Cold Weather... Anyone up north going to install a fuel heater?

This is a discussion on Cold Weather... Anyone up north going to install a fuel heater? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Hey all, first post here but have been thinking about this for a while and wondered if anyone else in the northern states(frigid winters) has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cold Weather... Anyone up north going to install a fuel heater?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 White Limited C.C. 6'4" box
    Liked
    9 times

Hey all, first post here but have been thinking about this for a while and wondered if anyone else in the northern states(frigid winters) has thought about putting a fuel heater on their ED? I purchased a 14' limited a few weeks back and learned the fuel filter is in the back under the bed. I Hate this! but nothing I can do about where they mounted it. My question comes because I'm a heavy equipment/semi mechanic for a contractor in north iowa and we have lots of gelling issues with filters mounted away from heat sources. Anyone else concerned that the ED will have gelling issues? After all at 40 dollars a piece for fuel filters I don't want to change them all the time due to gelling. What do you fellas think? Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Deleted...duplicate post. Sorry.

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    I live in Fargo and have been running my GMC diesel for years without a fuel heater. All of our diesel pumps switch to winter blend fuel. I work for a construction company and we run a lot of diesel equipment too. Not a lot of problems. The only time we have problems is early winter when there might be some old non blended fuel in the tanks still...I also will sometimes put a fuel additive in my tanks if it's going to get really frigid (-20F or colder), but not regularly. I have never had a fuel heater on any of my Diesels. I just plug them in if their going to be parked outside for more than a day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2344 times
    I live in Northern Wisconsin and do not intend to install any extra equipment. My experience is that the polarized no.2 fuel sold here in the winter is effective to minus 25 deg F or so. Some also sell a 50/50 No 1/2 blend and that works well too. Seems to me the big risk is when traveling and filling with non winterized fuel and several hundred miles later finding yourself in a cold snap somewhere. I will carry a bit of fuel conditioner to add in extreme circumstances and some of the 'miraclewhip' that claims to percolate through the system and dissolve gelled fuel. Will be interesting to see what happens when the cold hits.

The manual says the engine is designed to start unaided down to -20deg F and should be plugged in when colder. I do need to find the cord for the heater. Elsewhere on this Forum it has been said it can be a bit of a hunt, probably not best done on a dark -20 evening
    Last edited by howie12; 08-21-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: add the -20 plug in requirement

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4379 times
    The fuel filter housing already includes a heater. If you install a pre-filter, you might want to include an additional heater.

From the OM

• A12 Volt heater built into the fuel filter housing aids in
    preventing fuel gelling. It is controlled by a built-in
    thermostat.
    Cummins06TD and Sam I am like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    9 times
    97hmcs... that's good info to know. Learning more about these all the time! I always buy blended fuel and we always do at work but have tons of trouble with semi's that have filters mounted away from the engine(like the ED). And finer micron filters aren't helping make fuel flow in the winter any easier. Guess I'll do what I do and buy good fuel and have an extra filter and pray for the best this winter!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2344 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    The fuel filter housing already includes a heater. If you install a pre-filter, you might want to include an additional heater.

From the OM

• A12 Volt heater built into the fuel filter housing aids in
    preventing fuel gelling. It is controlled by a built-in
    thermostat.

Thanks I looked through the diesel supplement on the disc but sure did miss this. Makes me embarrassed!

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    Thanks I looked through the diesel supplement on the disc but sure did miss this. Makes me embarrassed!
    Don't feel too bad Howie, I asked the question originally! I'm also embarrassed. Guess I need to find time to read my OM and look at the disc so I know more what it says. I'm glad Ram was thinking ahead when they mounted the filter back there! Nice to get some heat somehow if you cant get it from the engine.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4379 times
    The only reason I double-checked the owners manual is because my hummer with the 6.5L TD had a heated filter housing (even though it was mounted under the hood on the firewall). The cummins and powerstroke diesels also have the heater. I'm surprised the semi's don't.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    156 times
    Nope. I use them in the big rigs, but no need in these. My Jetta TDI, and my 08 Jeep CRD never needed it. Just plug in the bock heater, good to go. Actually, never really plugged in the jeep. I find most vehicles with fuel heaters either don't have block heaters, or don't have glow plugs, or don't have both.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links