CP$.2 Fuel Pump Failures - Why? - Page 4

CP$.2 Fuel Pump Failures - Why?

This is a discussion on CP$.2 Fuel Pump Failures - Why? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Battlefield forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Capt.... HD trucks need running boards to help us folks to get in , I did not enjoy driving my truck without running boards. Well ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: CP$.2 Fuel Pump Failures - Why?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2333 times
    Capt.... HD trucks need running boards to help us folks to get in , I did not enjoy driving my truck without running boards. Well I read an article from Bosch about the CP4 pumps and they where actually saying it’s the go to pump? Anyhow the interesting part for me was Bosch has already produced 40 million cp4 pumps world wide .... Maybe just a USA fuel quality issue ? Now IMOP not too many people are going to swap out a Cp4 pump for a cp3 pump if they have warranty and never had any issues or even out of warranty and never having any issue ..I’m not crazy about the cp4 pumps, but if I bought a vehicle with it I’d probably learn to live with it , Vern had 350,000 miles on his first CP4 pump ..

Cummins trucks have a very good fuel filtration system.... I’ve seen posts where folks accidentally put def fluid in their fuel tank and just kept cracking open the drain valve on first filter, As reported on our forum by an EcoDiesel member that accidentally put def in his fuel tank,it pushed the def fluid through his filter causing a catastrophic engine failure...Maybe Cummins feels their fuel filtration system on the HD Rams will eliminate premature failures of the CP4 pump? Will be interesting....

Oil and fuel filters are about 160.00 every 15000 miles on a Cummins.... If you catch a sale on Amazon you can get both fuel filters around 80.00 for the pair...
    I only use oem filters ...
    DJL_57 and BrianF like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6259 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haul N Grass View Post
    Oil and fuel filters are about 160.00 every 15000 miles on a Cummins.... If you catch a sale on Amazon you can get both fuel filters around 80.00 for the pair...
    I only use oem filters ...
    Insanely expensive. Bet those three filters - two fuel and one oil - don't cost much more than $15 total to make and market. I continue to be flabbergasted at the prices of basic items today. Kind of glad as it means I am still above ground.
    EcoD likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6259 times
    Diesel WORLD magazine June 2019.

That is where the article I spotted last week is located. Buy a copy if interested as it sure has multiple pages and pictures related to the topic of the CP4.2 and fuel starvation failure or lubrication failure.

Sv4kY6rqTd63UJtUS48DWQ by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Just part of a page showing, ironically, a drawing of a CP4.1 pump as explanation of the problem in the CP4.2. Read a bit more on the issue and though Duramax is now using a Denso pump, their troubles with the Bosch CP4.2 was because those engines have no lift pump. Ford pushes fuel into their pump at maybe 60 psi. That is good for the pump.

Read comments also that this CP4.2 pump, with specific variation to the vehicle, is used in the Cummins 6.7 and the V8 5.0, Ecodiesel, Power Stroke and probably more. Get used to it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Diesel WORLD magazine June 2019.

That is where the article I spotted last week is located. Buy a copy if interested as it sure has multiple pages and pictures related to the topic of the CP4.2 and fuel starvation failure or lubrication failure.

Sv4kY6rqTd63UJtUS48DWQ by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Just part of a page showing, ironically, a drawing of a CP4.1 pump as explanation of the problem in the CP4.2. Read a bit more on the issue and though Duramax is now using a Denso pump, their troubles with the Bosch CP4.2 was because those engines have no lift pump. Ford pushes fuel into their pump at maybe 60 psi. That is good for the pump.

Read comments also that this CP4.2 pump, with specific variation to the vehicle, is used in the Cummins 6.7 and the V8 5.0, Ecodiesel, Power Stroke and probably more. Get used to it.
    I just found that issue at Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6259 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markcfoster View Post
    I just found that issue at Walmart.

What do you think? Is there more to be said on the issue?

Makes me wonder if the upcoming 3.0L GM engine has a lift pump to pressurize the injector pump? That was an issue with the Duramax that contributed to their failures. Many are ready to jump all over that upcoming offering, knowing nothing about issues it may have by basic design.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    158 times
    How does not having a lift pump exasperate the pump failure? VWs have lift pumps and still had failures.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2333 times
    So doesn’t the EcoDiesel with 85psi , I was waiting for someone to point this out . The air theory is just that , Hot air !!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    What do you think? Is there more to be said on the issue?

Makes me wonder if the upcoming 3.0L GM engine has a lift pump to pressurize the injector pump? That was an issue with the Duramax that contributed to their failures. Many are ready to jump all over that upcoming offering, knowing nothing about issues it may have by basic design.
    The CP4.2 article in June 2019 DW was interesting to me. It’s like a How-to article as the entire article is in the captions under 24 photos. My take away is, re-fuel sooner and don’t have just any shop do my fuel filter maintenance.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6259 times
    Read that the Duramax has no lift pump and there were lots of failures.

Another poster here said the VW’s had no issues. Read back to confirm that. Everyone has opinions based on their experiences. I am at my hunting camp after a 400 mile towing day. My opinion is I need another beer.
    EcoD likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2333 times
    Capt... I just confirmed the 2019 Cummins has the exact same lift pump as previous years, guessing around 12-13 psi .. Cummins has the best fuel filtration system on any of the trucks produced today.. IMOP you shouldn’t see any CP4.2 pump failures for years if the pump doesn’t have design issues, because you do not see any failures of the CP3 pump now ..

My logic same lift pump , same filtration system = Should have same reliability of CP3 if CP4.2 is worth a shit ....Time will Tell .....
    BrianF and Captainmal like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links