Transmission

Transmission

This is a discussion on Transmission within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Hello all, new member here. Long term ford owner tempted by the ram 1500 diesel. Figured I'd hang out here and see what they are ...

Thread: Transmission

Member #
    Vehicle
    1990 Bronco

Transmission

Hello all, new member here. Long term ford owner tempted by the ram 1500 diesel. Figured I'd hang out here and see what they are like.

I was looking at pictures of the ram 1500, and noticed that the gear shifter is now a knob on the dash. I believe that simple is better when it comes to vehicles, so I immediately thought about the extra parts this knob would require and all of the electronics that could fail. Apparently all of the torqueflite 8 speed transmissions use this knob because the transmission is all electronic.

The more I think about this the more i worry about stuff like this:
    If the engine dies, what gear is the transmission in? if it died in D, can you shift to N to coast safely to a stop?
    IF you broke down, how would the tow truck move you if you are stuck in D, R, or P?
    How much lag will there be between changing directions?
    I originally thought about how would you start it if you turned it off in D or R, but i'm assuming you can shift gears when the engine is ON, not run. Then again, is this thing push start?

Maybe i'm over-thinking a non-issue, thoughts?

Manual tranny would have been nice matched to this engine, but those days are long gone...

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    1053 times
    Unfortunately, the days of the manual are gone. The only manual you can get is the Ram with the 6.7 highly derated engine (as compared to the when it is coupled with the AISIN). Of course, for me, the derated engine wouldn't be an issue, since I don't tow all that much.

As far as your concerns, nearly all transmissions are electronic these days. I would think that hey have thought about all of that. I bet most of you column or center console style gear selectors are nothing more than switches, just like what we have on the dash of these new trucks.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2500 CTD Laramie 4x4 CC Long Box in Prairie Pearl. Former 1500 EcoDiesel owner.
    Liked
    362 times
    The shifting on the 8-speed with the rotary dial and steering wheel buttons will take some getting used to for me after decades of floor shifters. For better or worse these systems are all electronic anyways. One thing I noticed in the test drive is that when the engine was turned off--push button on keyless ignition!--it automatically went into park.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    14' CC 6'4" box
    Liked
    55 times
    Maybe because I'm younger or I think I'm younger these things do not bother me at all. Mechanical things break too. l love push button 4 wheel drive and would never want to go back to h big shift in my way. This will be the same.
    Ram 1500 Crew Cab Big Horn 6'4" bed Maximum Steel metallic, Black/diesel gray interior
    3.55 rear end, 17“ wheels, Air Suspension 4-Corner

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6507 times
    What? If the engine is turned off it automatically goes into Park...

That means if I want to coast down a hill to sneak up on a wild turkey, it will tear up the transmission if I shut it off while moving. Already tried that and lost steering to hit a tree.

What if I wanted to push the darn thing out of the way if it stalled?

What if it stalled or stopped while operating? Does it then tear up the transmission?

There's no key, just some computer gizmo. What if it falls out?

What if rays from some alien invasion shut off the engine?

I also flat out hate all the technology and am most afraid of any kind of automatic transmission. Oh my...oh my.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2500 CTD Laramie 4x4 CC Long Box in Prairie Pearl. Former 1500 EcoDiesel owner.
    Liked
    362 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    What? If the engine is turned off it automatically goes into Park...

That means if I want to coast down a hill to sneak up on a wild turkey, it will tear up the transmission if I shut it off while moving. Already tried that and lost steering to hit a tree.

What if I wanted to push the darn thing out of the way if it stalled?

What if it stalled or stopped while operating? Does it then tear up the transmission?

There's no key, just some computer gizmo. What if it falls out?

What if rays from some alien invasion shut off the engine?

I also flat out hate all the technology and am most afraid of any kind of automatic transmission. Oh my...oh my.

Trust no one

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    we are showing our age here boys, Nail is not bothered, younger admittedly.... back in the day, I was known to have put my folks oldsmobile in neutral, push it out of the driveway, and go out cruising back in high school......
    I too am not a fan of the gizmo tech world of vehicles today.... the 2006 Ram was about perfect, except it was too big for what I need now.... push in the South Bend clutch, and shift, the Duramax was a step up tech wise, but still could put it in neutral.....
    Even the air suspension, and I am not taking a swing at it, or supporting it, I am not getting it primarily for the same reason, it's just another system within a system...and the more you have on a vehicle the more that has a chance to fail over time.

On the turkey..... may have to hope the engine is quiet enough.... but those turkeys have keen eyes and ears anyway.

I too fall into the category; simple is better gets my vote.

Member #
    Vehicle
    1990 Bronco
    Quote Originally Posted by nailem View Post
    Maybe because I'm younger or I think I'm younger these things do not bother me at all. Mechanical things break too. l love push button 4 wheel drive and would never want to go back to h big shift in my way. This will be the same.
    i'm a young guy too; 25. But I have to disagree with ya. I cant stand electronic 4x4. Here's what happens in my F150:
    I turn the knob to 4wd H
    dash shows "ENGAGING 4X4"
    4x4.... i hit the gas.... POP! The hubs just engaged.

Sure getting out to lock hubs sucks, but the front wheels have power as soon as you throw that lever.
    I just had the transfercase in my Bronco rebuilt. It had run out of oil. all the plastic bushings inside had melted. The bearings were almost toast. It still worked great.

As for the turkey; just use a Mosin Dirt cheap and it always works.

Member #
    Vehicle
    14' CC 6'4" box
    Liked
    55 times
    Sounds like you just need to adjust the through on the 4 wheel drive motor.easy fix but its just a guess.
    My driveway is 800ft long and fills with snow in hours. I don't have auto 4x4 so I just click it in and out. I use to have locking hubs on a Toyota and we got an ice storm while I was in the movie theater. When we came out the hubs where frozen solid and I couldn't get it into 4 wheel drive. I had to wait for everyone to leave the parking lot so I could get a running start up the small grade to the street. What a hairy ride home.
    So all systems can fail. I like the ones that are a convince when working not the ones that are a inconvenience all the time just in case they break.
    Ram 1500 Crew Cab Big Horn 6'4" bed Maximum Steel metallic, Black/diesel gray interior
    3.55 rear end, 17“ wheels, Air Suspension 4-Corner

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6507 times
    Not a fan of Russian rifles from the 1800's.

That shut-off was a coast down a dirt road to what is still "Swifty's Camp" in Pa. Guessing 1973 because I just got a 1972 Pontiac Grand Am with 3 speed manual transmission. Shut that sucker off to coast and pulled out the key by reflex. No steering. Never knew that and literally no brakes. Should have stuck it in gear and let out the clutch but in a short time a tree at the bottom of the dirt road stopped me.

Hope I never have to shut off the new Motori, if I can ever get one.

Sponsored Links