RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

New Engine Noise

30K views 114 replies 32 participants last post by  Perrysburg Dodgeboy 
#1 ·
Developed a new engine noise, driving at 40 to 50 mph and step on the accelerator so the motor pulls ever so lightly the motor makes what sounds exactly the same as a gas engine when it is pinging. Did not know a diesel engine could ping? Or is this thing ready to blow?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#91 ·
It means its detonation.

Higher charge air temp more effectively vaporizes the diesel and it pings.

Colder weather keeps the charge cooler, and combustion flame speeds go down preventing ping.

I think we should all be looking for new trucks...

At the least its doing long term piston crown/bowl damage, at most itll break rings or slag cylinder head surfaces.

I plan to do as much as I can to improve the intercooler effectiveness (better placement, maybe a bigger one) to see if it helps, but another summer of ping and I think Ill call it quits.

#94 ·
I thought I read a post the GDE chimed in on and said this was normal. If true 'and I believe it is' The sky really isn't 'Falling '
I dont think so. If you can find the statement by them please point us to it.

The only thing I ever saw GDE say was that their tune wouldnt cause additional noises like that, and that they didnt know what it was.

Couple that with the fact that non-tuned guys in here are reporting the same noise and its pretty clear GDE isnt causing the issue.

If it sounds like detonation, gets worse with hotter temps, and (in my case) shows up with a hotter tune, I'm reasoning its detonation.

#96 ·
There have been 6 ED fail at my local dealership, which is not a big dealership. I was talking to one owner who had a failure, who owns a tractor trailer shop, and he said his started knocking at a stop light. He took it into the dealership and they found metal in the oil, main bearing issue and motor needed replacing. It was a 2015 and his staff was changing the oil with the old 5w30, truck was not updated. I know people at the dealership and all 6 failures have been main bearings.

I think your difference in hot and cold temperature is related to a lubrication issue with the main bearings. Hot temps the oil might be losing some of its viscosity (too thin), bearings create extra friction and engine knocks. Cooler temps, oil cooling system can keep up better and oil stays thick enough to keep main bearings lubricated properly. The bottom end of the engine might be on its way out, Vern was told there have been bad batches of main bearings.

#98 ·
I dont buy the pilot injection noise, that usually happens when CAT is cold, not hot. As much as I like the power the GDE tune makes, I think that comment is flippant and uniformed.

Also, I have done enough testing to know that the noise is not oil temp sensitive, its charge air temp sensitive.

I can run the oil on a colder day all the way up to 220 and it wont ping, but hotter days, CAT gets over 120 and pings like clockwork.

Lastly, PEIECO, people keep mistaking this as a GDE only issue - it happens on stock trucks too.

#102 ·
Never had any of these / pinging/ chain rattling/ noises post in early years of EcoDiesel ,seen quite a few 2016's complaints about noise , The EcoDiesel engine has had at least 9 parts number changes.These changes could be a variety of differences from different parts suppliers to slightly modified internal parts and different tuning from factory. When FCA thought they may have figured out the reason for the spun bearings,they had all the 2016's in their holding lot reflashed to a different tune and all of the engines oil was replaced with Rotella . Curious any 2017's with pinging or rattling chains noises?

You folks with noises may want to compare engine parts numbers located on the front of your engines . When engines are into production and issues start occurring ,engineers use to make minor changes then watch for warranty work to check their results , Now much easier they just check out our forum .

#103 ·
Could the material on top of the engine have changed?

When "Apollo" drove my truck while testing the towing of his boat, he commented on the loud noise. Multiple times he made comments about how different my engine sounded than his. His engine was stock with all covers/insulation. I ripped mine off and it is open at the top.

Seems quiet to me but he noticed a sound change right away. Maybe there was a change in the engine covers?

#104 ·
Your GDE tune will be slightly louder & different sounding due to pre & post fuel squirts being eliminated to save fuel. The factory did this to quiet & smooth the diesel combustion event. This may be slightly accentuated by your removal of the sound deadening foam.

#105 ·
Again, if I'm not mistaken, kylekai does not have a GDE tune, or any tune.

I am not saying my GDE tune caused the noise necessarily, but perhaps runs the motor hotter (turbo wastegate & vane tuning for more boost = hotter charge air temp) where any ED motor was already close to the edge of detonation. What we are seeing is variation in build compression from the factory, with most examples probably being lower than mine or his.

Or (as capitain suggests) it may be a piston crown shape or combustion chamber shape difference in part numbers, or a change in injectors with different spray patterns.

When I tested with a ALDL link to my phone and watched charge air temp, it was very predictable. Once CAT got over 110 or so, and I pushed into more than 20-30% throttle, the noise would happen. And again, to my ears, it sounds just like every other small block V8 I have ever heard that was in detonation, like someone was rapidly tapping on the block with a ball peen hammer.

#106 ·
Correct, I do not have a GDE tune, but my truck has the same noise issue.

When it first happened, I took it to the local dealer and he said "normal diesel noise." I think I remember a few other people on this forum getting the same remark when they took their truck to a dealer. Then I contacted RAM Trucks directly using their Contact Us form. They were willing to help, but then I thought I'd go through all that effort just to be told again it was "normal diesel noise" so I declined. If anyone wants to pursue this issue further with FCA, I suggest using their contact page.

#108 ·
I wouldn't touch your glow plugs for scoping,break one and easy 2-3k fix .... Have any of you folks tried running fuel additives? I would try simple stuff first , Archoil fuel additives has some very impressive results . Check and read if it raises the cetane ,if not try power supply there's does . Keep it simple......

Run several tanks and keep an eye on exhaust temperatures .

#112 ·
First post in a while but the 2016 ED is gone replaced with a 17 hemi Ram. Hindsight says the noise was caused by a restricted or dirty fuel filter and perhaps a straining lift pump, rattling fuel filter or cavitation in the hi pressure pump.....My summary for what it is worth.
Do not go near the dealer in Conway AR! Cost me thousands.

#115 ·
I can tell you after I got the GDE tune my truck sounds like two skeletons going at it in a closet compaired to the other guys Eco at the plant. He stopped at the truck during winter and asked WTH is wrong with your truck? Mine doesn't make that much noise!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.