Amsoil By-pass oil filtration on ED? - Page 5

Amsoil By-pass oil filtration on ED?

This is a discussion on Amsoil By-pass oil filtration on ED? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Accessories forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by Ransom Why would an excess injector sequence on the exhaust stroke add to the soot load? There is nothing to ignite the ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Amsoil By-pass oil filtration on ED?

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1557 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Why would an excess injector sequence on the exhaust stroke add to the soot load? There is nothing to ignite the fuel until it hits the catalysts, which is after the EGR valve (if I understand the system correctly)
    GDE has said that removing the pilot injection sequence does far more to reduce soot levels than does turning off the EGR. All that excess fuel creates a ton of soot.
    bobcat67 and Patroller8D like this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Lou
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 ecodiesel
    Liked
    120 times
    I ran an Amsoil bypass on a Ford F250 Crew Cab with a warmed up 390 it did a good job and reduced the wear on that engine.
    That truck got ran hard towing and turned 50,000 to 80,000 miles a year, some years 3/4 of those miles where towing.
    If I was planning on keeping my truck for 2 or 3 hundred thousand miles I would be tempted to install a bypass filter.
    I don't care what "improvements" they have made in the oil soot is abrasive if it can be removed it is removing a source of wear.
    In the posted excepts it does mention 1% as being a wear point.
    It never fails to amaze me the number of people that try to argue that a benefit is not good enough and because they don't want to NO ONE SHOULD.
    If you don't like or want to fine say so, but quit harping on it.
    Bounty Hunter likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 3500 Megacab. True Blue, SRW, AS69RC
    Liked
    84 times
    I agree with pilot injection and how introducing fuel at the wrong times will cause soot which is a biproduct of incomplete burn, such as post injection for regen. Yes my Cummins has some pilot injection and post injection but I do doubt it is to the extent of the ED. The Cummins is not as smooth or refined. I

I am not a hater of bypass but it reminds me of a few guys out on the range. Hand loading 338 Lapua to shoot in a 10K$ rifle out to 2 maybe 300 meters. With some patience, testing and data, you can greatly extend that and begin to really use it for its purpose.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 3500 Megacab. True Blue, SRW, AS69RC
    Liked
    84 times
    Soot is abrasive but there needs to be enough of it and not enough dispersant for it to conglomerate and become large enough to actually cause wear. Bypass still cannot filter out enough soot for it to be effective unless you are again, greatly extending your oil change index.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    274 times
    I would laugh my ass off if FCA comes out with a reasoning for the main bearing failures and it’s due to soot loading and emissions strategies.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bobcat67; 03-21-2019 at 09:37 PM.
    BrianF likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 BigHorn 4x4 3.55
    Liked
    64 times
    I've been locked out for 2 3 months due to a forgotten password and this sites CIA level of password recovery.

Anyway. In May, I installed an Amsoil bypass filter system on my 2018 @ about 7500 miles. I took the feed off the oil pressure sender and put the return back thru the side of the fill pipe. Mounted the filter assembly on the LF frame rail where it's handy to access during oil changes. I'm GDE tuned since 345 miles but the oil was black at my first oil change @ 6500. It was black again after 1000 more when I installed the bypass filter. I added approx. 1.5 more qts. for the filter setup giving me 12qts. of total capacity. The oil on the dipstick now @ 8500 looks like a gas engine after 500 miles on an oil change. WHO KNOWS? I'm of the school that cleaner oil can't help but increase engine life.

My last Ram 2500 was 20yrs old when I sold it in 2016. I'd like to hope I can get close to that out of this one but methinks this 2018 will die from electrical cancer before that time.
    Lou likes this.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1557 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Liggett View Post
    I've been locked out for 2 3 months due to a forgotten password and this sites CIA level of password recovery.

Anyway. In May, I installed an Amsoil bypass filter system on my 2018 @ about 7500 miles. I took the feed off the oil pressure sender and put the return back thru the side of the fill pipe. Mounted the filter assembly on the LF frame rail where it's handy to access during oil changes. I'm GDE tuned since 345 miles but the oil was black at my first oil change @ 6500. It was black again after 1000 more when I installed the bypass filter. I added approx. 1.5 more qts. for the filter setup giving me 12qts. of total capacity. The oil on the dipstick now @ 8500 looks like a gas engine after 500 miles on an oil change. WHO KNOWS? I'm of the school that cleaner oil can't help but increase engine life.

My last Ram 2500 was 20yrs old when I sold it in 2016. I'd like to hope I can get close to that out of this one but methinks this 2018 will die from electrical cancer before that time.
    I've had GDE since 457mi and my oil stays clean upwards of 7,000mi. I might consider bypass filtration someday but for now it's looking great at 80k.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Liggett View Post

What kit did you use exactly? Could you send a link?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 BigHorn 4x4 3.55
    Liked
    64 times
    Go to the Amsoil site and under remote bypass filters choose the "universal". You'll need to order the filter separate since it's not included with the kit.

The kit is BMK21 $290.65

Filter is Ea BP90 $41.50

Please use my ZO code 1445591 if you order and I will receive the dealer credit.

Thanks

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsored Links