GDE Hot Tune Installed!!! Bah-Bye DEF!!! - Page 2

GDE Hot Tune Installed!!! Bah-Bye DEF!!!

This is a discussion on GDE Hot Tune Installed!!! Bah-Bye DEF!!! within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by Captainmal You write well. Reads like a sign of intelligence and so is your decision. Now questions... This DEF change by GDE ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: GDE Hot Tune Installed!!! Bah-Bye DEF!!!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    41 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    You write well. Reads like a sign of intelligence and so is your decision. Now questions...

This DEF change by GDE is the topic. Did they tell you that you no longer have to put anything in the DEF tank and can run it dry or do you still have to have something in the tank? My 2014 need something and distilled water can be that "something".Know the newer models can be run dry. Therefore real interested if your programming needs either DEF or distilled water in your tank.

Oh - your installation went better than mine. I broke the electrical connector over the intake sensor. Sid "nuts" and just plugged it back in loosely. Still sitting there over years later without an issue but I know it's not locked as I broke off that part. You are both smart and good.

I asked GDE this question more in terms of an immediate solution vs a long term one. They indicated it was completely fine to leave the DEF in the Tank as was as long as it wasn't too full in the winter such that it cracked due to expansion. I have another email question out to them more aligned with your question: "Do I have to have anything in the tank? If it is better to maintain fluid in the tank to prevent dry-rot, can I have just Distilled Water vs. DEF?" I'm not crazy about the idea of having DEF sitting in that tank over a period of years as I'm sure it would eventually turn into a crystalline block." I'll post their answer as soon as they reply.

As to my successful install... we say around these parts: "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while." I watched a Youtube video about 20-times and then downloaded and read their instructions several more before the unit got to my door. I'm not super mechanically inclined, but I'm cheap. GDE is not inexpensive, but compared with replacing that DEF Tank for potentially $3K, and that not being a permanent fix, I was determined to make GDE work. I was really surprised that everything worked as advertised after the post-install startup procedure. I'd read extensively about GDE on this site and am thankful to you Captainmal and all the others who have shared experiences on this site!
    Last edited by txnevills; 04-13-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    Captainmal and TwoBobs like this.

Member #
    Liked
    536 times
    Yes, makes perfect since to shut off the DEF rather than repair. Although tuned, currently my DEF is still functional. Will have it tuned out of existence at the first sign of trouble.

I bought a Cruze diesel a year ago. They are notorious for their DEF problems. I completely deleted all the emissions as soon as it arrived at my driveway. The DEF tank is installed in place of a spare. I ripped that sucker out of there and replaced with a proper spare. It has become our drive the wheels off car.

Yep, I know, deleting the DEF kills old ladies and little babies. We have neither here at my house, so, no worries.
    txnevills and tric3imagery like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    41 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselfever View Post
    Yes, makes perfect since to shut off the DEF rather than repair. Although tuned, currently my DEF is still functional. Will have it tuned out of existence at the first sign of trouble.

I bought a Cruze diesel a year ago. They are notorious for their DEF problems. I completely deleted all the emissions as soon as it arrived at my driveway. The DEF tank is installed in place of a spare. I ripped that sucker out of there and replaced with a proper spare. It has become our drive the wheels off car.

Yep, I know, deleting the DEF kills old ladies and little babies. We have neither here at my house, so, no worries.
    That's awsome regarding the Cruze! Honestly, I'm amazed auto manufacturers can get away with putting a component on a vehicle without which the engine won't run, and not include that component in the power train warranty. $3,000 to replace a silly DEF tank is nonsense. I'm sure the old ladies, little babies, and snowflakes will manage with a bit more NoX from a few non-affluent diesel owners.
    TwoBobs and jsintx like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1330 times
    Not going to start crying about the little smoke our trucks create ,
    have a look at the documentary on big ocean liners , the kind that carry containers , shocked to see it can burn any kind of sludge
    no need for clean fuel , " 1 " of those ships pollutes more than 3 million cars , 3 million , "" would be too complicated to reglement they say
    thousands of those ships around the planet .
    yet it is the little guy who has to keep his stuff non-polluting .
    give me a break.....
    txnevills, sam and TwoBobs like this.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1619 times
    Quote Originally Posted by txnevills View Post
    I have another email question out to them more aligned with your question: "Do I have to have anything in the tank? If it is better to maintain fluid in the tank to prevent dry-rot, can I have just Distilled Water vs. DEF?" I'm not crazy about the idea of having DEF sitting in that tank over a period of years as I'm sure it would eventually turn into a crystalline block."
    I've seen GDE answer in the past that yes, you do want to maintain some liquid in the tank to prevent the membrane inside the tank from drying out. Doesn't matter if it's DEF or distilled water, as long as it's not full enough to have expansion issues in freezing temps.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    You write well. Reads like a sign of intelligence and so is your decision. Now questions...

This DEF change by GDE is the topic. Did they tell you that you no longer have to put anything in the DEF tank and can run it dry or do you still have to have something in the tank? My 2014 need something and distilled water can be that "something".Know the newer models can be run dry. Therefore real interested if your programming needs either DEF or distilled water in your tank.

Oh - your installation went better than mine. I broke the electrical connector over the intake sensor. Sid "nuts" and just plugged it back in loosely. Still sitting there over years later without an issue but I know it's not locked as I broke off that part. You are both smart and good.
    Here is response from GDE regarding DEF Delete on their Hot Tune:

Your tune had the DEF system turned off, so you can even remove the whole tank if you want to. If the level sensor is bad, then de facto the whole tank is bad so there’s no point in leaving any fluid inside. If it were salvageable we recommend to pour out the DEF and fill with a gallon of water to keep the filter membrane permeable, else if it dries it is done and to be thrown away.

No concerns on DEF hardening, it is 67% water so some fluid just evaporates over time. Again, your tune has that whole system turned off so you can just remove and throw the tank away if you want since the level sensor is inoperable.
    Thanks
    GDE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links