Nissan Titan Diesel Discontinued - Page 2

Nissan Titan Diesel Discontinued

This is a discussion on Nissan Titan Diesel Discontinued within the RAM 1500 Diesel Battlefield forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I give them credit for trying although the engine was not desired by anyone else. With the towing and efficiency of the 2020 1/2 tons ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Nissan Titan Diesel Discontinued

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    566 times
    I give them credit for trying although the engine was not desired by anyone else. With the towing and efficiency of the 2020 1/2 tons it is a wise move. Agree above the Frontier should be the focus with a smaller I-4 diesel PRICED RIGHT would make for an interesting combo.

Even put it in the Pathfinder.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 285k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 193 miles / 4,675 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6614 times
    Make it a 4.0L in-line Cummins.
    Patroller8D likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6614 times
    So the author of the article says the..."Ram 1500 is a sweetheart to beat.".

As for the V8 Cummins, it was always a big block of nothing that found a sucker to buy it. I say good-bye to nothing important. May Cummins make an in-line 4.0L diesel like that giant 6.7 L creature they use in the heavy duty trucks.
    lucskoj likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    So the author of the article says the..."Ram 1500 is a sweetheart to beat.".

As for the V8 Cummins, it was always a big block of nothing that found a sucker to buy it. I say good-bye to nothing important. May Cummins make an in-line 4.0L diesel like that giant 6.7 L creature they use in the heavy duty trucks.
    Would you consider the Cummins 4BT or is it just too low on power for what you had in mind?
    -----
    '16 Laramie, 3.92 rear axle, 4x4, GDE Hot Tuned

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3658 times
    Biggest problem is Nissan. Nissan has never learned how to competitively market and sell full size trucks. Additionally their 2018 & especially 2019 Titan sales are way down even after a recent remake. The 5.0 has been aftermarket tuned where it makes great power and spins quicker & faster than an in-line so it can get the HP as well as the torque. This is useful on the interstate with a load and why some prefer the horsepower bias of the Power-stroke or Duramax to the Cummins. Though I often prefer the long throw low rpm torque bias of the inline for towing. Then again I’m not 19 and don’t feel the need to tow 80 plus and be first up the mountain. I guess that’s obvious by what I tow with though it by displacement instead of architecture. Reasonable longevity with the 5.0 as well.

Aside from non floating axle / payload issues compared to 3/4 tons it has the problem that none of the tuners could get enough fuel economy to make sense over any of the 3/4 tons let alone compete with the 1/2 tons. I assume it’s combustion chamber with fuel & air flow issues with heads & intake that would take major investment to resolve. Also as to putting it into a 1/2 ton it’s too heavy and makes the truck what a 3/4 ton weighs to handle it. So it’s too heavy and inefficient to compete with 1/2 tons And provides less capability with no fuel economy gain compared to the 3/4 tons. This motor was almost stillborn with millions in Development tooling manufacturing and emissions certifications now again / still searching for a life line. Not that it is a “bad” motor.

As to the 4 & 4.5 liter diesel 1/2 tons Cummins & Duramax fans talk about. I don’t really see that case either as the 3.0s are going to provide a jump in fuel economy (30 & 33mpg) over greater displacement and with 300 HP 500plus TQ reliably attainable from this displacement provides all the torque you can fully utilize in the 1/2 ton platform with an 8 or 10 speed transmission. HP is a lot more about airflow than displacement so the greater size doesn’t help much there either. I think 3.0 liters is the ideal-ish displacement for the 1/2 ton platforms.

Perhaps 6.7 ish liters is ideal for the dualies as well mostly for the reliability relative to the power output and load many are put under. Both 3.0s & 6.7s make sensible fuel economy & power for their respective platforms & provides a big gap between the platforms yet has overlap in what they should sensibility be used for. Meaning the 1/2 ton platforms with proper motor & now 8 & 10 speed transmissions / gearing can be sensibly used up to and for occasional 8 to 10k tows. 3/4 ton platforms might fuel & costs & reliability be sensibly used for as little as 6k daily towing.
    Last edited by VernDiesel; Yesterday at 06:11 AM.
    ajb3015 and bobcat67 like this.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6614 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grock87 View Post
    Would you consider the Cummins 4BT or is it just too low on power for what you had in mind?
    Did not check just what that is but think it's a commercial engine for stationary use. Maybe it's for tractors?

Think a 4.0L in-line engine from Cummins that would be usable does not exist right now. They do make some diesels WITHOUT and EGR that are designed to make emissions for other countries regulations. Again, not familiar in detail. Just seems to me that a 3.0L engine is the right size for a small car and not a working pickup. Why there is such a big gap between the little 3.0 diesels and the big 6.6-6.7L ones is curious to me. I want something that is in the middle without major increases is size and complexity.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3658 times
    4BT (2.8 liters) often referred to as Bread Truck engine was put in lots of small commercial box trucks like bread trucks Fed Ex package delivery trucks etc. Pretty reliable but hatefully slow and underpowered. As in always driven flat on the floor from stop to highway speed just to not be in the way of normal traffic flow. You can read about it on Cummins site. Rough running noisy and expensive. Iím sure it can be turned up for better power but there goes any warranty plus may require injectors turbo fuel pump etc to support the required air & fuel flow. Possibly tuning if available for whatever engine management comes with it to run it. GDE says itís not something they would pick for in a pick up. Itís heavy not super fuel efficient and very dated technologically.

Captain if you can reliably (tuned) get 300 HP and 500 plus TQ out of a 3.0 (not our current turbo etc but 3.0 liters) is their reason to move to 4.0 liters or more and use more fuel? Again assuming thatís more than enough power for a half ton platform and reliable.
    Last edited by VernDiesel; 08-07-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    97hmcs and Captainmal like this.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie LTD Crew Cab ED Black of course.
    Liked
    511 times
    Not shedding any tears here, that this was butt-hole ugly. Now, time for Cummins to get in bed with FCA and build a smaller diesel!
    WAKE UP FCA!
    2015 Laramie ED 1500 Crew 4X4 Loaded. At 42000 kms now
    2003 GMC Duramax 2500 Crew 6.6 litre Diesel 4X4 Loaded
    1993 Chevrolet 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel Ext Cab Loaded
    1986 GMC 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel REG CAB Loaded

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 3500 Megacab. True Blue, SRW, AS69RC
    Liked
    91 times
    As I state din some previous threads, I had looked at the Titan as a replacement for my 2011 1500 gasser. Seemed like a powerful, capable heavy half ton. I started pricing and building online to see the feasibility before I visited a dealer. That's where it ended. At the time, to get the locking diff, you had to get the high end trim. This is the most basic of traction devices that every other truck offers on the base. Even building a bare bones truck, I found the price was near what the HD Ram trucks were, without the capability.

Perhaps there were some incentives at the dealer, perhaps not. I would have bought a truck that was rated marginally better than my 1500.

I think the 5.0 would have been a great for a 2500, making it a truly in between truck.

This seems all to familiar with the new Ford Ranger. I seem them priced at or near F150 levels. And we wonder why these companies go bankrupt.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Bighorn (named Silver)
    Liked
    2 times
    I considered a 4BT swap for my '01 a few years back but gave that up when the ED was announced. there are kits that make a 2nd gen 4BT swap pretty straight-forward. A good build could get 400+ lbft of torque but 500 wasn't a realistic goal.

And I originally thought the 5.0L with the right tune could be a decent "economy" engine for the 2500, but then you end up in the same boat as the Titan XD. An expensive HD poser.

I would love to see Cummins build a 1/2 ton straight 6. A 1/2 scale 6.7L would be awesome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links