Engine Fire and FC says Not Responsible

This is a discussion on Engine Fire and FC says Not Responsible within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; First time post, frequent reader. Sorry for the length, but I want to be accurate. Last week (10/3/17) my 2015 Ecodiesel with 46k miles engine ...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Engine Fire and FC says Not Responsible

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

First time post, frequent reader. Sorry for the length, but I want to be accurate. Last week (10/3/17) my 2015 Ecodiesel with 46k miles engine caught on fire. While driving and towing and empty equipment trailer at highway speed ( 55mph ) the engine began to make high pitched knocking noises, followed by partial power, and the truck started decelerating as the engine rpms dropped, then stalled. I re-started the truck and the idle seemed normal, no check engine lights displayed, I was wondering if it was a fuel filter issue causing a lean air/fuel mix or computer issue and began to drive again but quickly realized there was no power, and poor acceleration. The engine began to decrease speed and again stalled, but this time gray, then black smoke came into the cabin through the air vents, and black smoke started rolling out of the front grill and hood seams. Black smoke that smelled like burning diesel in addition to plastic. Quickly adding up the senses produced the fact that I had an engine compartment fire. I happened to have a good sized fire extinguisher in the trailer hitch tool box, without much delay in realizing car fires spread quick and not wanting a fire bomb on the US Route 20 bridge overpass to NYS Route 88, I opened the hood with pin pulled extinguisher in hand and noticed black smoke and flames coming directly from under the plastic cover at the center top of the engine ( the one that covers up the fuel and injector lines). I was able to extinguish the fire in short order. Shaken up a little as this is a first for me, I called for a towing company to take the truck to the dealership. The dealership started to look at it the following morning, they were told to stop work repair until Chrysler could send an investigator. I had a short phone interview on 10/6/17 where basic questions were asked. Monday 10/9/17 an investigator examined the truck. I received a letter today from "Mr. Kon" stating that the investigation result has led them to believe that the fire was not due to manufacturing responsibility. No additional details were offered or disclosed as to cause and would not be offered if requested as that information is proprietary. The truck is entirely stock, no modifications, and has been serviced regularly at the dealership where purchased. No assistance will be offered by Fiat Chrysler of any sort and this will not be covered by the warranty. The cost is on me. I lodged a complaint at several levels today. Chrysler could care less and offers no avenue for discussion. The dealership is shaking their heads in disbelief of the letter. No parts were taken for examination or study (melted wiring harness, melted fuel hoses/lines), without any detail provided, it appears the investigation was entirely superficial. The truth is I want to know why did this happen? It is not normal order to have an engine catch on fire. If there is a 3rd party cause, then what happened? There are many thousands of Ram 1500 Ecodiesel trucks driven daily, at this point I am led to believe each of us have a genuine risk of a fire under the hood above and beyond what is deemed acceptable. Statistically this could be a real rarity or it could be just the beginning and a matter of time for all of these trucks to catch fire. Fiat Chrysler will not pay to repair this engine fire despite still being well within the power train warranty time frame, Fiat Chrysler will not pay partial expense, will not offer to pay for something as simple as a loaner car till the repair is complete, they will not buy the burned vehicle back, they will not communicate any further on the matter. If by choice I will not purchase any FCA vehicle, and based on my experience- I would seriously question anyone in the public buying their product from Chrysler. An engine fire in a 2015 model year 46,000 mile diesel fueled truck under warranty that will not be covered by the manufacturer is not normal. Any other engine fires out there???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engine Fire and FC says Not Responsible-image_1507827857584.jpeg  

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6528 times
    Welcome....

Guess what, you are not the first. Not the first to have a strange fire and not the first to have any responsibility or warranty coverage denied by FCA.

Look around this forum and find posts by others on this topic. Maybe you and others can file enough cases with FCA or incident reports with some Federal agency to at least get answers. For now it's probably on your insurance company.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    198 times

They are refusing to pay for repairs under warranty????????? Breach of contract and consumer affairs laws in your state.

Wtf got into the idiot who typed the letter. Guy is an idiot.
    I would immediately ask my insurer to get a cause and origin investigation going and refuse to authorize repairs until completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1447 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Welcome....

Guess what, you are not the first. Not the first to have a strange fire and not the first to have any responsibility or warranty coverage denied by FCA.

Look around this forum and find posts by others on this topic. Maybe you and others can file enough cases with FCA or incident reports with some Federal agency to at least get answers. For now it's probably on your insurance company.
    Are there really other stories like this? Only other fire I remember is Vern's wire harness.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1447 times
    I think now is when you hire an attorney? I wouldn't take no for an answer, they have to do something, it is still under warranty.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram Ecodiesel Bighorn Crewcab 4x4
    Liked
    257 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EcoFire View Post
    First time post, frequent reader. Sorry for the length, but I want to be accurate. Last week (10/3/17) my 2015 Ecodiesel with 46k miles engine caught on fire. While driving and towing and empty equipment trailer at highway speed ( 55mph ) the engine began to make high pitched knocking noises, followed by partial power, and the truck started decelerating as the engine rpms dropped, then stalled. I re-started the truck and the idle seemed normal, no check engine lights displayed, I was wondering if it was a fuel filter issue causing a lean air/fuel mix or computer issue and began to drive again but quickly realized there was no power, and poor acceleration. The engine began to decrease speed and again stalled, but this time gray, then black smoke came into the cabin through the air vents, and black smoke started rolling out of the front grill and hood seams. Black smoke that smelled like burning diesel in addition to plastic. Quickly adding up the senses produced the fact that I had an engine compartment fire. I happened to have a good sized fire extinguisher in the trailer hitch tool box, without much delay in realizing car fires spread quick and not wanting a fire bomb on the US Route 20 bridge overpass to NYS Route 88, I opened the hood with pin pulled extinguisher in hand and noticed black smoke and flames coming directly from under the plastic cover at the center top of the engine ( the one that covers up the fuel and injector lines). I was able to extinguish the fire in short order. Shaken up a little as this is a first for me, I called for a towing company to take the truck to the dealership. The dealership started to look at it the following morning, they were told to stop work repair until Chrysler could send an investigator. I had a short phone interview on 10/6/17 where basic questions were asked. Monday 10/9/17 an investigator examined the truck. I received a letter today from "Mr. Kon" stating that the investigation result has led them to believe that the fire was not due to manufacturing responsibility. No additional details were offered or disclosed as to cause and would not be offered if requested as that information is proprietary. The truck is entirely stock, no modifications, and has been serviced regularly at the dealership where purchased. No assistance will be offered by Fiat Chrysler of any sort and this will not be covered by the warranty. The cost is on me. I lodged a complaint at several levels today. Chrysler could care less and offers no avenue for discussion. The dealership is shaking their heads in disbelief of the letter. No parts were taken for examination or study (melted wiring harness, melted fuel hoses/lines), without any detail provided, it appears the investigation was entirely superficial. The truth is I want to know why did this happen? It is not normal order to have an engine catch on fire. If there is a 3rd party cause, then what happened? There are many thousands of Ram 1500 Ecodiesel trucks driven daily, at this point I am led to believe each of us have a genuine risk of a fire under the hood above and beyond what is deemed acceptable. Statistically this could be a real rarity or it could be just the beginning and a matter of time for all of these trucks to catch fire. Fiat Chrysler will not pay to repair this engine fire despite still being well within the power train warranty time frame, Fiat Chrysler will not pay partial expense, will not offer to pay for something as simple as a loaner car till the repair is complete, they will not buy the burned vehicle back, they will not communicate any further on the matter. If by choice I will not purchase any FCA vehicle, and based on my experience- I would seriously question anyone in the public buying their product from Chrysler. An engine fire in a 2015 model year 46,000 mile diesel fueled truck under warranty that will not be covered by the manufacturer is not normal. Any other engine fires out there???
    I am sorry to hear about your Fire , and loss of vehicle. How large (heavy) was the equipment trailer you were towing , was it still attached to the truck when they investigated ? Also , did you receive any error message on the screen during the first time it stalled out ?

2016 BIG HORN Crew Cab SLT 4x4: -Bucket Seats-3.92 gears W/AntiSpin-Cab Lights-ITBC-Sprayed Bedliner-Carhartt Seat Covers-WeatherTech mats/rain visors-Access bed cover-Tinted Windows-Bed Mat- Skid Plates-Tow Hooks
    DeeZee Assist-Hardwired Garmin 45-MGP Caliper Covers-LED Underbody lighting-4" TC Suspension lift-HD coil springs-Bwoody adjustable track bar-35" Nitto G2s on HOSTILE Alpha H109's-Happy EGR

Member #
    Vehicle
    '15 ED, CC, 6'4", 4x4, Air Susp, Longhorn
    Liked
    850 times
    There is a recall on the water pump. It can fail and cause engine fire. Does is possibly look like the fire emanated from that area?

Very sorry for you loss. If all recourse fails with FCA your insurance company will cover replacement. I would definitely be in touch with them. Let them repair/replace and then they can deal with getting FCA to cover the bill. This is part of the reason to have insurance. They will take on the burden of retribution after you are back down the road.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2374 times
    The recall is for Cummins,which someone figured out when the bearing fails the water pump temperatures reached 1200 F + degrees .
    Thermorex likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram Ecodiesel Bighorn Crewcab 4x4
    Liked
    257 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    I think now is when you hire an attorney? I wouldn't take no for an answer, they have to do something, it is still under warranty.
    Well sorta.. If I park my truck over a leaf pile , and it starts on fire , don't think that is a warranty issue. Point being , if they can show negligence on the part of the owner , they will deny deny deny. In this case the owner restarted his truck , possibly after it thru codes and warning messages , which could be seen as negligence on his part. I hate to sound like a dick , as I know I do right now , just playing devils advocate. There are many variables to every story. FCA Claiming responsibility would most likely cause a safety recall on ALL our trucks. Not saying there is not something to be concerned with , but it would have much greater consequences than ,, just fixing OP's truck.
    Mcsap likes this.

2016 BIG HORN Crew Cab SLT 4x4: -Bucket Seats-3.92 gears W/AntiSpin-Cab Lights-ITBC-Sprayed Bedliner-Carhartt Seat Covers-WeatherTech mats/rain visors-Access bed cover-Tinted Windows-Bed Mat- Skid Plates-Tow Hooks
    DeeZee Assist-Hardwired Garmin 45-MGP Caliper Covers-LED Underbody lighting-4" TC Suspension lift-HD coil springs-Bwoody adjustable track bar-35" Nitto G2s on HOSTILE Alpha H109's-Happy EGR

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC Bighorn EcoDiesel 2WD
    Liked
    132 times
    Isn't the water pump recall on the Cummings
    2015 Bighorn CC 2WD short bed Granite Crystal
    AMP power steps, Extang Encore bed cover, Timbergrove airbags, Hellwig rear sway bar

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links