Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) - Page 13

Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

This is a discussion on Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I have a 64 mile round trip commute and see around 250min and 130-140 miles between regens The sequence for me is: Every 2-3 days ...

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 SLT
    Liked
    4 times
    I have a 64 mile round trip commute and see around 250min and 130-140 miles between regens

The sequence for me is:
    Every 2-3 days due to my mileage I know I'm coming up on a Regen, I know I'm close when the DPF % gets around 65%.

I look for the DPF EGT temp to start going way up >900 deg. Once it runs in the 1000-1100 range for a min or two I'll see the regen mode light come on, the DPF % goes to 100% and the truck stays that way for a minute. Then the light turns off, the temps stay very high for another minute or two, then the light comes back on and stays on for around 10 minutes if I'm cruising around and not in stop and go traffic.

If I am in stop and go, or I put the truck in park or the DPF EGT drops below 800 deg etc, then the regen with stop regardless of where it's at (light turns off) and the truck will still show 100% on the DPF% until it's filled back up and I can complete a full regen.

If I do cruise around for 10min on the highway or B roads (have to keep that DPF temp up above 800-900 deg. In regen it will be close to 1200 or so) then the DPF% will drop to 9.6 or 9.8% and reflect that in the interface.

Since I have basically the same commute and live out where I can cruise around I almost always know when it's about to regen and can plan accordingly to make sure it always completes a full regen so I'm not staring at 100% all the time on the interface.

If I need to shut the truck off (get to a destination) and the truck is in Regen mode, I put it in park and wait for the green light to turn off. I then wait for the SCR/DPF temps to drop so it's not 1000deg in the exhaust and suddenly it's not (less than 700 is my typical ok point). This takes a few minutes.

I also make sure my Turbo EGT is below 400deg before I shut my truck off every time. If you're not cane'ing it too bad by the time you get ready to shut it off you'll only have to wait less than a minute or so after you put it in park.
    turkeybird56 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1258 times
    good stuff eagle11401 , this is different from what I see on my Edge monitor ,
    what device do you use to monitor your soot % , and EGT temps ?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 SLT
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    good stuff eagle11401 , this is different from what I see on my Edge monitor ,
    what device do you use to monitor your soot % , and EGT temps ?
    I use the Torque app with a custom dashboard layout showing:
    DPF EGT temp
    Turbo EGT temp
    EGT2
    EGT3 (SCR temp)
    DPF Average Time (time between Regens)
    DPF Average Distance (Distance between Regens)
    VGT Position %
    Engine Load %
    DPF % (soot level in DPF)
    Oil Temp
    Coolant Temp
    Regen Mode
    Fuel Rail Pressure
    Boost/Vacuum pressure

I also have it record Highest/Lowest values for the following while I'm running a session:
    DPF EGT
    Turbo EGT
    Boost/Vac
    Oil temp
    Coolant temp
    Fuel Rail Pressure

It doesn't store it or anything but while I'm driving I can see where everything is at. The data log feature in Torque has been iffy in my experience. After 30K + miles I know what's normal and abnormal though and take screen shots to save anything questionable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM Bighorn Ecodiesel, CC, 4X4, 20" wheels
    Liked
    285 times
    I use Propel HPR fuel which burns much cleaner than diesel. I pull a 4,000 lb bass boat once or twice a week from 12 - 135 miles one way, other than that its all short trips around town. Before I installed my GDE my Torque app reported 600 miles between regens now its reporting 1,000 - 1,200 miles distance between regens. Does that sound right? Caveat; I’ve had lots of trouble with getting my Torque app to run accurately, things like avg mpg, distance to empty never jive with the evic but miles between regens seems to stay consistent. What say you?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 SLT
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    I use Propel HPR fuel which burns much cleaner than diesel. I pull a 4,000 lb bass boat once or twice a week from 12 - 135 miles one way, other than that its all short trips around town. Before I installed my GDE my Torque app reported 600 miles between regens now its reporting 1,000 - 1,200 miles distance between regens. Does that sound right? Caveat; I’ve had lots of trouble with getting my Torque app to run accurately, things like avg mpg, distance to empty never jive with the evic but miles between regens seems to stay consistent. What say you?
    I don't know enough about Propel HPR (seems to be a Cali only thing) to tell you how far you can go between regens but its cool that you have access to fuel like that in your area. How much is it compared to "regular" diesel fuel?

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    285 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle11401 View Post
    I don't know enough about Propel HPR (seems to be a Cali only thing) to tell you how far you can go between regens but its cool that you have access to fuel like that in your area. How much is it compared to "regular" diesel fuel?
    AFAIK it is a Cali only fuel at this time. Lowest in town is usually Costco now at $3.39/Gal a few other stations in town will meet or occasionally beat Costco by a few cents. Propel HPR is sold at only one station in Fresno and thats at a Shell station on Willow and Ashland. It’s usually around $0.10 more per gal than Costco but this week it is at $3.59/Gal.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1548 times
    I wonder if your system is set up to use Km instead of miles. You might have to do a conversion in the PID in order to convert from metric.

Changing to metric in settings only changes the gauge display, not the actual calculation.
    BrianS likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    285 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    I wonder if your system is set up to use Km instead of miles. You might have to do a conversion in the PID in order to convert from metric.

Changing to metric in settings only changes the gauge display, not the actual calculation.
    Well, thats good to know! Doh!

Can you point me to an example?

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1548 times
    Well, thats good to know! Doh!

Can you point me to an example?
    Try adding *.6213712 to the end of the equation, works on any PID relating to distance. I had to do a similar conversion when converting Cº to Fº. Let us know your results.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Can anyone tell me if the GDE tune results in better fuel economy simply by reducing the number of regens.I have a 2015 ED with 31000 klms have never seen any messages regarding regens 90 % of my driving is secondary roads usually 15 to 20 klms one way.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using Tapatalk

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links