DPF delete kits - Page 3

DPF delete kits

This is a discussion on DPF delete kits within the RAM 1500 Diesel Builds forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by Riflesmith GDE testing aside, there is no denying that the Cat, DPF, and SCR cause the exhaust turbine increased backpressure. Like any ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: DPF delete kits

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4681 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Riflesmith View Post
    GDE testing aside, there is no denying that the Cat, DPF, and SCR cause the exhaust turbine increased backpressure. Like any turbine, the lower the backpressure, the greater the efficiency. This fact is well established. Whether any performance gains are considerable or measurable is open to debate. Greater efficiency across the turbo with reduced backpressure is not.
    When you say "open to debate" does that mean actual performance gains can't be proven/disproven?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1090 times
    Lets not also forget the cost factor here...

~$650 gets you a GDE tune.
    Deletes cost another what... 3-500 bucks?

If it adds 5 hp... is it really worth it? To me no. The only time a delete will be worth it is when my DPF/SCR/DEF system fails and the cost to repair is 3k. Then it will just come off and a delete kit will go on.
    Dieselfever likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 BigHorn EcoD
    Liked
    2 times
    Why does the DPF delete have to be a system? If you're the one hanging it, you can't figure out a way to delete it for cheaper?

On the other hand if your turbo becomes more efficient, how does that effect your engine? Are the head bolts torqued properly for more air pressure or does the ECU make this not an issue?
    2015 BigHorn EcoDiesel

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1090 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pjordan4477 View Post
    Why does the DPF delete have to be a system? If you're the one hanging it, you can't figure out a way to delete it for cheaper?

On the other hand if your turbo becomes more efficient, how does that effect your engine? Are the head bolts torqued properly for more air pressure or does the ECU make this not an issue?
    The problem fundamentally is that the ECU needs to be aware of whether or not you haev a DPF and scr.

At a minimum, you need to update your calibration on the computer to remove the DPF. Sure, you can home brew something that works. I don't have the time to do it really. It could cost you as little as 30 - 50 maybe.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 BigHorn EcoD
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggn85 View Post
    The problem fundamentally is that the ECU needs to be aware of whether or not you haev a DPF and scr.

At a minimum, you need to update your calibration on the computer to remove the DPF. Sure, you can home brew something that works. I don't have the time to do it really. It could cost you as little as 30 - 50 maybe.
    My next question was, did a tune need to be done before delete. So for DPF, SCR, and EGR yes?

outside of exhaust...is there anything that can be upgraded without a tune?
    Last edited by pjordan4477; 09-05-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    2015 BigHorn EcoDiesel

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pjordan4477 View Post
    My next question was, did a tune need to be done before delete. So for DPF, SCR, and EGR yes?

outside of exhaust...is there anything that can be upgraded without a tune?
    If your deleting your DPF or busting the guts out of it you need to install a tune at the same time.

CAI, intercooler and pipes, Filter back exhaust, air cooled oil cooler, catch can etc.

When I installed my AFE intercooler pipes I did notice a slightly louder engine and the truck did hold 8th gear longer on the highway before down shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Bighorn ED
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    When you say "open to debate" does that mean actual performance gains can't be proven/disproven?
    I was referring to the efficiency of a turbine exhausting into a lower backpressure environment. Large steam turbines exhaust into a vacuum for a reason. I worked in a large power station for 35 years. The amount of steam required to generate a fixed electrical load increases with backpressure. Performance gains from such a small turbine on a vehicle will be small, but real. There are too many variables to quantify measurable gains.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by robertburris80 View Post
    The performance difference is there after deleting the SCR and DPF. The backpressure is gone.
    GDE, the professionals, say there is no performance difference between the Hot Tune and the Hot Tune with the offroad option. Please elaborate on your findings.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1563 times
    Quote Originally Posted by robertburris80 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    GDE did testing and the results are available on their website. Sometimes when we put effort and expense into things like this we want to believe it was worth it. Cheers.
    It’s all a cohesive machine. I have a lot of other things done to the truck. Trans tune, oil cooler, CAI, off-road tune, Flo-Pro piping, shutter delete, and probably stuff I forgot. So, I guess I believe it’s worth it. Now, quit ****ing trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think your but dyno must be busted.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 BigHorn EcoD
    Liked
    2 times
    Whats the desired exhaust size on the delete? 3" or greater?
    2015 BigHorn EcoDiesel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links