the shop I have been waiting to hear from. He said the focus heads are known for warping. They can get it in 2 weeks from today and the work will take 3 days and $1500. Time frame depends on the machine stop across the street. I am going to have it done.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GMC Duramax, Ford 7.3 diesel
    Liked
    3151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kswaterfowler View Post
    I haven't the foggiest idea. I just heard back from the shop I have been waiting to hear from. He said the focus heads are known for warping. They can get it in 2 weeks from today and the work will take 3 days and $1500. Time frame depends on the machine stop across the street. I am going to have it done.
    Since they can't get at it for two weeks, perhaps a getting a couple more quotes might make sense.

Others may not agree, but 150K miles is what I consider the end of reliable life for most cars. My reasoning is because of the unknown frequency of failures that will occur as well as their unknown cost. There is a lot to be said for a new car warranty, considering today's cost of parts and repair.
    Gene

2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
    2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel
    1992 Ford E350 Navistar diesel

"Science prevails over bullshit and superstition"
    -Me

Member #
    Vehicle
    Screw Chrysler
    Liked
    272 times
    I don't do debt and don't have cash to pay for a brand new car. Looking for a quality used car for the wife and I will drive the Focus as my commuter. Also gets us back to having an extra vehicle in case something happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links