Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) - Page 4

Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

This is a discussion on Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; What is the benefit of moving the regen from 65% to 80%?...

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoD
    Liked
    66 times
    What is the benefit of moving the regen from 65% to 80%?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2283 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennesaw!16 View Post
    What is the benefit of moving the regen from 65% to 80%?
    To reduce the number of regen cycles. The fact that GDE tune burns cleaner, it takes a lot longer for the DPF to load up, there is more time for the truck to go through the regen process before the DPF is full. It rough comparison, the stock tune would probably have to regen once(probably twice) in the amount of miles the GDE tune would cover with the DPF going from 65% to 80%.
    Less regeneration cycles is easier on the exhaust system and engine.
    Kennesaw!16 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Limited CC 4x4
    Liked
    404 times
    For me, I'd conservatively say my regens with a GDE tune are 1/6 of what they were with the stock tune.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoD
    Liked
    66 times
    I'm getting my bonus at work next month and think I know what I am going to spend it on

As a side note, I was on the Colorado Diesel forum and this forum is much more informative about our truck, so kudos

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I now have 1500 miles on my truck, I just saw for the first time: "Exhaust Filter 80% Full Safely Drive at Highway Speeds to Remedy". Shortly after it changed to: "Exhaust System — Regeneration In Process Exhaust Filter 80% Full". After driving about 15-20 more minutes in-town (not really highways) it went away. I have frequent and short in-city 5-10 minute trips on a daily basis.
    Last edited by mohrt; 09-17-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman
    Liked
    860 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrt View Post
    I now have 1500 miles on my truck, I just saw for the first time: "Exhaust Filter 80% Full Safely Drive at Highway Speeds to Remedy". Shortly after it changed to: "Exhaust System — Regeneration In Process Exhaust Filter 80% Full". After driving about 15-20 more minutes in-town (not really highways) it went away. I have frequent and short in-city 5-10 minute trips on a daily basis.
    Your truck with your type of driving and stock tune is doing a regen about every 100-125 miles at the 65% mark (assuming the previous regen completed normally). If it doesn't complete it will continue to fill until you get the message as you did notifying you to drive and clean it out.
    97hmcs likes this.
    2015 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman 3.55, 20" rims, Trailer Brake Control, Comfort Group, Luxury Group, Premium Cloth Bucket Seats, 8.4A Premium Sound (Upgrade JBL Speakers), Backup Camera, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Bedrug Bed Mat, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Dura Flap Splash Guards, EGR Ventvisors, Ionic Gladiator Running Boards, Tinted windows.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Long Horn, CC, 4x4
    Liked
    223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron4969 View Post
    lookaught:
    I know exactly how you feel. For my opinion and further information you can check out the thread I started "excessive REGENERATIONS". in the mechanical section. Where are you located (province / state)?

I have considered trading for a hemi but instead of loosing money going that way I am now also thinking about the GDE tune. I too like the truck in every way except for the frustrating, annoying frequency of the regenerations. I too wouldn't have bought the ED if I had known they would occur this frequently.
    Just had GDE installed this week (and it's great) and just had my first regen at 818 miles, can't beat it.
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie 4x4 ED
    Liked
    36 times
    97 hmcs Thanks so much for this post.

My 2015 Laramie ED has 15,000 miles on it. I am, in fact taking it in today for the 15,000 mi service (fuel filter). This morning I got the first notification I have ever seen regarding regeneration. It instructed me to drive at highway speeds and that my filter was at 80% capacity. I have been driving around town for a few weeks and have not really been out on the road much. I simply got on a local parkway and drove at 65 to 70 for about 25 minutes. Beautifu morning and perfect for a little drive. The notification of 80% capacity progressively reduced in 10% increments until I got the regeneration completed message. All seems well in my world. Truck ran and runs great, only issue I ever had was a faulty sensor. Interesting story! it happened on a long trip, I went to a Ram dealer a couple of states away and explained the situation. They did not have the sensor in stock, but believe it or not, took one out of a new truck and put it in mine, and then sent me on my way with a smile. Back at my own dealer, after I returned, they gave me a flash and said I was good to go. Pretty amazing service IMO. After my experience this morning I was actually in the process of posting a regeneration question when I saw your post. You answered every question I had. Thanks again. and Happy Driving.

Grace and Peace

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1061 times
    Not sure if anyone said this already - forgive the repeat.

Holding all else constant - meaning if you did nothing else but change this parameter in the ECM -

By moving the regen cycle to 80 instead of 65, you extend the range between regens you actually save fuel used in regens. A lot of the fuel used in a regen is getting the DPF up to temperature. this way, you regen only @ 80pct and spend a little extra fuel burning off the increased amount of soot rather than expending larger amounts to heat the DPF more often.

make sense?

Think of it like a tea kettle...

If you only fill the kettle half full, heat it, use all the water, then refill to half again, you use more fuel then heating a full kettle once and just maintaining the temp. The amount of energy used to heat the water itself is the same, but you incur less loss in heating the kettle over and over... it requires less energy to maintain the temp than heat it from the start.
    Last edited by shaggn85; 09-23-2016 at 10:11 AM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GMC Duramax, Ford 7.3 diesel
    Liked
    3148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar73340 View Post
    Your truck with your type of driving and stock tune is doing a regen about every 100-125 miles at the 65% mark (assuming the previous regen completed normally). If it doesn't complete it will continue to fill until you get the message as you did notifying you to drive and clean it out.
    Not true of my truck... I drive short trips and have frequent regens, which I occasionally monitor. If I shut down during a regen, it just takes less time before another regen starts. Mine seldom gets down to the 8% regen completed, but I have never had the EVIC message to drive on the freeway. This truck is very forgiving of incomplete regens, by my experience.
    Gene

2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
    2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel
    1992 Ford E350 Navistar diesel

"Science prevails over bullshit and superstition"
    -Me

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links