F1 BakFlip Up Date

F1 BakFlip Up Date

This is a discussion on F1 BakFlip Up Date within the RAM 1500 Diesel Accessories forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; F1 BakFlip - fiberglass? Purchased in 2014 - $900.00 3 year warranty 4 years later - holds and leaks water. - cable bars release fall ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By grover_yyz

Thread: F1 BakFlip Up Date

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie Limited 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    296 times

F1 BakFlip Up Date

F1 BakFlip - fiberglass?
    Purchased in 2014 - $900.00
    3 year warranty
    4 years later - holds and leaks water. - cable bars release fall off.
    Last winter could barely unfold panels that were holding frozen water.
    Fail

Called Customer Service - way out of warranty told.
    Could do Friend and Family 50% off.
    Pass - Only 3 yr warranty again.

To be fair my truck sits outside rain or shine.

Ended up with a 1 owner Limited Lifetime warranty from Truxedo LowPro.

Researching finds that most covers are being made by one company.

https://truck-hero.com/products

Had to get something quick do to Travel Softball starting up this week.

Wife and Daughter likes the folding, now rolling, of the cover so they can pack tight our luggage and softball gear.... in our 5'7 truck bed with Ram Box

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2411 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EcoD View Post
    F1 BakFlip - fiberglass?
    Purchased in 2014 - $900.00
    3 year warranty
    4 years later - holds and leaks water. - cable bars release fall off.
    Last winter could barely unfold panels that were holding frozen water.
    Fail

Called Customer Service - way out of warranty told.
    Could do Friend and Family 50% off.
    Pass - Only 3 yr warranty again.

To be fair my truck sits outside rain or shine.

Ended up with a 1 owner Limited Lifetime warranty from Truxedo LowPro.

Researching finds that most covers are being made by one company.

https://truck-hero.com/products

Had to get something quick do to Travel Softball starting up this week.

Wife and Daughter likes the folding, now rolling, of the cover so they can pack tight our luggage and softball gear.... in our 5'7 truck bed with Ram Box
    Thanks for the report. I have wondered how those covers worked in cold country. I have a rollup cover and it works great. My 2000 Dodge had one from new until 2014 when I sold it and it was outside all the time and rollup cover stillwas good. At minus 20 F it rolled up and never cracked. All I did to it was give it a wipe with 303 a few times a year. The biggest problem was spring and fall when water could collect a bit on it and then freeze and if you didn't slide it off before you left it could fly off as a sheet at 50 mph or so

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    My cable release bar also failed. They are just riveted into the aluminum. I emailed customer service asking how I could repair them. I am the second owner and way out of warranty. They just mailed me a new rail. I will have to drill out rivets to remove the old one. Then drill new holes for new rivets. For extra measure I will use some epoxy on the rail to glue it in place along with the rivets.

They should had use larger rivets and/or epoxied them onto the panels.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie Limited ED Crew Cab "loaded"
    Liked
    39 times
    I am so disappointed with by bakflip G2. Fours years in and the foam inside is full of water. I will never buy another bakflip unless they change from a cheap foam to something that won't absorb water. I removed one panel and disassembled it. The foam alone weighed 14 pounds. I am going to rebuild the panel using the pink insulating foam which hopefully doesn't absorb water. What garbage for $1000.

Jerry
    Kazimodo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited Ecodiesel Crew Cab
    Liked
    14 times
    I have the pretty much the same experience with the F1. Locking mechanism where falling off and since it was already retaining water and leaking into the bed. I disassembled them, drilled through the panels, and used stainless hardware to reattached them to the panels. Defiantly will not be purchasing another bakflip cover. If I could have done it over again I would have just gotten a Diamondback cover. Buy once, cry once.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1420 times
    Thanks for the reports guys , 3 1/2 years ago I almost got one , ( so no regrets I guess ..)
    I found a used El Cheapo Mopar rag cover for $50 , figured I'd get that for temporary cover until I order a Back flip.
    I added mechanical strenght to the front to seal properly , that did stop all leaks ,
    I use silicone under foam before winters , so it does not freeze stuck to plastic .
    and I never get water in the box , even driving it torrential rain, parked outside year round in
    winter country , haven't felt the need for a Back flip yet , and now with those reports , even less.
    maybe an extra strip of foam would seal yours .https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-...763-_-10935405
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F1 BakFlip Up Date-img_2556.jpg   F1 BakFlip Up Date-img_2557.jpg   F1 BakFlip Up Date-img_2558.jpg   F1 BakFlip Up Date-mon-tonneau-cover-temporaire.jpg  

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    597 times
    Not a fan of my Bak G2 just had an entire support bar rip out and didnt notice it tell after a dump run. Bak did send me a replacement part at no charge even though it is out of warranty but I would not buy another one.

Sponsored Links