CP$.2 Fuel Pump Failures - Why?

This is a discussion on CP$.2 Fuel Pump Failures - Why? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Battlefield forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Waiting for my wife to shop after church this morning and there sits an article in Diesel Magazine about the pump failures. Remember, the Ecodiesel ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: CP$.2 Fuel Pump Failures - Why?

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6525 times

Waiting for my wife to shop after church this morning and there sits an article in Diesel Magazine about the pump failures. Remember, the Ecodiesel has a CP4 injector pump while the new 2019 Cummins has the CP4.2. Duramax and Powerstroke also use that pump. ALL suffer with major and catastrophic fuel pump failures. Why? Their answer is AIR.

Seems operators of these vehicles, look in the mirror you Ecodiesel owners, sometimes run their fuel low. In comes air to the system. When changing the fuel filters ( some way too often) you run the risk of air into the system. The Duramax is often a serious source of this problem as it has a bit of a lengthy prime system to get the fuel in and the diesel out. Cheat on the procedure and air gets into the system. Some owners even rev the engines up if there's an immediate problem to hopefully keep things running. That just exacerbates the issue of wear caused by air.

Our Ecodiesels have a priming sequence. You hasten that and there you go, air into the system. Makes me believe some of us owners have caused their issues with frequent or improper fuel filter changes.

In that article there are literally pages of drawings and horror stories of Ford and GM diesels trashed by shrapnel when the CP4.2's come apart. We know of some with our Ecodiesels described on this forum. Air is good for you. Air is not good for the injector pumps. Prime slowly and repeatedly when changing fuel filters. Somehow hope and check that shop mechanics do the same. Good luck there. Do not run with a low fuel level that could create a problem Good luck there also for some operators.

These fuel pumps pump fuel. Give them what they want.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    340 times
    I had a friend with a Cummins who killed his pump from improper or no priming after a filter change. At least 6 key cycles for me after a filter change. Maybe I will do 8 key cycles next time. Never again will I see how many miles that I can get on a tank, either. 100 miles range left, heading to fill up.
    TwoBobs likes this.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    546 times
    Air, water, small particles, etc. Basically anything other than clean cool fuel can hurt a cp4 pump it has extremely tight tolerances. Its very easy to contaminate a fuel filter when changing one out. Over maintaining some things can hurt them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    I see this all the time on the other site I hang out at, Fiat, where it seems to be an Olympic sport to try to get max miles before the engine quits. When my Eco gets below 1/2 I am typically looking for a pump. Same with the little Spider since it only holds 10 gallons of high test.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman
    Liked
    864 times
    Never understood the need to run until empty. I’m looking to fill any of my vehicles at the latest when they get to 1/4 tank. Remember the fuel also cools the electric fuel pump in the tank and heat is not it’s friend.
    97hmcs and roegs like this.
    2015 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman 3.55, 20" rims, Trailer Brake Control, Comfort Group, Luxury Group, Premium Cloth Bucket Seats, 8.4A Premium Sound (Upgrade JBL Speakers), Backup Camera, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Bedrug Bed Mat, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Dura Flap Splash Guards, EGR Ventvisors, Ionic Gladiator Running Boards, Tinted windows.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6525 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDREX View Post
    I had a friend with a Cummins who killed his pump from improper or no priming after a filter change. At least 6 key cycles for me after a filter change. Maybe I will do 8 key cycles next time. Never again will I see how many miles that I can get on a tank, either. 100 miles range left, heading to fill up.
    That was probably with the more robust CP3 pump. Still goes to show, nothing is indestructible. Just when they go there's not so much damage - usually.

Agree with all of you. Some do over maintenance. Some do little and in this case it might be a good thing. Some have others do the work. What they know anyhow they work is the unknown you just might pay for. Interesting but I am due to change out my fuel filter at the 30K mark, along with another oil change - this week of so. You can bet I will prime, prime and prime some more.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2335 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Waiting for my wife to shop after church this morning and there sits an article in Diesel Magazine about the pump failures. Remember, the Ecodiesel has a CP4 injector pump while the new 2019 Cummins has the CP4.2. Duramax and Powerstroke also use that pump. ALL suffer with major and catastrophic fuel pump failures. Why? Their answer is AIR.

Seems operators of these vehicles, look in the mirror you Ecodiesel owners, sometimes run their fuel low. In comes air to the system. When changing the fuel filters ( some way too often) you run the risk of air into the system. The Duramax is often a serious source of this problem as it has a bit of a lengthy prime system to get the fuel in and the diesel out. Cheat on the procedure and air gets into the system. Some owners even rev the engines up if there's an immediate problem to hopefully keep things running. That just exacerbates the issue of wear caused by air.

Our Ecodiesels have a priming sequence. You hasten that and there you go, air into the system. Makes me believe some of us owners have caused their issues with frequent or improper fuel filter changes.

In that article there are literally pages of drawings and horror stories of Ford and GM diesels trashed by shrapnel when the CP4.2's come apart. We know of some with our Ecodiesels described on this forum. Air is good for you. Air is not good for the injector pumps. Prime slowly and repeatedly when changing fuel filters. Somehow hope and check that shop mechanics do the same. Good luck there. Do not run with a low fuel level that could create a problem Good luck there also for some operators.

These fuel pumps pump fuel. Give them what they want.
    Interesting Cap. Can you shed any light on how they concluded air is the issue? Is it just a theory or is it proven or somewhere in between?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Laramie Eco
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar73340 View Post
    Never understood the need to run until empty. I’m looking to fill any of my vehicles at the latest when they get to 1/4 tank.
    Agree!....but maybe for other reasons. When the Zombie Apocalypse (or Russian invasion or the "big one" earthquake or fill in the blank) hits, I don't want to run out to the truck to start my run for the hills with a low fuel tank.
    I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 3500 Megacab. True Blue, SRW, AS69RC
    Liked
    79 times
    I often wonder about improper priming. On my HD, I key the ignition a few times and then tip it in but turn it back when it tries to start. This cycles the pump longer. So far so good. But we have it lucky with an in tank lift pump. Not like several years of the Dmax with no lift pump, one fuel filter and a small hand pump on it.

With an in tank, if one has a fuel line compromised, we should get a leak, not an air intrusion.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie, 355 Diff ,ARE Cap, pull me over first Red
    Liked
    538 times
    OK, that changes things for me. I was just about to order another fuel filter to do with my oil change. Would have been a 20k interval. I was even considering doing at each oil change. Filters are cheap ( IMO, compared to fuel system repairs ) and I don't mind doing them. A clean fuel system is a happy fuel system.

But with this new info, looks like I'll be waiting. Maybe less is better in this case.

On the bright side, living in the mountains my fuel never go's below 1/4. Also refilling fuel systems by hand pumping or cycling the key is old school for me. Being in the heavy equipment field for 25 years, and filling filters that are 10 times larger than ours I am used to keying 25+ times to get the fuel circulated. I typically cycle my key 12 -15 times.
    Kazimodo likes this.
    Do not rule out working with your hands, but it does not preclude using your head.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links