RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

GM 3.0L diesel

33K views 139 replies 46 participants last post by  howie12 
#1 ·
#94 ·
I would like to see it, the claimed hp and efficiency would be nice.
I'm not sure how the torque curve runs out. The noise can be addressed.
Also this noise about lubricating the crank, your existing engine does not run in oil,
if it wasn't for the oil pump pushing oil to the crank it would seize.
Since the old dipper splash lubricated engines there hasn't been an engine that used the crank to lubricate by being in close
proximity to the oil level other then low power short lived small engines

#95 ·
They've been R&Ding the idea for years now and I don't think they have anything in production. In 2015 they reportedly had 5 different engine applications including passenger vehicle, military, light/heavy commercial, and marine stationary power generation. The noise issue probably best suits industrial applications.

For now I'm more interested in hearing some news about real world practical stuff like GM's inline 6.

#122 ·
Well, the engine is definitely more interesting than Mr. Truck. He needs to be replaced. They didn't say their 150,000 mile rating was a B10 rating or anything else so it is hard to know what it means. If it was a B10 I think that means 90% of the engines will make 150,000 miles without a major engine problem. I guess the current Ecodiesel meets that life even with the failures we have.

#100 ·
Gonna watch both later. My first impressions are very positive. Love the layout of the turbo and injector pump. Must go right now but will look later today when I can make time. One thing bugs me. That stupid flashing LED light angle on the front sure is obnoxious to me. That's why they make rolls of black tape.

Vern - Thanks for the links.

#105 ·
I still thouroughly enjoy and am interested in reading about the new trucks, but the complexity, emissions, cost, and reliability of them is just too much for me to stomach. Im pretty sure whenever im done with the ecodiesel im going back in time to something much simpler.

#106 ·
I completely agree, vehicles need to be simpler. They basically need a reboot. They're like windows xp that hasn't been reinstalled in 5 years. Enter Tesla. While the software is complex, the overall mechanism isn't. Just a battery and some motors. I got a chance to ride in one and I'm a believer. If only you could swap out batteries at fueling stations, I'd get one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#110 · (Edited)
Well that Chevy 3.0L diesel shows up with a BELT to turn the oil pump. Then the design engineer talks of a 150,000 mile targeted engine life. "Mr. Truck" talks to him about the Cummins and a 300,000 mile design life. He laughs. Not a very pleasant exchange of information to me.

Then I see this one-piece DPF/DEF device up high attached to the engine. Good if it works. Looks complicated. Just like the EGR system. Both systems seem to be so compact and integral that they might be difficult to turn off or delete.

After further observation I like what I see if it works. No glue-on injection timing ring to come apart. At least that is a positive along with the operational torque and rpm characteristics. This engine bears more study.

Reactions: idoseadoo
#112 ·
Pretty much all engines these days are designed with a 150k "expectancy". That doesnt mean that they expect all of them to fail by 150k, it means that they would expect some small percentage of them to have an issue by then, but that a huge majority would continue on without issue. It's also probably taking into account owner neglect and abuse. You could have some moron who never changes his oil make it to 150k.

Don't tell me you think the ED was designed any better, lol.

#113 ·
Chevy is the only one who really figured out what these diesels are for. Its not heavy towing. 11,000+ lb tow ratings on these diesels are absolutely ridiculous unless you live in Florida or somewhere on the Gulf coast where the tallest hill is actually a bridge.

The Duramax is the only one that seems to have its HP figures somewhat aligned with the towing capacity. I think a 278hp motor could probably tow 9300 lbs or whatever pretty well. 11,xxx lb out of a 250 or 260 hp Powerstoke or EcoD, HAHAHAHAH.

Out here in the Rockies, the absolute max I would put behind these trucks would be 5000-7000 lbs. I know towing my 5500 GVWR trailer that there have been climbs where I have used as much as 300hp out of my Ecoboost to maintain 65mph. Mind you, this is in an 80mph zone so people are blowing by me 15-20 mph faster when I am doing 65. Getting bogged down to 45-50 because of a weak motor sounds terrible.

#114 ·
Seems like Ram was the first to figure out what they are for. Good economy in a smallish pickup. Ram didn't rate them at 10k towin. 14-18 is rated at most a little over 8k and if you have 3.55's a little under 8k.

I wont pretend to know much about towing in mountains here in south texas, but you don't have to pull the steepest grades at the "MAX" posted "LIMIT" slow down, most people do.

#115 · (Edited)
Well they seemed to have forgotten then, since they are rating this new ED at 12,560 or so.

Did I not just say I am doing 15-20 mph below the limit? Let me know how uncomfortable things get when you are doing 45mph up some grade while people are blowing past you at 80-85. Its not fun. People are stupid and things could go bad very quickly with that kind of speed differential. I've seen cars(and a motorcycle) smack into the back of 18 wheelers around here because they didn't notice how fast they were coming up on them. The difference is that I don't tow a 60000 lb trailer that is 53 ft long.

All I am saying is, if you want to tow with these diesels, don't kid yourself. Be realistic. If all you do is tow on flat ground then you probably can do 9000 lbs but start getting into the hills and mountains and you really need to dial it back. Its not safe to be going that slow for you or anyone else. Don't give me the "its not a race" crap.

#116 ·
I live in AZ and we have plenty of mountainous roads with 6-8% grades +, and I'm pulling my toyhauler at 7200+ lbs loaded up those hills, and also in UT & CO as well. There are times when I get down to 40-45 mph, I don't push it hard, watch my temps and get up the hill. I don't get nervous about people being behind me and I'll pull over and let folks by when I can. It isn't any different than following a semi truck up these same roads slowed down due to load weight and road grade! You drive for the conditions, if someone else wants to be impatient and reckless.., that's on them!

#117 ·
Big trucks used to really struggle up major mountain hills. Loaded it was not uncommon to see them geared down and doing like 30 mph.

Today it seems the big rigs just have more power and can run in the 40's or more heavily loaded. Well, most Ecodiesels can also do that while towing heavy. Never should you expect to maintain top highway speeds on major climbs. Still, you can do big-rig traffic speeds and be safe in the crowd. The little 3.0 diesels are fine under tow that is appropriate for the 1/2 ton.

#118 ·
Yea GDE 3.92 31.9” tires SLT grill I’m normally climbing grades with TTs at 55 mph. I’m good with this. When 4 wheelers steam by at 65 & sometimes more in the hammer lane I’m not bothered. If it’s a long 6 percent grade their is often 3 lanes with the semis in the truck lane going 40 or whatever.

Reactions: sourdo and TwoBobs
#119 ·

Well looks like we finally get to see an actual running truck. I'm stoked! Not a Dodge fan but it was the only game in town until recently. Now we have some competition. Just in time too since I can't even drive my neutered truck on the highway anymore. Absolutely no power and crappy fuel mileage. I used to get 29 - 33 mpg now more like 17 - 24.

#120 ·
fuel tank less than 24 gallons? Uhg... Even with our 26 gallons, there were places that I was wishing I had a jug of fuel in the back, like down to a couple of gallons when filling up. You do not always get 30 miles to the gallon, aka, tow mode.

5 1/2 gallon DEF tank. No big deal there.

Engine brake a nice plus and I like the inline 6 cyl motor.

But if it rides and has seats like my last truck, a 2011 Silverado, I would pass. The Ram 1500 is hands down very, very comfortable.

#121 ·
Oh my. You NEED an in-bed extra fuel tank. That's a major benefit of being diesel. Much safer and reasonable to have a tank inside. Would not tow without one. Actually, would not run without one.

Check out the RDS models.

#123 ·
Can one of our mechanical engineer gurus explain what a centrifugal pendulum absorber torque converter is and what its advantages and disadvantages are? I googled it and couldn't find anything.and I cannot even guess what it means even though I know what each of the words mean.

#124 ·
The CPVA is an absorbing damper with a set of secondary spring masses that, when energized, cancel out the engine’s torsional vibrations. The spring masses vibrate in the opposite direction of the torsional vibrations of the engine, balancing out undesirable torsional vibrations.

It's currently used with the 2.8L Duramax.

#125 ·
Thanks. I can understand that on a 4 cylinder engine which are less than smooth especially with the size of the power pulses in that engine. Seems strange for the smooth and naturally well balanced 6 cylinder. Anyhow I still cannot picture a centrifugal pendulum. I do understand what you are describing.

#127 ·
It will do 9k up to a 6 percent grade as I’ve done it. Not sure I agree with the no problem description even just power wise but I fully agree with your bigger point that the cooling system is the bigger issue.

My ED 3.92, GDE ECM & trans tunes, 31.9” XL load rating Hwy tire, Free flowing SLT grill. Still can be WOT to hold 50 mph (acceptable (9k 6 percent)) or in enough heat or long enough climb will need to limit steady state rpm to 3k to make sure it will not derate due to temps. Fits as to the optimum EDs rating of 9,200.

9k is also at least with a TT really pushing the practical & Mfgr spec limits of the 1/2 ton platform. Axle weights, gcvwr, receiver rating. Just saying for the newbie owner reader & tower.

Reactions: Patroller8D
#131 ·
I cant figure out why they keep introducing more and more gears. The ratios are almost the same as our 8 speeds and unless the diff ratio is low (high number) the od ratios are too high to maintain those gears. The 8 speed has the same 8th as the gm 9th. 7th is 1 to 1 on the 10 speed 6th is 1 to 1 on the 8 speed

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#129 ·
Well heck I've been contemplating on the Chevy 3.0 diesel as a replacement for my Big Horn Eco diesel as I like the upper trim packages but,
the transfer case has aggravated me since I tried to use it under adverse conditions.
Well today I went to the Chevy build site, guess what they have gone and done.
Yep not only do they have a damned computer controlled clutch stuck in the t-case but low range is an option that has to be ordered.
I've installed the switch kit that Brandon has made which helps our cases quite a bit, but no reason to get a new truck that will have the same issues.
May have to start looking at the Rebel trim line.
I am getting danged disgusted with these manufactures that have to keep "fixing" things that don't need fixing and making more and more parking lot queens and advertising them as trucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.