Do GDE tuned ED's have a lower failure rate than non-tuned Ed's?

This is a discussion on Do GDE tuned ED's have a lower failure rate than non-tuned Ed's? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I was just wondering if anyone has any info about ED engine failures on tuned versus non-tuned trucks? I believe I have read that some ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Do GDE tuned ED's have a lower failure rate than non-tuned Ed's?

Member #
    Liked
    53 times

I was just wondering if anyone has any info about ED engine failures on tuned versus non-tuned trucks? I believe I have read that some GDE tuned engines have failed, but don't know what portion that failure rate is compared to the overall failure rate. Should we have a poll thread to ask? It might be nice to see if there is a correlation of the GDE tune lessening the chance of engine failures.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4354 times
    If your engine is prone to failure due to defective mechanical parts and/or quality control issues, I don't think the tune will help.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    273 times
    I agree with that and would add, the GDE gives you a chance to avoid numerous emissions related issues and gives the engine a chance to breathe a little instead of inhaling its own waste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    97hmcs, Ram1 and jg08 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel Laramie Crew.
    Liked
    194 times
    The GDE tune would not prevent an engine failure such as a spun bearing or rod bolts that were improperly torqued (obviously). As Bobcat67 mentioned, the GDE tune will most likely eliminate the emission issues and associated headaches that comes along with that. For example, my ED has been in the shop for 7-1/2 weeks. Code P0299 and P026D. Both of those codes GDE said that their tune will take care of. However, I decided, after talking to the dealer owner, to let my repairs run their course before installing a GDE tune. So far, they have replaced the MAF, Boost Sensor, EGR, all injectors and rails and now the intake manifold. The lead tech said that he was surprised that it even ran at all considering the amount of soot in the intake and that the swirl valves were stuck (my truck has 90,000 miles on it). So, essentially, I am getting a lot of the parts new that may have failed down the road. I believe that if a GDE tune is done early on that all of those issues would be non-existent. It seems that catastrophic engine failures happen early in the life of the engine which makes sense since the mechanical parts like to play nice with each other.

Now, I do have something to say about GDE that will probably tick people off here. I have called them a few times (3?) and talked about their tune. They answer the questions, but they don't seem to be the friendliest people around. Maybe I exceeded my limit of one phone call to ask a question, I don't know. I do know that if I spend $850 that I want to know what I am getting before I plunk my money down. My truck has new injectors. Does that mean the injector codes have changed? I dunno. I sent them an email a day ago and have not hear back. I hate to order a tune only to find out that because of the new injectors the truck won't run.
    1647124 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4354 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesup View Post
    Now, I do have something to say about GDE that will probably tick people off here. I have called them a few times (3?) and talked about their tune. They answer the questions, but they don't seem to be the friendliest people around. Maybe I exceeded my limit of one phone call to ask a question, I don't know. I do know that if I spend $850 that I want to know what I am getting before I plunk my money down. My truck has new injectors. Does that mean the injector codes have changed? I dunno. I sent them an email a day ago and have not hear back. I hate to order a tune only to find out that because of the new injectors the truck won't run.
    It takes much more than that to tick me off. I will say I find the GDE staff to be friendly, considerate and willing to offer help and advise. Not sure why your results were not as good.
    1647124 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Limited
    Liked
    673 times
    I've called GDE quite a few times as I go back and forth on deciding. I've had a few times where it seems they're in a hurry to get off the phone, but overall I've found them to be very helpful and willing to answer my questions.
    2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel Limited, 3.92 gears, air suspension, towing package.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    560 times
    Code P0299 and P026D. Both of those codes GDE said that their tune will take care of.

Thanks for posting above...this is good to know and would explain why (knock on wood) I have only had 1 CEL/bad sensor at 119k paid for under 8/120 (whew). EGR is like riding in the car as a kid w/ the old man's cigar lit and windows up. Don't have cancer yet put still unpleasant and unnecessary...

Called GDE many, many times and always helpful and insightful. Considered Trans tune however won't interface w/ my Apple.

Usually great mechanics and software engineers are not necessarily people oriented by nature...my $0.02
    cajunhammer likes this.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 282k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 191k / 4,550 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Thanks for your replies, The only reason I asked this question was I thought that maybe with the EGR turned off, less soot would be in the oil. With less soot in the oil, maybe the bearings might live longer, assuming that the assembly tolerances were good from the factory. Also, does GDE have a tuning strategy to not lug the engine at lower RPMs like the supposed newer 2017-onward factory tune does? If so, that feature might help prolong engine bearing life.
    Last edited by Juggernaught; 07-11-2018 at 09:41 AM.
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    560 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaught View Post
    Thanks for your replies, The only reason I asked this question was I thought that maybe with the EGR turned off, less soot would be in the oil. With less soot in the oil, maybe the bearings might live longer, assuming that the assembly tolerances were good from the factory. Also, does GDE have a turning strategy to not lug the engine at lower RPMs like the supposed newer 2017-onward factory tune does? If so, that feature might help prolong engine bearing life.
    IDK however less soot and cleaner oil has to be good in a modern EPA meeting diesel.. Seems to me their tune does something to the oil pump beyond OEM tune increasing Oil PSI.

It's my understanding this increased psi prevents the affects that lugging could bring by pushing oil to the lower end of the engine. For example...in the Winter here when outside temp is below 60F or so I noticed the PSI staying 40+ until the Oil temp is above 125F. Is that GFE v. OEM tune IDK. Your info regarding codes I had assumed and that alone is worth it...overall makes a better driving experience IMO.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 282k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 191k / 4,550 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4354 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaught View Post
    Thanks for your replies, The only reason I asked this question was I thought that maybe with the EGR turned off, less soot would be in the oil. With less soot in the oil, maybe the bearings might live longer, assuming that the assembly tolerances were good from the factory. Also, does GDE have a turning strategy to not lug the engine at lower RPMs like the supposed newer 2017-onward factory tune does? If so, that feature might help prolong engine bearing life.
    I agree with possibly extending the life of a non-defective engine.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links