GDE Hot Tune Installed!!! Bah-Bye DEF!!!

This is a discussion on GDE Hot Tune Installed!!! Bah-Bye DEF!!! within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; UPS dropped off GDE Tuned ECU today and jumped on it as soon as I got home. Only problem with the install is...I have GIGANTIC ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: GDE Hot Tune Installed!!! Bah-Bye DEF!!!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

UPS dropped off GDE Tuned ECU today and jumped on it as soon as I got home. Only problem with the install is...I have GIGANTIC hands... I have real trouble finding gloves that will fit over my knuckle-dragging hands, and getting those two bottom bolts out and back in was a royal PIA... Once that was done everything hooked up smoothly and did the startup procedure, which generates a 90% full message on the DPF. I could instantly feel a difference in how the truck shifted and noted much better response. Took about 12-miles to get the DPF back down to the point the message went away. Scanner says it was at around 8%. Also verified that the cruise control will now set at 15 mph.

I have super high hopes for a much improved experience without all the CEL foo going forward. I would love to do a full EGR delete, but fear that is beyond my mechanical acumen.
    TwoBobs and Diesel78 like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    223 times
    Congrats for sticking with it! And great you're noticing a difference right away. What year ED do you have?

Hoping to join the GDE club in the next couple of weeks - have a camping trip in a month and would like to have the GDE in place before we hit the road.

Bob
    TXRoadlizard likes this.
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBobs View Post
    Congrats for sticking with it! And great you're noticing a difference right away. What year ED do you have?

Hoping to join the GDE club in the next couple of weeks - have a camping trip in a month and would like to have the GDE in place before we hit the road.

Bob
    My ED is 2014. It was a factory order and fairly early I think. It had 70,000 miles on it when I bought it. I made almost 7,000 miles before I got a CEL (P203e) and my DEF fuel gauge stuck on 50%. Consensus here was that if I took it to Dealer they would want to change the DEF Tank for around $3,000. Thank GOD for this forum where I was able to read about GDE and DEF Delete. $900 beats $3K and don't have to worry about it any more. Honestly, if my hands weren't so danged big it would have been very easy to do in under 20-min.
    TwoBobs likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1615 times
    The hot tune generally leaves the DEF functional on all but the '17 models. Did you request GDE turn the DEF off for your '14?
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    The hot tune generally leaves the DEF functional on all but the '17 models. Did you request GDE turn the DEF off for your '14?
    I am wondering why '17 are different?

Do '17 have different ecu or other different hardware, or ecu has different stock tune?

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1615 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasechnik View Post
    I am wondering why '17 are different?

Do '17 have different ecu or other different hardware, or ecu has different stock tune?
    Different stock tune. I believe GDE has stated that FCA changed the tune in the '17 enough to the point it was easiest for GDE to just turn off the DEF.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ecodiesel, Crew Cab,
    Liked
    270 times
    I requested GDE to turn my DEF off on my 2015 mainly to eliminate another potential component of going bad and increasing the trucks reliability!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    I requested DEF Delete and paid an extra $50.00 for it. The primary reason for purchasing GDE Tune was ridding myself of the danged P203e code and the probable requirement to have my DEF tank replaced. I probably could have been more clear in the original post.
    Bounty Hunter and Kazimodo like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1314 times
    nice to know that option exists for 2014/15/16 , at the price of the def tank and whole system , nice to know one can get the tune
    with this option , I read a little on the hot tune , but never got to see that option available , NICE ....
    Thanks TXRoadlizard , and Diesel78 , and Bounty hunter.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6631 times
    You write well. Reads like a sign of intelligence and so is your decision. Now questions...

This DEF change by GDE is the topic. Did they tell you that you no longer have to put anything in the DEF tank and can run it dry or do you still have to have something in the tank? My 2014 need something and distilled water can be that "something".Know the newer models can be run dry. Therefore real interested if your programming needs either DEF or distilled water in your tank.

Oh - your installation went better than mine. I broke the electrical connector over the intake sensor. Sid "nuts" and just plugged it back in loosely. Still sitting there over years later without an issue but I know it's not locked as I broke off that part. You are both smart and good.
    TwoBobs likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links