Got a hair up my butt... - Page 3

Got a hair up my butt...

This is a discussion on Got a hair up my butt... within the Off Topic Lounge forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel - Off-Topic Lounge category; Quick get the tweezers!!...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 122
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Got a hair up my butt...

  1. #21
    RAM Sr Member RAM259's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    ILL-summer / FL-winter
    Posts
    210
    Member #
    7097
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM ED
    Liked
    97 times
    Got a hair up my butt...-stock-photo-undies-holding-up-mans-hammer-failing-showing-his-butt-462724240.jpg Quick get the tweezers!!
    2015 CC 4X4 Tradesman

  2. #22
    RAM Ninja DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Posts
    2,122
    Member #
    1513
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1028 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM259 View Post
    Quick get the tweezers!!
    It took me a minute! At first I'm all like, "Is he making reference to my face? Do I need to tweeze my eyebrows or something?" Then I finally remembered what I named the thread. Which brings around a whole new question: Am I too old/dim to be trying something like this?????????????? Nah.

    But here's another thing: I just discovered an even cheaper/smaller camper. $3395 if I pick it up in Florida



    There is also one for almost a couple of hundred cheaper, but no A/C and no receiver in the back onto which one could add a cargo platform.

    Now this gives me a conundrum. See, it's not tall enough so that I could stand up and put on my pants. Might not be a problem for the immodest who would just go outside and pull 'em up. However, it might also give me flashbacks to my early trucking career when it took me quite a while to find a company that respected their drivers enough to buy equipment tall enough for the driver to perform that function. On the other hand, it is cheaper. Not only that, it would provide a platform for me to get out there and show that it can be done and also allow me to upgrade later and have more to talk about.

    Decisions, decisions!

  3. #23
    RAM Silver Member howie12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,215
    Member #
    1600
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2344 times
    Well Ziggy, I see from the picture of the Camaro inthe garage you have the extra fuel tank that Cap always advocates figured out. Might have to work on the fastening a bit though. It seems to me you must have ADD or ADHD. Don't try to scam your way to retirement. WOrk at a job consistently that makes some money and spend less than you make so you can accumulate some money to live off when you stop working or work less. Ref your goofy Vlog idea I have no idea if you can make any money at it but you seem to be spending a lot to get set up, $40,000 minimum and then have a lot of ongoing driving expenses. I have no idea what vlogging pays but just for grins if you have weekly expenditures of $500 for gas, food, wear and tear on equipment, depreciation etc which is very low I think, and you produce one video a week it is hard for me to imagine that anyone will pay you fifty cents per view for your thousand subscribers to look at something like this.

    Do the numbers, but I cannot imagine it makes any sense. Perhaps it makes sense if there are 100,000 people interested in what you are doing but hard for me to imagine that there are that many interested in what you are suggesting.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Administrator BlueMerleBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern AZ
    Posts
    4,549
    Member #
    2207
    Vehicle
    4X4 2015 ED Outdoorsman CC ordered 8/12/14. Plan B 2014 Laramie ED CC 4X4 purchased 11/1/14.
    Liked
    2891 times
    DZ...do what ever floats ur boat in retirement within ur means and enjoy the hell out of it...social media is over rated. Best...

  6. #25
    RAM Ninja DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Posts
    2,122
    Member #
    1513
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1028 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    Well Ziggy, I see from the picture of the Camaro inthe garage you have the extra fuel tank that Cap always advocates figured out. Might have to work on the fastening a bit though.
    Yup!
    They worked fine on the back of the WaveRunner to get to Bimini and back. Should be fine for the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    It seems to me you must have ADD or ADHD.
    I don't get it...
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    Don't try to scam your way to retirement. WOrk at a job consistently that makes some money and spend less than you make so you can accumulate some money to live off when you stop working or work less.
    I don't get the "scam" part. Please explain.
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    Ref your goofy Vlog idea I have no idea if you can make any money at it but you seem to be spending a lot to get set up, $40,000 minimum and then have a lot of ongoing driving expenses. I have no idea what vlogging pays but just for grins if you have weekly expenditures of $500 for gas, food, wear and tear on equipment, depreciation etc which is very low I think, and you produce one video a week it is hard for me to imagine that anyone will pay you fifty cents per view for your thousand subscribers to look at something like this.
    Okay, so basically I would start a YouTube channel. Then YouTube wouldn't even think of paying me anything until I get 1,000 people to subscribe to the channel. Then payment depends on how many subscribers and how many views. So it will take some time to generate any income.

    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    Do the numbers, but I cannot imagine it makes any sense. Perhaps it makes sense if there are 100,000 people interested in what you are doing but hard for me to imagine that there are that many interested in what you are suggesting.
    I'm hoping! But at the same time I'm trying to not get any more carried away than I already am.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMerleBC View Post
    DZ...do what ever floats ur boat in retirement within ur means and enjoy the hell out of it...social media is over rated. Best...
    I might be able to start this before retirement. I hope. Hmmmmmmmm. I say that as though I've already made up my mind...

  7. #26
    RAM Diamond Member Captainmal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Sundance (Wimauma), Florida
    Posts
    11,826
    Member #
    185
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6537 times
    Life is easier if you have a dream. Keep on trying your schemes If the money runs out and they all fail to pay off, at least you tried.

    Used little trailers just may be like larger ones, major depreciation. Look around on Craigslist and the Trader publications on line.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

  8. #27
    RAM Regular RudolfDiesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    345
    Member #
    2693
    Vehicle
    2014 Ecodiesel Limited Crew Cab
    Liked
    196 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    And I wanted to roll it by you guys to see what you think.

    I'm getting close to retirement age. So I was thinking about supplementing my retirement by VLOGging. Wait! Don't stop reading yet. I'll try to get to the point, but there's a lot of information I want you to see in order to get the full picture.

    Okay, so I've recently become aware of a lot of folks VLOGging about their "RV life." Lots. So there may be a bit of market saturation. But from looking a few videos, they led me to this place: WeeRoll. WeeRoll doesn't take cargo trailers and turn them into campers, they build them from the ground up. So they kinda look like a cargo trailer, but they're not. They're light weight and are bare bones. Here's a couple of pics:











    They've taken a lot of inspiration from AirStream and even call this one the Silver Cloud. This would be the most expensive model (probably) as it's all aluminum--even the frame.



    So, since I ran across this I have had this hair up my butt that I should get one of these. Looks like the "high end" is ~$7000. Bring it home, get the interior set up with a bed and stuff. Then hit the road and VLOG along the way. I guess I would have to make some miles then camp somewhere for a few days and get the video together to post up whenever I can find a good Wi-Fi signal. I already have a fridge sitting in the office that I had just bought for the big truck and used maybe a couple of weeks before buying the new truck, so it's just been sitting. I have a twin bed in the office. So I already have some of the stuff I need to get set up.

    Now comes my "hook." Since I found out about the light weight which would probably end up being less than or about the same as a couple of WaveRunners on a trailer which I used to do like this:



    Sorry for the incomplete sentence! Anyhow, that was the car that I traded in for the 3D. But I have the '95 Camaro Z28 sitting in the garage waiting for me to get off my broke behind and get it together. So why not use that??? It needs paint, so I would probably try to do some House of Kolor. Since the car is originally Arctic White with black roof and mirrors, I think I would stay with that theme. Sort of. I have Abalone on my mind.



    I think you can also use the flake with black, so hopefully it would blend nicely. And it would be eye-catching, so I would be extremely recognizable on the road. And it might actually attract subscribers and since you now need 1,000 subscribers to get paid by YouTube I would need all the help I can get. Perhaps I could eventually get a drone with a tracking feature and film myself going up or down a mountain. Maybe through the redwood forest or something. My goal would be to put up a video every week if possible.

    And then I saw this pic with the non-traditional tow vehicle:



    But when I saw the next pic, I was all, "Heck yeah! If they can do it, so can I."



    I've been thinking a lot about selling the house lately, so that won't be a problem. I could stay on the road for extended periods. And once that has played out, maybe I could upgrade the rolling stock. Maybe get a larger trailer to tow behind the 3D. Or maybe even get a long bed 3D and set it up for camping without a trailer--probably not, though. Maybe work my way up to a real AirStream. Who knows.

    So, is this just too hare-brained to work? Would any of you have any interest? At all? Would you subscribe?

    Or should I just direct my energy in a different direction?
    That is one of the coolest ideas I've heard in some time, and think about how affordably you can travel with a virtual go anywhere rig. Cheap, too, considering the ED would hardly feel a unit like that behind it!

  9. #28
    RAM Ninja DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Posts
    2,122
    Member #
    1513
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1028 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Life is easier if you have a dream. Keep on trying your schemes If the money runs out and they all fail to pay off, at least you tried.

    Used little trailers just may be like larger ones, major depreciation. Look around on Craigslist and the Trader publications on line.
    Excellent idea! I was "kinda" thinking used, but I would really like to interview the manufacturer as part of my schtick. But I guess I could at least begin the journey without having brand new components.

    And another part of my schtick would be to start with the smallest, cheapest trailer I can find and work my way up to bigger and better as time goes on. And continue until I can't do it with the Camaro any more and move up to pulling some kind of car-carrying trailer/camper in the front section with the 3D.

    I've also thought of maybe getting a newer Camaro which would probably be more capable of towing something heavier to continue my schtick. Or maybe even finding a Camaro with a blown engine and swap in the VM engine!

    Yes, I know I'm living in fantasy land. Hard to keep myself in check!

    I was already planning to sell the house. So this would be a way to show how cheaply somebody can live. And the only way that I would maintain a "residence" would be if I could find a building in an industrial area VERY CHEAP and I would use that as my base of operations. Know any place? I've been hankering to move to Flarda ever since I towed my friend's tritoon down there to the Port Charlotte area. Who am I kidding? I've actually wanted to move to Florida for at least a couple of decades. But the visit to North Port just kicked it into overdrive.

    Quote Originally Posted by RudolfDiesel View Post
    That is one of the coolest ideas I've heard in some time, and think about how affordably you can travel with a virtual go anywhere rig. Cheap, too, considering the ED would hardly feel a unit like that behind it!
    Thanks! There's only one thing you missed:
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy
    But I have the '95 Camaro Z28 sitting in the garage waiting for me to get off my broke behind and get it together. So why not use that???

  10. #29
    RAM Ninja DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Posts
    2,122
    Member #
    1513
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1028 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    $40,000 minimum
    Sorry, I forgot to address this in the previous reply. Where does this figure come from? I already have the Camaro and it will take less than $10,000 to get it roadworthy--including a new transmission and rear end. The maximum I would be spending for the trailer is $7,000, but probably only half that. So the figure I come up with is less than half of your estimate. And despite having my head in the clouds, I'm really willing to listen if you've thought of something that I haven't that would double my start-up expense.

  11. #30
    RAM Silver Member howie12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,215
    Member #
    1600
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2344 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to address this in the previous reply. Where does this figure come from? I already have the Camaro and it will take less than $10,000 to get it roadworthy--including a new transmission and rear end. The maximum I would be spending for the trailer is $7,000, but probably only half that. So the figure I come up with is less than half of your estimate. And despite having my head in the clouds, I'm really willing to listen if you've thought of something that I haven't that would double my start-up expense.
    I did not do detailed calculations but listening to your description of the car with a fancy multi thousand dollar paint job, a new transmission and rearend, some fancy springs and other suspension gizmos, custom work by timbren or the air bag people-forgot which-,new wheels and tires, fixing other stuff so you don't have expensive trouble on the road(brakes, hoses belts, u-joints, front end components, shocks etc), new battery, custom hitch, light wiring, wings etc all sounds more like $20,000 to me for the car. I don't know when it last was run and whether it will need engine work or not you didn't mention it so I guess not. If the empty trailer is $7000 then you will easily spend another 3-5 thousand equipping it. It needs some wiring, probably an inverter to run the fridge, probably some kind of battery, at least a porta potty, some water tank. Probably a generator and a way to safely carry some fuel for it then an air conditioner. ANd then the drone and the video camera and editing software.........

    Anyhow, I think when you sweat all the details and cost it out it will be close to $40,000 by the time you are done. If you really want to do this just rent a small Uhaul for a week or two and hook it onto your Ecodiesel and go for a week or two and see if it is really what you want to do.

    ANyhow, it will cost what you spend but without a good plan it will cost a lot more than having a realistic and specific plan and budget and sticking to it. Furthermore if you spend the money and try it for a few weeks or months and don't like it probably half of what you spent will not be recoverable.

    I am now off this horse and good luck!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2017, 07:46 PM
  2. Truck ugly versus butt ugly
    By bpdougd in forum RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-17-2016, 07:49 PM
  3. What's the best nose hair trimmer out there?
    By codered in forum Off Topic Lounge
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-28-2016, 10:44 AM

Search tags for this page

hair on my butt
,

news

Click on a term to search for related topics.