Best Tonneau Cover? Experiences welcome! - Page 11

Best Tonneau Cover? Experiences welcome!

This is a discussion on Best Tonneau Cover? Experiences welcome! within the RAM 1500 Diesel Accessories forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; In the spirit of the OP, here is some decent reviews on three models of tonneau covers I've had on my truck in only 2.5 ...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Best Tonneau Cover? Experiences welcome!

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    510 times

MY experiences with tonneau covers - Undercover FLEX

In the spirit of the OP, here is some decent reviews on three models of tonneau covers I've had on my truck in only 2.5 years of ownership.
    I've had a Undercover Flex, then a Bak Revolver X2, and now a Truck Covers USA model with the integrated toolbox.
    Here are the pros/cons of each so far, starting with the Undercover Flex.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Initial goal
    I needed to find a tonneau cover my 6'4" non-Rambox bed for keeping work items secured in the truck. For security, this needed to be a hard tonneau, which meant I was going to spend a decent amount of dough compared to the soft roll-up ones. Since I'm a pretty cheap person (even though I bought a NEW truck, go figure???), naturally I'd have to do some shopping.
    I absolutely did not want a solid one-piece tonneau that takes 2 people to remove. This is just plain inconvenient when you're alone and need to haul something, or you're away from home and don't want to leave your cover behind.
    Newer one-piece units are lightweight, but they still can't store easily. I needed something that would be folding, rolling, retractable, etc. but was able to be removed quickly in case I needed to haul anything large, and still be able to take it with me (back seat, inside bed, etc.).
    I needed it to be well-protected from weather intrusion.
    I didn't want something that required mutilating the bed with bolting on tons of brackets and stuff. So much is out there that's a clamp-on installation, so my options were good.
    I wanted something that would integrate with a headache rack.
    I wanted something that would still allow access to stake pocket tie-downs.
    I wanted something that would allow me to put a toolbox in the bed for additional tool security and keeping things generally organized inside.
    I wanted to find one that would also allow me to put an ATV in the back of my full 6'4" bed with the tailgate up - for safety and maneuverability, but also wouldn't want to restrict myself from being able to tow a trailer too.
    With the tailgate up, my Yamaha Raptor 660R needed 6.5" from the front bulkhead in order to work with a tonneau, or else find one that was easily removable:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looked like my best option was a hard tri-fold.
    Any of the tri-fold solutions from BAK, Undercover, etc. all are pretty similar in size and performance and can be found for several hundred. Some are built better than others, and can carry weight on top - not something I really needed, but nice to have the durability. Can be used in full upright position.
    Agri-Cover LOMAX - a nice setup with all-aluminum panels on top. No vinyl to worry about rotting out. Easily removable. Can't be used in upright position, so it must be stored if using the full bed length.
    Rugged Cover has a fixed front portion - no bueno for me.
    Fold-a-cover has a pretty awesome setup. They are heavy duty, and have a "Personal Caddy" that mounts in the front that would be able to perform as a toolbox, since the front portion folds open too. They are easily removable so I could theoretically take it off for the ATV, but then I'd lose my toolbox. Bummer - what a great idea though.

Less than a month of having the truck, someone had a cover on Craigslist local to me for a good price. Undercover Flex. The guy told me it takes up 6.5" of bed space when folded up - perfect. I drove to get it and it was well-used, but good enough for a $475 sale. I got a lot of use out of this and sold it a year later for $450, so I did pretty well on it.
    Here's how it worked for me. DISCLAIMER: I bought this USED. It was probably 3-5 years old. My notes below reflect as such. Maybe it would have performed differently when new.
    Questions:
    #1) What brand of Tonneau Cover do you have? Type? Model?
    Undercover Flex FX31004
    #2) Why did you choose this cover?
    It fit my needs described above, and was a "craigslist special" sale.
    #3) What are the pros and cons?
    PROS:
    Lightweight, easily removable.
    Is able to be driven in the full folded position and only take up 6.5" of front space.
    Allowed me to install Bull Ring SS flush anchors.
    Because I bought it used, the latches were broken-in well, so it opened and closed easily.
    I could unfold it from either side, let the rear panel drop from a just few inches up, and it would slam and latch. I could do this while still standing at either side of the truck.
    Tailgate could be opened independently of the cover. It could be closed too, but see below.
    I never had a headache rack, but this could be used with certain models designed for use with covers.
    CONS:
    Used drain tubes. However, the previous owner had them only about 6" long in the front and they worked by draining into the stake pocket from inside the bed - no problems there, I never damaged them this way.
    Tailgate had to be opened in order to open the cover - pull latches underneath, no outside access. Getting something out of the bed required the tailgate to be opened first. (A PRO of this, perhaps it offered good security this way?)
    Tailgate realistically could be opened independently of cover, but it was harder to shut it with the cover closed. The rear edge of the panel had a rubber seal that would sag in warmer weather when the tailgate was down, so when the tailgate was shut, it would get squished between instead of sitting on top of the tailgate by design. Closing the tailgate was easier to open the rear panel, shut the tailgate, then let the rear panel slam back down and latch.
    The first time I used it in the full folded upright position, I immediately hated it. I could not see behind me, nor could I see my load. It was unnerving, and ultimately what caused me to buy another cover.
    It leaked, but I bought it used (see below).
    #4) How long have you owned/used this cover? Any Commons issues?
    I used it for approximately 7 months. It was good for my application.
    I never got a chance to use it with a toolbox, but I imagine it would have performed just as well as the one that eventually replaced it (BAK Revolver X2)
    #5) How well does it keep water out?
    DISCLAIMER: I bought this used. If I actually took the time to clean it and wipe all the rubber seals with silicone grease, and apply fresh foam weatherstrip to the side brackets, it may have performed better. I'll never know.
    It leaked around the edges, and in the middle at every folding point. Because of the truck's rake, water would pool near the front edge of each panel, and it would drip there. Nothing catastrophic, but enough to make me look elsewhere for another cover. The rubber on the sides was thick and bulky, and never laid completely flat since it was distorted every time the cover folded.
    #6) How is the Security?
    The locking tailgate prevents access to the only release mechanism - inside the bed.
    The latch teeth are plastic. I believe this cover could be pried open, but it would have to be aggressively pried open, probably making lots of noise. The frame is aluminum, the panels are black FRP on the inside and outside - tough stuff, hard to break easily.
    I'd rate its security well-above a soft-tonneau that can be slashed open with any blade, but below a heavy all-metal cover or one-piece bed cap.
    #7) What would you add or change to this cover, if possible?
    It depends on the user's needs. These tri-folds are really all similar in design.
    #8) Weight load capacity?
    Website states 400lbs. I assume this is "evenly distributed." I don't know how much trust I'd put in these specs, but I didn't buy it to put stuff on top.
    #9) Would you buy this cover again or buy a different cover? Which one and why?
    I would not due to the lack of rear visibility. The water issues are probably better when new and with proper maintenance, but the inability to see out was not a good feeling. I replaced this with a Bak Revolver X2, and that was replaced with another cover.

Last edited by DJL_57; 04-22-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    2015 RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel/8HP70 4x4. QC 6'4' 140" WB. Factory options: Protection Group, Exterior Appearance Group, Trailer Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Popular Equipment Group, 3.92, Anti-Spin, UConnect 5.0, ParkView
    List of mods - DJL_57'S RAM

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    510 times

MY experiences with tonneau covers - BAK Revolver X2

Enter the search for a different cover. I found a lot of options out there, but all of the retractable covers took up a ridiculous amount of bed length when fully retracted. I came across the Bak Roll-X and the newer model Revolver X2, and the Truxedo Titanium.
    Pretty cool - an aluminum hard cover with a one-piece soft top. no folding seams meant no leaks in the middle of the bed.
    BAK advertised them as taking up 12" of bed space, but talking to a few fellas on here and other online research showed me they only take up 6" if rolled up properly.
    The latching teeth the whole way down the side of the bed offered better security than the Undercover. That means the side of the cover was secured along the full length, not just at each hinge point.
    I ruled out the Truxedo Titanium, it sits above the bed and uses Velcro along the sides like the soft covers use. I don't have a lot of faith in Velcro holding up to repeated opening/closing, and heat in the summer from eventually destroying it based on seeing how Jeep soft tops hold up.
    My only concern was heat destroying the vinyl top. I put my mind at ease that a lot of people buy vinyl tonneau covers and have no issues.
    You guessed it - I found a lightly used Revolver X2 on Craigslist. It was less than a year old in great shape and an awesome price - I agreed to pick it up in Southern CA for $400 (literally less than half price). My dreams were answered! I was laid up from a knee surgery and unable to help build a fence in my backyard, so it made for a nice distraction to spend the day on the road.
    The cover comes with 2 rubber strips to use, depending if you have a plastic bed liner over the bulkhead or not. The guy gave me the extra one, but I couldn't tell if it was the larger one or the smaller one. I contacted BAK just to ask about it to determine if I had the correct one or if I needed to go buy another strip at a local hardware store, and they offered to just send me a new install kit with both rubber strips, so I would know which one was which (didn't even ask me where I bought it, etc). So that was pretty cool on their part.
    I got over a year and a half of use out of this cover, and yet managed to sell it for $525...so yeah I made out REALLY well on it, including the fuel it took for me to go pick it up.
    I used this tonneau for over a year and loved it until I started having issues.

Questions:
    BAK Revolver X2 39213
    It fit my needs described above, and was a "craigslist special" sale. This cover would also allow me to see out the back window even when fully retracted. A one-piece top surface would reduce possible leaks to only the outer edges.
    PROS:
    Can drive in full open position and only take up about 6" of front space.
    Tailgate could be opened AND closed independently of the cover. The rear strip was inside, not on top of the tailgate.
    Cover could be closed regardless of tailgate open/closed. But it was usually easier to close it with the tailgate open due to the latch arrangement, then just shut the tailgate.
    Worked just fine with my Bull Ring SS flush anchors. Covered up less of them since the side seal was not as bulky as the Undercover.
    It only ever leaked around the edges and corners, and very slightly. This thing was really awesome at keeping the bed dry.
    Worked very well with my Highway Products Fifth Wheel toolbox, as the pictures showed. I never got around to mounting my toolbox, it just sat on my rubber bed mat and was heavy enough it didn't move around much. I usually had the toolbox across the rear of the bed. A few times, I moved the toolbox to the front of the bed when I had to haul something large. I was able to open the toolbox and access my tools with this cover installed. I was able to roll the front tires of my ATV onto the toolbox (because it's a very thick plate aluminum box that weighs twice as much as the ones you buy at Home Depot or Lowe's) and still put the tailgate up. It fit my application perfectly.
    I never had a headache rack, but this could be used with certain models designed for use with covers.
    CONS:
    Not easily removable - once it's mounted, it requires tools and complete disassembly. But because it doesn't take up as much room, I never found a need to remove it.
    Not as easy to close as the tri-fold. This cover required unrolling it all the way, then standing to the rear of the bed, and gently pressing down on the rearmost panel on both rear corners with two hands at the same time in order to get them both to latch.
    Can only be used in full-open or full-closed positions. MUST be secured when rolled up - I forgot to one time, and it unrolled when I accelerated. I had something long sticking out one corner of the bed that it flopped onto, but latched on the opposite side.
    BAK's placement of the clips for the straps is not user-friendly. I never figured out how to use it properly, always just found a way to roll it up tightly and cram the strap into the clip. Pulling the strap to tighten it yanks upward on the clip at the front - a piece of black plastic that's exposed to the sun...not good.
    The aluminum underneath gets ridiculously hot. The BLACK vinyl on top of it really heats it up. It was parked in the sun one day and I rolled it up, stood in the bed, and leaned against it wearing shorts. Quickly learned my lesson.
    Vinyl top - ultimately what caused me to buy my next cover in all-metal. DISCLAIMER: I bought it USED, but it was only about a year old and well-taken care of. The previous owner gave me a bottle of Truxedo vinyl tonneau cover spray conditioner that he got from the dealer that sold it. I kept this thing cleaned and treated with the stuff every 2-3 months. It always cleaned up nicely, but attracted dust like you wouldn't believe. After about another year, the vinyl started falling apart. For a product with a 3 year warranty, for the vinyl to come apart after 2 years is unacceptable.
    Felt strips underneath also started falling apart about the same time. See above why these are necessary - you'll burn the hell out of your hand rolling it up without them.
    Also, last summer (about the same timeframe), it wouldn't shut one day. About 6" from the end, it wouldn't roll flat - two of the aluminum slats were bound up near the driver's side. The passenger side would roll flat and latch but the driver's side wouldn't. I had a truck full of sensitive equipment and had to spend the night in a hotel, this was almost a bad situation. From underneath I hit it with my hand until it loosened up. I had this happen several more times over the next few months, and it was always at the most inopportune time.
    To BAK's defense, I contacted them with pictures of the vinyl issues and the felt strips, a long shot for warranty (these have a 3 year warranty). They initially responded they would REPLACE the cover as soon as I could provide proof of purchase. I explained I didn't have it, but sent them a picture of their serial number and date code label which clearly showed it being less than 3 years old. However, they just stopped responding completely which pissed me off because, the build date code showing it was only 2 years old obviously meant the cover was within a 3 year warranty. By that time I was fed up, already in the market for a replacement, and had it listed on craigslist to unload it before the vinyl got any worse and I ended up with something nobody would want.
    I used it for approximately 1 year and 7 months. It was amazing for my application before it started having issues. I think having the aluminum underneath it getting so hot made this vinyl less durable than a regular soft top.
    This was excellent for keeping water out. Because of the rake of the truck, and the fat weatherstripping across the front making the front edge taller than the rest, it would gather water in a large puddle near the front. As the puddle expanded to the outer edges of the cover, it would drip near the front corners of the bed, but never a lot. I had just recently replaced the windshield wipers on my Pontiac G8, and the old driver's side wiper blade was a massive 24" so I repurposed it and used it as a squeegie to shed excess water off when I was parked for long periods of time. Honestly it was good with inclement weather.
    #6) How is the Security?
    The locking tailgate prevents access to the only release mechanism - inside the bed.
    The latch teeth are plastic. I believe this cover could be pried open, but it would have to be aggressively pried open, probably making lots of noise.
    This cover has a mechanism that latches it the full length of the bed, not just at each hinge point.
    This is more secure than a hard tri-fold, but the plastic teeth are still a weak link. It would take a lot of time and effort to pry it open, but it's probably not quite as secure as something that uses all metal or a one-piece bed cap.
    Get rid of the vinyl. That's it.
    Website states 400lbs "evenly distributed." I don't know how much trust I'd put in these specs, but I didn't buy it to put stuff on top.
    I would not buy this unless it was made with a powdercoated all-aluminum top, instead of vinyl. BAK and other retractable tonneau companies make a vinyl model and an all-aluminum option, but BAK hasn't yet made an all-metal one that rolls backward like the Revolver X2. If they could figure that out, they'd have a winner. Otherwise, the vinyl proved to be way too high-maintenance for me, as I kept it treated approx. every 2 months with a high quality cleaner and UV protectant, yet that still wasn't good enough. I don't know what the recommended maintenance is, but anything more than a few times a year is ridiculous. BAK would have replaced it if I had proof of purchase, but I wasn't the original owner so oh well.

Last edited by DJL_57; 04-22-2018 at 08:48 PM.
    2015 RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel/8HP70 4x4. QC 6'4' 140" WB. Factory options: Protection Group, Exterior Appearance Group, Trailer Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Popular Equipment Group, 3.92, Anti-Spin, UConnect 5.0, ParkView

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    510 times

MY experiences with tonneau covers - Truck Covers USA American Work Cover

Well, I needed something else. As stated above, BAK doesn't make a Revolver X2 in all-metal construction. I won't ever get vinyl again as long as I live in the valley heat.
    I started looking at retractable alumimum covers, some companies make them with a vinyl top like my previous cover, but they also offer all-metal ones.
    ALL of these have a canister in the bed that would prevent me from using my in-bed toolbox at the front. And none of them will take up less than 6.5" up front:
    Truck Covers USA has an 8x8 canister but they told me the cover takes up 13.5" of length
    Retrax - 13.5"
    Gator Trax 11" - this one covers the stake pockets
    Pace Edwards switchblade 10.5" (removable canister)
    Leer Ricochet removable canister
    Rollbak
    Roll-n-lock 10.5" this one has an extrusion that bolts to the tailgate. The cover must be unlocked in order to open the tailgate - too much of a pain. I open the tailgate to grab things more often than I open the cover.
    Patriot Stealth

I basically lost hope for putting the ATV in the back. And, considering that I haven't ridden it in 6 or 7 years, I don't even know why it was a priority in the first place. I decided to find something that fit my more importantly daily needs rather than the absurd occasion I'd ever go riding.
    I also considered some heavy-duty all-aluminum bi-fold ones like the Diamondback or Highway Products.
    The Highway Products one has a fixed front section, so it wouldn't be easily removable or allow access to a front-mounted toolbox.
    The Diamondback cover seemed more versatile with an opening front panel, but it was still not easily removable.
    I briefly considered getting a Fold-A-Cover with Personal Caddy, but didn't want to rely on the tonneau for securing tools. I still needed a dedicated toolbox.
    Truck Covers USA is the only option for a retractable all-metal tonneau and a toolbox built into one unit, but they are ridiculously expensive. Once I realized their cover alone is about $1600, and so are all the other competitive models, the extra price for adding a heavy steel toolbox didn't seem so bad - especially when you look up prices for quality all-steel boxes like a Weatherguard.
    I figured I'd wait until Black Friday to try to score a deal online somewhere. Nobody was having good coupon codes or anything, so I walked into a local dealer to see what kind of price I could get. He quoted me a price on the spot that I accepted - including CA sales tax, it was less than I'd pay anywhere else online, and they'd handle the installation.

Questions:
    Truck Covers USA CR303 American Roll Cover with large toolbox (CRT303 American Work Cover)
    Easy, instant access to toolbox without having to open tonneau cover first. Extremely well-built.
    PROS:
    Tailgate can be opened and closed independently of the cover.
    Cover can be opened or closed regardless of tailgate open/closed. This has an internal release when the tailgate is open, or a key lock on top.
    Works OK with my Bull Ring SS flush anchors. It nearly covers them up, but I still barely have access to them for tying things off.
    Everything about this thing is heavy-duty. The side rails are monstrous compared to the other two tonneaus. Since I got this near the end of 2017, and started a new career in January 2018, I haven't had time to use the truck for anything but commuting. But I'm certain I could drop some stuff on this cover or on the side rails and not worry about damaging them. With the other covers I was very careful when handling material around the side rails especially.
    Can be driven in full-closed, full-open, or every 12" in between.
    Extremely easy to open and close from the sides or rear.
    The toolbox is all-steel construction and uses really high-quality mechanisms. Because of its construction, if I wanted to haul the ATV, I could just roll the front tires on top of the toolbox and still be able to close the tailgate (I haven't tested this yet, but it would handle it).
    The toolbox is larger than it looks. My Highway Products fifth wheel box was completely filled, yet somehow, I was still able to fit everything in this toolbox, and come out better-organized. Instead of one large chest, it offers some multi-level storage.
    CONS:
    Consider this permanently mounted. It's not something that you ever want to remove on a regular basis, it takes some fine tuning to get it adjusted and mounted properly.
    There were a few holes drilled in the insides of the bed rails to mount the canister.
    I lose bed length, but the actual volume inside the bed is probably the same as the Highway Products Fifth Wheel box I used previously.
    Can't use in-bed toolbox at the front of the bed with this type of tonneau cover. Obviously I don't need that now. Also, my HP box can still be put in the rear of the bed if I ever need it to secure anything additional.
    It uses some really bulky drain tubes. I told the installer DO NOT drill holes for the drain tubes, I'll figure that out. I found a way to use some factory holes in the bed to route them without drilling any holes, and somewhat getting them out of the way of potential damage. Time and use will tell.
    This cover itself could be used with some specialty headache racks designed for use with covers, but the toolbox doesn't really allow that to happen now. If I still want to add one, it will have to be a custom fab job.
    I've had it for about 4 months. No issues yet.
    It only leaks near the tailgate. There may be some adjustment to work out - something I haven't had time to address or let the installer adjust. No other leaks at front, sides, middle, anything.
    I had some snow on it up where I'm living right now, and been through a lot of cold and freezing lately. No issues with movement.
    #6) How is the Security?
    The locking tailgate prevents access to the release mechanism inside the bed. A good quality keyed lock (not your typical CH751 that everyone has on their RV key ring) is available outside.
    The same key opens the toolbox. Toolbox can be opened from either side.
    The cover is secured along the full length of the bed inside an aluminum track, and the latch teeth are steel.
    Ever have something that just screams "industrial grade" just by looking at the way it's built? That's this thing. I think these styles of covers are more secure than the fiberglass caps since those can be pried on and cracked open. Metal bends before it breaks. This cover in particular is really well-built.
    No comments so far.
    Website states +500lb (again I assume "evenly distributed"). This cover I expect could handle some weight better than the others.
    Based on my positive results with this cover so far, and the amount of money I dropped on it, it's here to stay. If I get a different truck anytime soon, it will have to be a 6'4" bed just so I can re-use this cover! It's the cat's meow.
    Based on a few friends that have had them for a few years, they last forever, and the company is very eager to please their customers. They have a 2 year warranty but also a "good faith" policy where they'll send a replacement latch for the toolbox or other things even if it's outside of those 5 years.
    I'll chime back in to this thread in the future to update my thoughts.

Before cramming my tools into the box, I bought one roll of this material:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    The bottom of the box was a simple rectangle, but I spent over an hour carefully measuring and tracing the whole thing out for the top tray so it would be one large piece, no gaps or joints. It is pretty good stuff. I usually use 1/4" thick rubber mat but this product is probably better for the tools. I wish I took a picture before I filled it up!
    Last edited by DJL_57; 04-23-2018 at 06:31 PM.
    TwoBobs likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    3 times
    Just ordered a Roll N Lock M series with the Cargo Manager for my new 2017 Crew Cab Ecodiesel. It's got the Ram factory drop in liner already, but I ordered the Bedrug for the floor as well.

Looked at all the combinations I could find, and I think this is what works for me. I'll let you know once I get it all installed.!

Member #
    Vehicle
    (onOrder) 2018 Sport/Quad/3.92/ED
    Liked
    129 times
    I have the factory one on my truck, try-fold vinyl cover. I like it because it's quick and easy to take off, must importantly it is super light so I can put lots of weight in the truck.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Sponsored Links