Cold Weather

Cold Weather

This is a discussion on Cold Weather within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Winter weather has arrived in Denver. Yesterday the high was in the teens and on the drive into work this morning the truck thermometer was ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cold Weather

Member #
    Liked
    131 times

Cold Weather

Winter weather has arrived in Denver. Yesterday the high was in the teens and on the drive into work this morning the truck thermometer was reading a balmy zero degrees f. I park my truck in the garage at night so I wont really know how it does in the cold till this afternoon when I leave work. Yesterday when I left work it was about 12 degrees and the truck started normally. I watched the temps and it did take about 5 miles before things started to heat up above 100 degrees, and 10-15 miles before I was close to normal operating temps. This was in a lot of stop and go traffic on the backed up freeway. If traffic was flowing better I think things would have warmed up quicker.

We'll see how things start and warm up this afternoon. The forecast is calling for temps below zero, so my DEF will probably be frozen solid by the time I get into the truck. I'm wondering if there is any indicator on the EVIC that says when the DEF is frozen.

How's everyone else doing with the cold?
    What is the coldest start you've done so far?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 ram laramie lonhorn ecodiesel
    Liked
    16 times
    well we are supposed to get down to -20c or -5F later this week and i will be out deer hunting with no power,so that will be a good test for the DEF and the start up.... it is currently -10 C and no problems

Member #
    Vehicle
    toyota HJ60 landcruiser beater truck (semi retired) ; 2014 slt ED ; 86'm-1010 project truck .
    Liked
    28 times
    -16c this morning and no issues.though I do notice the truck goes to high rpm right at start.I wish it would pause a moment to build oil pressure before ramping up the rpm.
    I think my next mod will be an oil pan heater.not a lot of smooth pan surface though.and it's aluminum so no magnetic heaters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    351 times
    I was looking at 12 V cab heaters yesterday to warm the cab while at idle. Wonder it the 12 V is keyed or always active?
    Tom
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Longhorn Crew 4x4, 5'7" box Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl with Lower Gold Two Tone Paint
    Black/Tan Leather, Air Suspension, Rear Window Defrost, No Slip Dif, Tow and Convenience Group, Ram Box, Tri Fold Cover.
    Order May 1, 2014 / Build May 15, 2014 / Completed May 29, 2014 and Shipped / Delivered June 18, 2014.

Member #
    Liked
    104 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Runcible View Post
    -16c this morning and no issues.though I do notice the truck goes to high rpm right at start.I wish it would pause a moment to build oil pressure before ramping up the rpm.
    I think my next mod will be an oil pan heater.not a lot of smooth pan surface though.and it's aluminum so no magnetic heaters.
    I think someone mentioned that the oil pan is a composite, not actually metal at all. I cannot confirm.
    2014 Ram 1500, CC, 4X4, Limited; EcoD, Cherry Pearl w/ black leather, Buckets, 28M, Tow Mirrors, Appearance Package, LSD, 3.55, Sunroof and CD

Mods: Weather Tech front and rear mud flaps, black billet antenna, Dee Zee Tail Gate Assist, Retrax One tonneau cover

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Bighorn Ecodiesel
    Liked
    1 times
    Yesterday it was 7F and my truck was parked outside all day at work. Started fine last night and had no issues. Today it was -4F on my way to work and is currently 1F. We'll see how it does tonight. I keep it in a garage at night that is about 40F.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by waffle85us View Post
    Winter weather has arrived in Denver. Yesterday the high was in the teens and on the drive into work this morning the truck thermometer was reading a balmy zero degrees f. I park my truck in the garage at night so I wont really know how it does in the cold till this afternoon when I leave work. Yesterday when I left work it was about 12 degrees and the truck started normally. I watched the temps and it did take about 5 miles before things started to heat up above 100 degrees, and 10-15 miles before I was close to normal operating temps. This was in a lot of stop and go traffic on the backed up freeway. If traffic was flowing better I think things would have warmed up quicker.

We'll see how things start and warm up this afternoon. The forecast is calling for temps below zero, so my DEF will probably be frozen solid by the time I get into the truck. I'm wondering if there is any indicator on the EVIC that says when the DEF is frozen.

How's everyone else doing with the cold?
    What is the coldest start you've done so far?
    I believe I read somewhere that there is some kind of heating system for the DEF.

Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGD View Post
    I believe I read somewhere that there is some kind of heating system for the DEF.
    There is a heater for the DEF system, but it only works when the truck is on. It doesn't keep the DEF from freezing while the truck sits, just thaws it out as you drive.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 ram 1500 diesel reg cab
    Liked
    82 times
    Just went to tier 4 final school for cat according to epa system has to be injecting def in 70 minutes I asked the 70 minutes is on all engines on road or offroad

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 ED
    Liked
    62 times
    I had -7'F this morning and mine fired right up with the remote start cranked a little slower than normal but fired right up.
    2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 6'4"bed Air suspension, Ramboxes and other cool stuff Build date of 4/2/2014 Avg 24 MPG 52000miles and counting

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links