Ford F-150 diesel

Ford F-150 diesel

This is a discussion on Ford F-150 diesel within the Off Topic Lounge forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel - Off-Topic Lounge category; I went to a F-150 diesel forum today. Pretty quiet on there. So far it is a solid truck from the looks of it....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Ford F-150 diesel

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    271 times

Ford F-150 diesel

I went to a F-150 diesel forum today. Pretty quiet on there. So far it is a solid truck from the looks of it.
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    340 times
    You should drive one. Nice truck, drives about as nice as my Ram, ride not quite as good, throttle response was very sleepy and the one that I drove got about 10 less mpgs than my Ram. GDE is working on a tune for them. Guys over there think they will be able to get crazy hp and torque numbers, good luck with that. The oil drain plug is a pita, and the sticker price will shock you. Still, a nice truck!
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6497 times
    So the forum is not talking about the EGR system and loose fasteners creating engine problems? The one I looked at sure had that as THE major topic.

Ford are glitzy with lots of plastic chrome. Makes them look as expensive as they are. For some that look is most important as it may provide some form of social status to their driving experience. Way out of my price range with a 60K warranty and those two timing belts. Not an option to me.
    HYDREX, 14Punisher and Liggett like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    271 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDREX View Post
    You should drive one. Nice truck, drives about as nice as my Ram, ride not quite as good, throttle response was very sleepy and the one that I drove got about 10 less mpgs than my Ram. GDE is working on a tune for them. Guys over there think they will be able to get crazy hp and torque numbers, good luck with that. The oil drain plug is a pita, and the sticker price will shock you. Still, a nice truck!
    I actually did test one in January. I agree. Bit stiffer of a ride but that increases their tow capacity. GDE says the cooling solution appears to be well thought out. I have a colleague with a Eco-boost and he has towed 10k with it. No problems with cooling. Ford does set that up will and Ram should take notes. I did get sticker shock but I was expecting it. It's only on the Lariat and higher models which is stupid.

Fit and polish is a problem in many brands right now. My Ram is 5 years old and I'm good with the "fit" I don't have loose parts and panels and rust (even underneath) is a minimum. However, there are clear corners they cut and it torques me off.
    HYDREX likes this.
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    340 times
    Being in Maine, I don't see such an issue with oil temperatures while towing, though the Laramie Longhorn grill is on my want list. Honestly, I think the Fords will start to have more EGR issues as they start racking up miles, too. Time will tell. If my Ecodiesel goes south, I would probably still go with another Ram, probably another hemi, as my company truck with a hemi and 3:21's gets great mpgs and has been bullet proof for 70,000 miles.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    273 times
    The only engine failures I've heard from them are known to be caused from the EGR bolts on recall. Otherwise it seems like a strong platform. I didn't notice the sluggishness compared to an ecodiesel, then again, mine had been burned down for a few months when i drove one.
    HYDREX likes this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1436 times
    Saw the 3rd one I have ever seen today on my way in. The guy was casually sipping a coffee on his morning commute. Didn't appear that he was worrying about a bottom end failure lol.
    navyr113 and HYDREX like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    340 times
    I always forget that I have a "Pedal Commander" set at Sport+2 makes my truck more punchy to drive and use a tiny bit of throttle, So, probably, our trucks, stock drive like the Ford. If I had the F150, first thing I'd buy would be a Pedal Commander for it. I think it's great that Ford and GM have small diesels! Maybe FCA will remove their head from the sand and fix the bottom end design or what ever causes the failure. BTW, saw a guy with a hemi, on the Ram forums have a connecting rod break and destroy the block. It happens. On the other hand, I've seen 250,000 mile hemis run fine with almost no oil and so full of sludge that the oil pick up screen was 90% plugged as was the pick up tube. Don't see our motors taking that kind of abuse. BTW, after cleaning out the sludge, that hemi has continued to run perfectly for 5 years.
    navyr113 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDREX View Post
    I always forget that I have a "Pedal Commander" set at Sport+2 makes my truck more punchy to drive and use a tiny bit of throttle, So, probably, our trucks, stock drive like the Ford. If I had the F150, first thing I'd buy would be a Pedal Commander for it. I think it's great that Ford and GM have small diesels! Maybe FCA will remove their head from the sand and fix the bottom end design or what ever causes the failure. BTW, saw a guy with a hemi, on the Ram forums have a connecting rod break and destroy the block. It happens. On the other hand, I've seen 250,000 mile hemis run fine with almost no oil and so full of sludge that the oil pick up screen was 90% plugged as was the pick up tube. Don't see our motors taking that kind of abuse. BTW, after cleaning out the sludge, that hemi has continued to run perfectly for 5 years.
    Exactly this. Any motor can have issues. Regular maintenance prevents most issues people complain about (that's been Vern's advice to all from day one, and look at how his truck has done and what it does daily), and a rough undertanding of basic mechanicals will usually sort out the rest. Any engine can and possibly will have problems. I came from a 5.0 F150, and you should have heard people bitch about any and every issue with those. One of the owners of a brand-new EcoBoost had a connecting rod go through the block after 11(!) miles of ownership. I fully understand and agree that for the price we pay for vehicles these days they should work without issue, but that's not always the case.

I do get tired of all "the sky is falling" reactions from people who who by and large haven't had any issues with their vehicles in regards ~6% of Ecodiesel owners who have had major engine issues/failures- that means ~94% of us haven't. Bottom line, no matter how good something is there will always be bad eggs. Shit happens.
    jetlag and DrivingZiggy like this.
    2015 Limited, 3.55 LSD, bought 1/2017 (36k miles). GDE tuned since 3/17, 73k miles and counting.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    36 times
    6% is a pretty huge number! if that is accurate.
    mitchmaclean and MAS like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links