The Joys of RV’ing

The Joys of RV’ing

This is a discussion on The Joys of RV’ing within the Off Topic Lounge forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel - Off-Topic Lounge category; Blown tire on I 75. Horrible truck traffic to dodge. Got off road and spare on in a miserable sweat shop. State Police told me ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The Joys of RV’ing

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6501 times

The Joys of RV’ing

Blown tire on I 75. Horrible truck traffic to dodge. Got off road and spare on in a miserable sweat shop. State Police told me of a tire shop in Lake City.

Four hours total, stuck behind shot where I pulled into dead end, $400 and an expensive lunch for the wife-on road again.

Third replacement set of tires after originals in 9 years. I blow them often and then change. Tire man told me he never changed a worn tire on an RV.

Trouble finding campground late. Bugs bit me horrible. Hot. One propane tank full but not working with regulator. Beats me. Fridge near ruined food but beer ok.

TV signal non-existent. No WiFi. Rain. 13.5 mpg at 65-72 mph. Cool transmission best thing. Oil running 250 plus with coolant around 230 at cruise. Truck ok. Occupants ???

The joy of RV’s is not easy or cheap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Joys of RV’ing-a8e196e4-609b-49e3-b0b4-0ffa89d5abaf_1562843313495.jpeg  
    EcoD, sourdo and Last Train like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4357 times
    You & wife survived and so did the beer. Could have been much worse.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2374 times
    Try disconnecting the regulator from the propane tank , then make sure the valve opens easily,then reconnect the regulator and open the valve very slow ,this procedure allows the gas to slowly pressurize the regulator .... Not saying this will work , but most propane regulators have a safety that restricts propane flow if opened to quickly ...
    97hmcs and Captainmal like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1439 times
    I have had to take the propane tank off my gass grill and flip it upside down for a sec then flip it back over a few times to get it to work.

Not sure I completely understand it, a guy that fills propane tanks showed me, has something to do with a safety valve or something is what he said.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1439 times
    What tires you running capt?

Use to have really good service from carslile radials but they went to complete crap for the last few sets. The goodyear endurance are suppose to be good but I haven't tried them. I have always considered a properly sized LT tire a good replacement.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Lone Star Ecodiesel, 2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
    Liked
    13 times
    I came across a YouTube video recently that covered issues with trailer tires not lasting. There was a certain brand that was prone to failure. I think they were rebranded tires from China. Sorry to hear about your adventure. Pray my three weeks trip will be clear sailing. Pulling a 4000lb toy hauler from Abilene TX to Layton UT then on to Sturgis and back home. Maybe 3000 miles.
    Abilene TX
    2015 Ram 1500 Lone Star Ecodiesel
    2017 HD Ultra Limited Low

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3611 times
    “Tire man told me he never changed a worn tire on an RV.” . Truer statement has never been made. We camped over Independence Day weekend and I told the son in law he has one more summer on his original China bombs before he will need new ones. He said what for they are like new? I said you run 3 summers and the fourth requires new or you will learn where the term China bombs come from. A lot of Airstreams get new Michelin truck tires before leaving the dealership.

Wait Cap no excess temp transmission?.. what a great trip.

GDE’s said if it’s not 244 water 266 oil your good.
    MAS and Captainmal like this.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    560 times
    DT does sell an 80psi store brand trailer tire for about $65 a pop. Pulled my 8x24 cargo trailer with flood relief supplies to Baton Rouge w/o issue couple of years ago. Trail weight had to be 20k+ full of hammers,sheet rock, nails, ect.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 282k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 191k / 4,550 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1439 times
    To me most of the trailer tire issues is with age. They handle the weight fine till they are 2-3 years old.

Our TT came with Carslile radials they lasted 11 years before the first blew and we replaced them. Second set lasted 9 years before the first blew and we replaced them the 3rd set made it 2 years.

When we moved our dozer a couple years ago the tires on the gooseneck were 4 years old 14 ply I think load range g or f fully inflated and rated to carry more than was on them we blew 2 (had 2 spares) and peeled the third when we stopped took all the tires off and got a new set lol. Vern was right, they hit a few years old and fall apart.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1257 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    To me most of the trailer tire issues is with age...
    When we moved our dozer a couple years ago the tires on the gooseneck were 4 years old 14 ply I think load range g or f fully inflated and rated to carry more than was on them we blew 2 (had 2 spares) and peeled the third when we stopped took all the tires off and got a new set lol. Vern was right, they hit a few years old and fall apart.
    when carrying "big weight" , speed is your enemy ,
    temperature builds up in the tires to the point they blow up .
    sourdo likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links