Jeep Gladiator pickup first drive report by TRUCKTREND - Page 2

Jeep Gladiator pickup first drive report by TRUCKTREND

This is a discussion on Jeep Gladiator pickup first drive report by TRUCKTREND within the Off Topic Lounge forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel - Off-Topic Lounge category; Originally Posted by Captainmal Oh boy. Here's a hint that the new Ecodiesel may still be struggling with cooling issues. Darn, darn, darn ... Reading ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Jeep Gladiator pickup first drive report by TRUCKTREND

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Oh boy. Here's a hint that the new Ecodiesel may still be struggling with cooling issues.

Darn, darn, darn ...
    Reading the jalopnik article, the entire reason for the cooling issues on the gladiator has to do with packaging the ecodiesel into a wrangler style front end. Only so much space for radiator, intercooler, a/c condenser, etc. and they still wanted all the off-road approach angle and clearance. Looking at the front end of the 5th gen 1500, there should be plenty of space behind the grill and bumper (especially with the new air inlet made into the center of the bumper below the grill).
    howie12 likes this.
    2015 Limited, 3.55 LSD, bought 1/2017 (36k miles). GDE tuned since 3/17, 73k miles and counting.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6528 times
    Quote Originally Posted by navyr113 View Post
    Reading the jalopnik article, the entire reason for the cooling issues on the gladiator has to do with packaging the ecodiesel into a wrangler style front end. Only so much space for radiator, intercooler, a/c condenser, etc. and they still wanted all the off-road approach angle and clearance. Looking at the front end of the 5th gen 1500, there should be plenty of space behind the grill and bumper (especially with the new air inlet made into the center of the bumper below the grill).
    Agree that is what it said. What it means to me is the cooling system is not able to deal with that opening to work properly. To me that's a rather large opening. That should be more than enough air flow into a reasonable radiator. Evidently not.

Enough opening for a 3.6 gasser and not enough for the 3.0 EcoDiesel tells me the diesel operation and coolant design is still not good. Guessing that the future Ecodiesel 1500 package will again have coolant issues under heavy towing conditions in hot areas. Not what I wanted to read.

Time will tell.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    340 times
    I suspect aftermarket will come up with , either more powerful cooling fans or more efficient radiators. Still , for a lot of folks, towing a heavy trailer won't be a priority, or they just buy the Ram. I would think without a winch, the Gladiator front bumper could be opened up for a bit more air?
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    271 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Oh boy. Here's a hint that the new Ecodiesel may still be struggling with cooling issues.

Darn, darn, darn ...
    The problem, in my opinion, is the inter-cooler. If they could find a way to move it to another location it would help a bunch. Then again Cummins has zero cooling issues.
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2336 times
    Few if any Bargains out there on the Gladiator-

Following from Car and Driver

Jeep Gladiator Prices Are Soaring As Some Dealers Add Markups of up to $20,000
    The hottest new Jeep or a Mercedes-Benz E-class? Both are selling brand-new at similar prices.

On average last month, Americans spent an average of $56,000 on the 2020 Jeep Gladiator, which starts at $38,240 and tops out just above $62,000.
    Some dealers are marking up the Gladiator by thousands and even tens of thousands.
    As with any Wrangler, high customer demand and soaring resale values mean there is little to zero price negotiation.
    You, dear customer, choose whether or not to overpay at your local dealership. Right now, there are some Jeep dealers already making a killing on Wranglers who are out for Walking Dead slaughter with the 2020 Gladiator. Average transaction prices hovered around $56,400 in May, according to Cox Automotive, for a vehicle that's fully loaded at just over $62,000. Wonder if anyone is overpaying?

As of Wednesday, of roughly 3600 Gladiator pickups in U.S. dealer inventory listed on Cars.com, 60 percent are the top two Rubicon and Overland trims that max out with MSRPs of roughly $57,000 and $62,000, respectively. That makes sense. Then there are dealers piling on Mopar lift kits and custom wheel and tire combos, like a Gladiator in Gastonia, North Carolina, on 22-inch Asantis or another Gladiator in Gainesville, Georgia, with Nitto Mud Grapplers. As with any Wrangler, high customer demand and even higher resale values mean there is little to zero price negotiation. The Cox Automotive transaction average is based on 2584 Gladiator sales in May. Since deliveries began trickling in March, Jeep has sold 3021 Gladiator pickups through May.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    546 times
    Actually looked at a Jeep gladiator while I was getting the aem done on my truck and I was not impressed.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokedownbutgood View Post
    Actually looked at a Jeep gladiator while I was getting the aem done on my truck and I was not impressed.
    Yes it seems to me for most buyers it is either a toy or a status symbol they feel they need. There are bound to be a few where it just fits their needs, but I expect that is the minority.
    redsunBC likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 with 3:55
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokedownbutgood View Post
    Now I know I am not the only one. I saw one at the dealership yesterday. Did not look closely at it, but didn't like the looks of it at all. It didn't look proportional or something. Not a Jeep hater, I just didn't like it cosmetically.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Laramie ED 4x4 CCSB
    Liked
    25 times
    I saw one on the road the other day. It looked great as it was passing me...until I saw the rear end. It looked like a Fiat 500 for some reason. Definitely not worth the $20k markup I've heard some dealers were charging.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    171 times
    If I can only get one by over paying, I won't buy it. Hard enough to justify paying MSRP on any vehicle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links