GM I-6 Diesel Article

GM I-6 Diesel Article

This is a discussion on GM I-6 Diesel Article within the Off Topic Lounge forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel - Off-Topic Lounge category; lots of good details including double EGR, high pressure and low pressure and a belt driven oil pump. read it at http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1906-...0l-duramax-i-6...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By howie12
  • 1 Post By MAS
  • 1 Post By TwoBobs
  • 2 Post By Juggernaught
  • 2 Post By VernDiesel

Thread: GM I-6 Diesel Article

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2371 times

GM I-6 Diesel Article

lots of good details including double EGR, high pressure and low pressure and a belt driven oil pump.

read it at http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1906-...0l-duramax-i-6
    97hmcs and VernDiesel like this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1515 times
    For all the things they have that I really like they sure have some that I don't.

Im not a fan of the electric water pump, belt driven oil pump, or that big a fan of block material. I feel like they are picking the pumps to cut parasitic loss to inflate performance numbers, only time will tell if they are reliable, but I would prefer not to have them. I feel like the block choice was a time and money saving choice, but again only time will tell.
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    223 times
    An all-aluminum block.

Makes me go "Hmmmmm..."

Bob
    97hmcs likes this.
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    lots of good details including double EGR, high pressure and low pressure and a belt driven oil pump.

read it at http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1906-...0l-duramax-i-6
    I'm also surprised by the choice of oil: Low-friction Dexos 0W20. Oil seems a bit light weight to me for a diesel engine.
    97hmcs and TwoBobs like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6646 times
    36,000 psi injection pressure.

Think the new Ram is 29,000 psi.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Belt driven oil pump.

That's a new failure point and increased maintenance expense.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3674 times
    Bet it’s going to be great. Doubt I would want it out of warranty. BTW what is warranty 60k? 10 years or 200k she probably would present too big of a risk to keep. That said so is the current ED. As listed several suspect fail points. With 36k psi fuel pressure 43psi boost & an aluminum block I don’t think tuners are going to want to pull more power out of this one. Be satisfied with it or buy a bigger Duramax.
    TwoBobs and Captainmal like this.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1515 times
    Would be interesting to know what they have done to the block as far as structural design, webbing etc. that would strengthen and stiffen it. I cant imagine that they brought out a first year motor and maxed out the performance of the largest component with no room for improvement.

But then again nobody does those kind of things on purpose.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3674 times
    Well I don’t mean totally maxed out. PPEI claims 60HP on a race tune for our ED. Still no problem with crank block or heads at that level that I know of. Well certainly bearings are suspect. Point is I don’t know about more rpms boost & fuel with an aluminum block. Would it be good for another 60 HP? I would think it would be suspect. I know to date Mfgrs have struggled with aluminum blocks especially anytime aftermarket ups the stress with more power & rpm. The article does reference some strengthening.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6646 times
    One thing I did like was the position of the turbo. Up there you can get at the thing and deal with any issues that might come up without pulling the body off to get at it. On the 2020 Ecodiesel that issue did seem to be different but not sure it was near the same. Just looked higher and a bit more to the side. If more accessible this "3rd generation" motor would be an even greater improvement.

Also will be earger to see if the same reluctor ring and injector timing equipment is still in place. The current design is one of the dumbest things going. At least they should mechanically fasten that ring rather than doing a glue job. Wonder if maybe the GM belt is not so bad after all depending on how they set the timing.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Sponsored Links