Engine shut off while driving, would not restart

This is a discussion on Engine shut off while driving, would not restart within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Coming back from Yosemite, 3rd hour of driving my 80,000 mile Ecodiesel shut off with no warning. I had just crested the last hill on ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Engine shut off while driving, would not restart

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Coming back from Yosemite, 3rd hour of driving my 80,000 mile Ecodiesel shut off with no warning. I had just crested the last hill on two lane Hwy 41 ( known as blood alley) and dash flashed. I was in traffic and coasted downhill 1.5 miles to a turn out. While coasting I put the trany in neutral and tried to restart and then just kept waiting for my power steering and power brakes to go away before I could find any pull off spot. 1.1/2 hour wait with the wife on the side of the road and then hour tow to Dealer and left key and note in drop box as it was Saturday night. Was busy with traffic but dash was reading throttle position was out..
    Transmission locked up when stopped - so read your owners manual before you are stuck on side of road in Park, above parking brake- panel must be popped off and line pulled to go into neutral, before you can get on flatbed tow.
    Called dealer Monday twice and then again Tuesday to find they "think" it is cam sensor and will be pulling the transmission this afternoon.... I didn't hear anything bad from engine or see any fluid leakage, turns over normally but what should I check before accepting car back from dealer?
    Bought new, 80K, with one prior sensor bad, (took 3 trips to dealer as it was off then on ) 4 times transmission has stuck in low gear and had to shut it off to work normally, radio works oddly on some startups - sometimes doesn't come on automatically, once it came on but would not respond to any commands. Love the ride and diesel as I use it for 20 hr driving straight trips to Denver and Canada.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Update from Dealer. Chunk missing from a part related to cam gear ( read about it yesterday, was it "dear" ), they are tried late yesterday to locate part, but do not sound hopeful. Otherwise none in North America and backordered. After confirming none available they will appeal higher up the food chain, with my truck parked......

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4358 times
    Thanks for the update. I haven't heard of this problem yet. I think you're the first. There have been a few reports of problems with a piece of the magnetic strip breaking off of the tone ring / reluctor wheel

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    97hmcs you were correct tone ring/reluctor wheel was the part. They located one on the East Coast and expect it Friday. Any other associated part that go out along with that? The magnetic strip goes somewhere so oil change must be part of that. thank you
    Last edited by twnpipe; 02-28-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Got truck back today Friday, they overnighted from East coast the $362 part. No cost to me on repair as I am at 80k miles. Nice job Cole Ram in San Luis Obispo.
    I am not used to any problems with my vehicles. I have over 600k on Toyota's with them never seeing the dealer. So shopped alternatives if this Truck breaks on another trip, as this would have cost me a week of vacation travel. Decided if needed I would buy a Highlander Hybred at 30mpg and 450 mile range for similar price of a replacement truck. I no longer tow race cars so the truck is overkill or I would buy a Cummins Ram 2500. This truck drives very nicely, rides well, more wind noise than a Volvo than I drove all week (but why would it not being a Truck with trailer mirrors). Ride, ability to carry and tow, fuel mileage and range is why I bought this vehicle, don't want to sell it, only will if I have more RAMdom failures. Appreciate the posting on this site.
    97hmcs and sourdo like this.

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Well good for you, you have thick skin. Agreed diesel feel, mileage and ride is a very nice (unique) combination.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6520 times
    Thanks for relating the story. Not sure about your warranty. If it was the normal 100,000 power-train warranty, that sure did work in your case.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Douglas1982
    I came across this thread. I just had the reluctor wheel fail on my ecodiesel. 2014 70,000 miles. They told me it is not covered under warranty. I evwn have the extended warranty can you give me some help on how you were able to get it paid for? I was also about 100 miles over oil change. Would that have anything to do with failure? I wouldn't think so but I noticed a comment you made. I also had DEF gauge go out last year. They said that was also not covered under warranty. The truck I love but I has been a money pit and left me stranded many times.
    Thanks

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4358 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas1982 View Post
    I came across this thread. I just had the reluctor wheel fail on my ecodiesel. 2014 70,000 miles. They told me it is not covered under warranty. I evwn have the extended warranty can you give me some help on how you were able to get it paid for? I was also about 100 miles over oil change. Would that have anything to do with failure? I wouldn't think so but I noticed a comment you made. I also had DEF gauge go out last year. They said that was also not covered under warranty. The truck I love but I has been a money pit and left me stranded many times.
    Thanks
    It's not related to the oil in any way. 100 miles over is more than acceptable.

What extended warranty do you have? The Maxcare should cover it and would cover the DEF gauge too.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1258 times
    this is what the reluctor ring looks like , it is located between the engine and transmission ,
    it communicates with the CRANK position sensor , in OP post he mentions CAM sensor
    maybe a typo , or is there also a Cam position sensor ??, OP also mentions removing transmission ,
    that is why I think he meant CRANK position sensor ...
    in the picture ,you can see a chunck of the magnetic strip is missing .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    RAM1500Diesel likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links