Three 1/2 Ton Diesels Compaired

Three 1/2 Ton Diesels Compaired

This is a discussion on Three 1/2 Ton Diesels Compaired within the Off Topic Lounge forums, part of the Off Topic Section category; The latest info that I have found regarding the GM inline 6. Read the article here... https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...cid=spartandhp...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Three 1/2 Ton Diesels Compaired

  1. #1
    RAM Silver Member Anomaly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    4,218
    Member #
    2200
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GMC Duramax, Ford 7.3 diesel
    Liked
    3200 times

    Three 1/2 Ton Diesels Compaired

    The latest info that I have found regarding the GM inline 6.

    Three 1/2 Ton Diesels Compaired-diesels.jpg

    Read the article here...

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...cid=spartandhp
    Captainmal likes this.
    Gene

    2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
    2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel
    1992 Ford E350 Navistar diesel

    "Science prevails over bullshit and superstition"
    -Me

  2. #2
    RAM Veteran Bgbdwlf2500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    518
    Member #
    35641
    Liked
    83 times
    Duramax is a torque monster, more tq at less rpm than the other 2

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    MAS
    MAS is offline
    RAM Silver Member MAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,799
    Member #
    8120
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1588 times
    I would have bought the GM in a heart beat over the ram or ford with those specs. Even if the GM was the bottom of the barrel on the performance specs I likely would have still gone with it because the inline design and I think they have a better strategy for dealing with the emissions systems.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

  5. #4
    MAS
    MAS is offline
    RAM Silver Member MAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,799
    Member #
    8120
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1588 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgbdwlf2500 View Post
    Duramax is a torque monster, more tq at less rpm than the other 2

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    The 2.7L 4 cylinder gas motor is also a torque monster for what it is, 348 foot pounds from 1500 rpm on.

  6. #5
    RAM Guru roegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,092
    Member #
    7094
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Limited
    Liked
    681 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    I would have bought the GM in a heart beat over the ram or ford with those specs. Even if the GM was the bottom of the barrel on the performance specs I likely would have still gone with it because the inline design and I think they have a better strategy for dealing with the emissions systems.
    My GM days are behind me - at least for a while. Until this RAM, I had driven all GM trucks and got rid of my last one due to excessive corrosion. It was a trend I'd seen on my last couple GM's. I live in the salt belt, and for me body construction and resistance to corrosion are just as important as the drive train. There is no excuse these days for lack of corrosion resistance, and dealing with rust problems can be just as frustrating as drive train problems. This may not be as important for those in mild climates. The body on my 2015 RAM has been excellent from this perspective. So far, much better corrosion resistance than my previous GM's. My biggest complaint so far? The small detent roller on the door hinges! I'm still looking for a lube that will quiet that roller as it spins with the door opening / closing.
    Ram1 likes this.
    2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel Limited, 3.92 gears, air suspension, towing package.

  7. #6
    RAM Professional Dieseldragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    648
    Member #
    36088
    Liked
    280 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgbdwlf2500 View Post
    Duramax is a torque monster, more tq at less rpm than the other 2

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Hi: Bgbdwlf2500... Maybe a larger feed bag with more oats for the horses Eh?
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

  8. #7
    Super Moderator VernDiesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    2,945
    Member #
    4056
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3772 times
    The GM has an aluminum block?? . Yikes Reminds me of the Cadillac 4.1 where mechanics would unwittingly over torque the intake manifold bolts after repairs or service and tweak the flimsy aluminum block just enough that the engine would self destruct like an Ecodiesel only with no warranty coverage.


    Hi: Bgbdwlf2500... Maybe a larger feed bag with more oats for the horses Eh? Only at WOT.
    Last edited by VernDiesel; 06-03-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    Haul N Grass and Captainmal like this.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

  9. #8
    RAM Veteran Bgbdwlf2500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    518
    Member #
    35641
    Liked
    83 times
    Quote Originally Posted by roegs View Post
    My GM days are behind me - at least for a while. Until this RAM, I had driven all GM trucks and got rid of my last one due to excessive corrosion. It was a trend I'd seen on my last couple GM's. I live in the salt belt, and for me body construction and resistance to corrosion are just as important as the drive train. There is no excuse these days for lack of corrosion resistance, and dealing with rust problems can be just as frustrating as drive train problems. This may not be as important for those in mild climates. The body on my 2015 RAM has been excellent from this perspective. So far, much better corrosion resistance than my previous GM's. My biggest complaint so far? The small detent roller on the door hinges! I'm still looking for a lube that will quiet that roller as it spins with the door opening / closing.
    I will do the opposite. Said I'd never buy a FCA product due to past experience from my dad but bought 2 at the same time due to wifes grandfather retiring from Chrysler. Shes already having electrical issues on her pacifica at 1 year and 25000 miles. Truck has been good at 2 years old as a leftover 17 I bought a year ago. Had 19 miles when I bought it, now has 15500 miles but I will go back to gm when I'm done with the ram. It's for sale if anyone is interested.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    RAM Jr Member ItsAlive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    48
    Member #
    23418
    Liked
    5 times
    The biggest sales point for the Duramax would be the inline 6 vs the V6 for ford and FCA.

    Also, with a "mild" hot tune, the Ecodiesel can much/pass the stock numbers from Ford/GM. Ford is getting some tunes already though and I'm sure Duramax will have some too.

  11. #10
    RAM Regular lucskoj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    256
    Member #
    6042
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAlive View Post
    The biggest sales point for the Duramax would be the inline 6 vs the V6 for ford and FCA.

    Also, with a "mild" hot tune, the Ecodiesel can much/pass the stock numbers from Ford/GM. Ford is getting some tunes already though and I'm sure Duramax will have some too.
    Only issue with tunes for duramax is I can see them using an encryption similar to the L5P duramax. Took them a few years to crack it for OBD tuning. But hopefully itís very similar and tuning happens right off the start.

    The Fords are always easy. F150 PS had EZlynk compatibility the first week I believe.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts