Water in Fuel Filter

Water in Fuel Filter

This is a discussion on Water in Fuel Filter within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Question for diesel owners: Typically, how often does water have to be drained from the fuel filter in a diesel? Every 2,000 miles? Every 10,000? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Water in Fuel Filter

Member #
    Vehicle
    '05 Ram 1500 4X4

Water in Fuel Filter

Question for diesel owners: Typically, how often does water have to be drained from the fuel filter in a diesel? Every 2,000 miles? Every 10,000? The ED has a warning light to alert the driver which is helpful. But how often can one expect this to happen?
    Last edited by '05HEMI; 01-26-2014 at 01:41 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    05 not sure how to answer, I would drain every few months, on the 5.9 cummins I had an easy set up I put on, on the DUramax it was easy as well. I am not sure if there is a scripted answer, depends on how confident you are in the fuel you get etc.

Member #
    Vehicle
    14' CC 6'4" box
    Liked
    55 times
    I change my fuel filter once a year. On the bottom of the fuel filters in the duramax there is a water separator with a float alarm that lets you know when it is full of water and needs to be drained. There is a little plastic valve that you open to drain. I have never had the alarm go off and when changing the filter I have never had any water in it at all.
    I would say I would not be concerned at all. In 195,000 I've never gotten a drop of water. Luck maybe?
    Ram 1500 Crew Cab Big Horn 6'4" bed Maximum Steel metallic, Black/diesel gray interior
    3.55 rear end, 17“ wheels, Air Suspension 4-Corner

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6494 times
    160,000 on my old 1500 GMC diesel. No water.
    145,000 on my Duramax junk. No water.
    211,000 currently on my Cummins. No water.

I change the fuel filter about every 20-25K miles.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4 EcoDiesel(on order as of 08/01/2014)
    Liked
    59 times
    Im pretty sure it's all subjective. Any fuel can get moisture but most don't
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Ram-Related" Inventory History:

2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab 4x4 White 2-tone (on order as of 01/08/2014)
    -Security Group
    -3.92 F/D
    -Trailer Brake Controller
    -Carpet Delete
    -Outdoorsman Decal Delete(on rear of box, but badge on tailgate I left)
    -Leer 100XQ (ordered 02/12/2014)

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 F150 SCAB 2.7 Ecoboost Sport 2015 F350 Platinum, 2014 Ram EcoDiesel Standard Cab
    Liked
    31 times
    I happen to own a gas station. All of my pumps have separate filters for each product that comes from that particular pump. These are similar to spin on oil filters. There are different grades of filters available but we use a high quality water trapping filter on both gas and diesel. These are available in different micron ratings. As the filter gets more efficient there is a slowdown in the amount of fuel that is dispensed. Truck stops typically use a 30 micron filter that lasts much longer since it passes smaller particles and has higher flow. Your filter on your vehicle filters out the smallest particles. I use 10 micron filters on both gas and diesel. The water trapping feature will stop passing fuel if it reaches a particular level in the filter. I've never had that happen in my station. And I have a 30k gal tank. Keep in mind this is free water only and not absorbed water such as what happens with ethanol. The ability of alcohol to absorb water is the reason fueling systems have to be specifically designed to use blends above 10% and why it is shipped in tank cars rather than in pipelines.

So, if you buy fuel from me your filters will last much longer than the recommended interval.
    EgoDiesel, smoky and jsintx like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4 EcoDiesel(on order as of 08/01/2014)
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kalalp View Post
    I happen to own a gas station. All of my pumps have separate filters for each product that comes from that particular pump. These are similar to spin on oil filters. There are different grades of filters available but we use a high quality water trapping filter on both gas and diesel. These are available in different micron ratings. As the filter gets more efficient there is a slowdown in the amount of fuel that is dispensed. Truck stops typically use a 30 micron filter that lasts much longer since it passes smaller particles and has higher flow. Your filter on your vehicle filters out the smallest particles. I use 10 micron filters on both gas and diesel. The water trapping feature will stop passing fuel if it reaches a particular level in the filter. I've never had that happen in my station. And I have a 30k gal tank. Keep in mind this is free water only and not absorbed water such as what happens with ethanol. The ability of alcohol to absorb water is the reason fueling systems have to be specifically designed to use blends above 10% and why it is shipped in tank cars rather than in pipelines.

So, if you buy fuel from me your filters will last much longer than the recommended interval.
    I like your style.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Ram-Related" Inventory History:

2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab 4x4 White 2-tone (on order as of 01/08/2014)
    -Security Group
    -3.92 F/D
    -Trailer Brake Controller
    -Carpet Delete
    -Outdoorsman Decal Delete(on rear of box, but badge on tailgate I left)
    -Leer 100XQ (ordered 02/12/2014)

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    1053 times
    I went nearly 30K 1 year on my aftermarket 2 micron Racor filter on my Liberty. Not once did I need to empty it. There is a WIF (Water In Fuel) indicator on the dash. I am just a little concerned about the capless fuel fill on these new trucks.

PTCTreeGuy
    I'm getting the locking fuel cap they make for it. I never understood how little time people had that they could be saved by not having to undo the cap, maybe they are going for new pit stop records?

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    1053 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PTCTreeGuy View Post
    I'm getting the locking fuel cap they make for it. I never understood how little time people had that they could be saved by not having to undo the cap, maybe they are going for new pit stop records?
    Something like this?

2013 2014 RAM Diesel Billet Fuel Filler Cap Capless Fuel Systems | eBay

Water in Fuel Filter-%24_57.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links