What's a Used Vehicle Worth?

This is a discussion on What's a Used Vehicle Worth? within the Off Topic Lounge forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel - Off-Topic Lounge category; https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal...ars-depreciate There are links in the article to more of the same. Been lots of discussion on this forum about re-sale of the Ecodiesel. Just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What's a Used Vehicle Worth?

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6375 times

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal...ars-depreciate

There are links in the article to more of the same. Been lots of discussion on this forum about re-sale of the Ecodiesel. Just found this interesting.

Now read the first sentence in the third paragraph. "Typical" $100,000 ... vehicle". What planet do these writers live on?
    phprof likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie LTD Crew Cab ED Black of course.
    Liked
    501 times
    This article was most likely written by one of the manufacturers in order to continue to under value peoples cars so that they can getting a higher return when the resell it off of their lots.
    I can think of no other item on this planet that loses it's value so quickly.

Even my 10 year old plastic shed could still fetch me 50% of what I paid for it...
    2015 Laramie ED 1500 Crew 4X4 Loaded. At 42000 kms now
    2003 GMC Duramax 2500 Crew 6.6 litre Diesel 4X4 Loaded
    1993 Chevrolet 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel Ext Cab Loaded
    1986 GMC 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel REG CAB Loaded

Member #
    Liked
    468 times
    Besides book value, there is relative value. I bought my ED in November of 2015 for 43k, msrp was 53k. It was a year end closout so the relative value was based on the dealers motivation to clear it off the lot.

Today the book value is of course something less. But, the relative value can be based on two factors which are replacement cost and buyer demand for a 4 year old truck with 42k miles. Replacement cost would certainly be more than the 43k I originally paid, so to me my truck is still worth at least 43k; however, if I were selling privately or trading, my truck would be worth what supply and demand for a used ED would bring. Something much less than the 43k I originally paid.

I typically buy used vehicles and let the new car buyers take the big hit in depreciation. I grew a wild hair and just had to have a new ED. I don't regret my decision, it has been one of the best vehicles I have owned. When my wife wanted an ED Grand Cherokee last November, we did find an outstanding deal on a very low mileage Summit model. Less than 20k miles and paid about 10% less than NADA for year and options. Plus, it had been dealer owned since new so we get the whole settlement rebate.

Another value to factor in the 2014-2016 EDs is the substantial extended warranty awarded in the settlement. It does cover a multitude of common problems.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2299 times
    The answer to your first question is whatever a willing buyer will pay for it.

The answer to the second question is Earth. I am quite sure of it. SOme people like to have new and fancy cars. Some like utilitarian cars and trucks but boats and motorcycles and guns and whatever. That's the good news about our system as long as it lasts. If you have the money you can spend it however you like.

Expensive and highly optioned vehicles always depreciate faster than utilitarian vehicles. I once splurged $60,000 on a 3 year old 2002 Mercedes CL 600. THe sticker price was $133,000 and the car had just over 20,000 miles on it. It was a certified vehicle with a Mercedes 5 year 75,000 mile extended warranty and was virtually as new. What a fantastic machine. The 5.9 liter unturbocharged V12 was smooth silent, powerful and delivered 27 mpg at 70-75 on a trip but was in single digits when up against the speed limiter on the highways in Utah and Nevada. I drove it across the country several times. Bought it site unseen on Ebay and picked it up outside Washington DC when flying home from overseas and drove it home. A fun vehicle to have had but a good investment it was not and I did not expect it to be. Glad I had it for 5 years.

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Buy stuff YOU need. Invest in stuff OTHER PEOPLE need. The value proposition for each is very different.
    Dieselfever and Captainmal like this.
    Doug Dickerson
    "We have not inherited the Earth from our parents, we have borrowed it from our children."

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdougd View Post
    Buy stuff YOU need. Invest in stuff OTHER PEOPLE need. The value proposition for each is very different.
    can't quarrel too much with what you say, but it seems to me everyone needs to be allocate some resources, be it time or money or whatever to buy, do or get what you want. Now satisfying too many wants is not good but being unwilling to satisfy any is not so good either.

bticbw

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    can't quarrel too much with what you say, but it seems to me everyone needs to be allocate some resources, be it time or money or whatever to buy, do or get what you want. Now satisfying too many wants is not good but being unwilling to satisfy any is not so good either.

bticbw
    "Need" is, perhaps, too limiting of a word but alternatives made the sentence long(er) and (more) awkward. "Buy stuff that supports your self-actualization. Invest in stuff that supports others' self-actualization," just doesn't have the same ring. ;-))
    Doug Dickerson
    "We have not inherited the Earth from our parents, we have borrowed it from our children."

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie LTD Crew Cab ED Black of course.
    Liked
    501 times
    Used rigs are only worth what others are willing to part with...

I love it when sellers say; appraised at a Brazillian Dollars!

Yeah buddy, but it's over-priced at $10 grand...
    2015 Laramie ED 1500 Crew 4X4 Loaded. At 42000 kms now
    2003 GMC Duramax 2500 Crew 6.6 litre Diesel 4X4 Loaded
    1993 Chevrolet 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel Ext Cab Loaded
    1986 GMC 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel REG CAB Loaded

Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post

There are links in the article to more of the same. Been lots of discussion on this forum about re-sale of the Ecodiesel. Just found this interesting.

Now read the first sentence in the third paragraph. "Typical" $100,000 ... vehicle". What planet do these writers live on?
    Hi: Captainmal... I've lost more money on any truck I've owned, but actually made money on one of the fiberglass trailers I owned.
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    257 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post

It's Fox Business. They don't work in a "normal" reality.
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links