USB Charger in Center Console - Page 4

USB Charger in Center Console

This is a discussion on USB Charger in Center Console within the RAM 1500 Diesel Electrical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Originally Posted by FreshFishFry As Thermorex mentioned, and I recently just round in this thread ( https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...ging-port.html ), I picked up this new socket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: USB Charger in Center Console

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited (CC,4x4,short-bed)
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFishFry View Post
    As Thermorex mentioned, and I recently just round in this thread (https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...ging-port.html), I picked up this new socket:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure how the old one pops out and this one screws? in, but if I can get it installed I'm sure this will output better numbers.

It should be in today, I'll post an update once it's installed.
    I bought the same exact one, same color. Let me know how it goes. I went out one night without tools and tried to pop it out. It felt like it was going to break before it moved. I stopped.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    183 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
    That is the way my outdoorsman is as well. My cord is always plugged in and just dangles out to the phone. If I need a charge, I just plug it in, it always has power as long as the key is on.
    ditto on my Laramie with the 8.4
    I'm not following the having to unplug each time deal.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1306 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kmcintyre View Post
    If you search for my DIY, you can do this easily if you can find/locate the right fuse in the fuse box. Just make a jumper from fuse 90/91 to the usb fuse.
    easier with a link straight to your other thread : here it is : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/d...per-build.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Well, there's good news and bad. The good news is I got the new plug installed nicely. The bad news is that I'm still getting a weak charge.

Here's the process that I went through and some pics. I'll followup with info on a new plug after some research. I'm going to try and send mine back to Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Let me know if anyone knows of a better USB plug, or even a regular cigarette lighter socket. I don't mind plugging in my turbo charger cig lighter adapter to get a decent charge.

First, don't try and just pop out the existing plug. You'll be lucky if you just damage the plug. You may crack the top console tray. Lift off the rubber liner. There's 7 screws (TX20) holding down the top plastic tray.

Once you get the top tray off, there's 3 wires to unplug.

Then detach the existing USB outlet from the tray. I also popped out the SD/USB/AUX box to get it out of the way.

The plug I bought off of Amazon was a little larger than the existing hole. I grinded the hole a bit using a dremel and the new plug slid right in.

You can then screw on the plastic nut on the back to secure it. I ran a wire to each of the connectors on the socket with Posi-Taps on the other end. I didn't want to cut off the factory adapter, even though it'll likely never be used again.

Here is the new plug wired up and console back in place.

And now for the test...

I checked the input voltage just to make sure the plug was getting 12v. The connection looks good.

I was hoping to get numbers closer to those from my turbo charger (1500-2000 mA). Unless they make a turbo charger USB adapter, I'm thinking a regular cigarette lighter socket is the way to go. I'm assuming I can find one the same size & hopefully connection. At least the wiring will be re-usable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USB Charger in Center Console-img_20170324_164241792_hdr.jpg   USB Charger in Center Console-img_20170324_164528597_hdr.jpg   USB Charger in Center Console-screenshot_20170324-164708.png   USB Charger in Center Console-img_20170324_164204303.jpg   USB Charger in Center Console-img_20170324_151528793_hdr.jpg  

USB Charger in Center Console-img_20170324_151620495_hdr.jpg   USB Charger in Center Console-img_20170324_151653262_hdr.jpg   USB Charger in Center Console-img_20170324_162359187_hdr.jpg   USB Charger in Center Console-img_20170324_162405718.jpg  
    Last edited by FreshFishFry; 03-24-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    Crash68 and rambulance like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I think I'm going to replace it with this regular cigarette lighter socket: https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Marine.../dp/B01EMQFCC8

Same manufacturer and looks to be about the same size.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2359 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFishFry View Post
    The bad news is that I'm still getting a weak charge.

Let me know if anyone knows of a better USB plug, or even a regular cigarette lighter socket. I don't mind plugging in my turbo charger cig lighter adapter to get a decent charge.

......I was hoping to get numbers closer to those from my turbo charger (1500-2000 mA). Unless they make a turbo charger USB adapter, I'm thinking a regular cigarette lighter socket is the way to go. I'm assuming I can find one the same size & hopefully connection. At least the wiring will be re-usable.
    Great write up, I have the stuff to do a similar set up.
    Put a regular "cigarette lighter" socket in there and use a plug in charger that is Qualcomm Quick Charge 2 or 3 certified.
    Like these:
    Anker Quick Charge 3.0 39W Dual USB Car Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K9MQ8WW/
    Aukey CC-T8 Car Charger with Dual Quick Charge 3.0 Ports - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B2BMIMS/
    They both active the "turbo charger" on my Moto phone.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1306 times
    **does the device you are trying to charge behave differently when plugged somewhere else????
    I read on this subject on the net , and what I understood is that your charger is Inside your phone ( if it is indeed a phone you are charging )
    you may plug it in a socket that has more amp , but the charger Inside the phone decides how much
    juice it will suck from the plug , all depending on the device you are using .
    the info was started by someone who was afraid he may be delivering too much amps to his phone
    to which the one who said they were experts said it cannot happen for reason above,

PS I see on the picture it says battery at 44% , it charges at higher rate when empty , and as
    the % gets higheer the amp lower , the more the battery is charged , the more it lowers , maybe
    an other try with battery almost drained will give you bigger numbers.
    (( I'm waiting for my socket , same as yours , to arrive in the mail ))
    PS#2 , thanks for the tutorial on how to open the console , was going to pull on the little bugger
    after others said it just pulls out .
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 03-24-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It is my Android phone. The numbers do vary depending on which charger and outlet I'm using. And the numbers do fluctuate a lot, depending on what my phone is doing (apps updating, push notifications, and as you mentioned probably current battery level, among other things I'm sure).

When plugged into the Droid Turbo provided Turbo Charger in my wall AC outlet it's ~2,000 mA. That will give me the advertised 8 hours of battery life on 15 minutes of charge time. If I plug that charger into the Rams AC outlet on the dash I get similar numbers. I have a cigarette lighter USB adapter as Crash68 referenced. Also similar numbers using this adapter in the cigarette lighter next to the cup holders.

When plugged into the stock Ram USB port in the center console that number dropped to ~200 mA. After replacing that with the new outlet from Amazon the numbers remained ~200 mA. At that rate it would take hours to get any decent charge and probably not even charge if I were running GPS or another battery intensive app.

I ordered a regular cigarette lighter socket (https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Marine.../dp/B01EMQFCC8) after my post. It should be here Sunday. I'll post an update once I get it swapped out. Then hoping to return the previous adapter without having to pay shipping/restock fee.
    Crash68 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited (CC,4x4,short-bed)
    Liked
    20 times
    FreshFishFry,

Thank you very much for this write up. I was told you simply "pull it out" and plug the new one in. I'm glad I stopped when I thought I was going to break something.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 4X4 Big Horn Eco Diesel
    Liked
    36 times
    Yes, my dual charger should arrive today... will install it now that I know how.
    Did the fuse movement and fuse link wire and all is hot when key is off... just want/need more USB charging ports since I have the center arm rest flipped up
    most of the time so my companion Aussie can lay down with more comfort..
    Have a dual port for cig lighter that has one 2.4A and one 1 A positions...
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 Eco Diesel, Geno's Garage Magnetic Fuel Cap, Blue aluminum DEF cap, cabin filter, Dee Zee steps, Rear floor storage Lock Kit, HI-Lift Jack, SNUGTop Hi-Liner Shell, bed liner and Weather Tech floor mats
    1971 Jaguar XJ, SBC ZZ4 with Comp Cam 383/200R, EZ-EFI 2.0 Fuel Injection, 410 HP and 470# torque, daily driver

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links