Oh noooooooo! My truck broke. - Page 2

Oh noooooooo! My truck broke.

This is a discussion on Oh noooooooo! My truck broke. within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I put all my vehicle batteries on a charger and completely charge them 2 times a year, once at the end of summer and once ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Oh noooooooo! My truck broke.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1460 times
    I put all my vehicle batteries on a charger and completely charge them 2 times a year, once at the end of summer and once at the end of winter. I have had to replace very few batteries in vehicles.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingun View Post
    That^^^^^ Especially the original factory battery. Working for 17 years in the auto industry it's been extremely rare that an OE battery fails prior to 5 years. In fact it should be warranted through 5 years and some now out to 8 years.
    Bought a new 2015 crv, battery went bad, dealer said the lower end ones would do that so they went up a notch. Same thing happened again so went to batteries plus. 2 batteries in 2 years, not sure what will be the outcome of that battery since we traded it in on her pacifica

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 CC ED 4x4 BigHorn
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgbdwlf2500 View Post
    Bought a new 2015 crv, battery went bad, dealer said the lower end ones would do that so they went up a notch. Same thing happened again so went to batteries plus. 2 batteries in 2 years, not sure what will be the outcome of that battery since we traded it in on her pacifica

99% of the time there is a root cause that is not being caught that these batteries are going bad. Drain on the battery, a bad voltage regulator, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingun View Post
    99% of the time there is a root cause that is not being caught that these batteries are going bad. Drain on the battery, a bad voltage regulator, etc.
    I would agree but it was like a year on each one with no sign of the failure. It would start everytime until the time it didnt.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 CC ED 4x4 BigHorn
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgbdwlf2500 View Post
    I would agree but it was like a year on each one with no sign of the failure. It would start everytime until the time it didnt.

So the a cell went bad in both cases. Could still be an over voltage issue causing a cell to go bad or driving habits.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    546 times
    Battery life depends heavily on the climate up north 5-7 years is normal down south 3 years is normal. Mine started getting weak at 2 years and winter was starting so I replaced it ahead of time with an ac delco agm and now have the stock one mounted in my snowmobile trailer where is only has to run led lights.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2344 times
    I do have a theory on battery life that I think explains some of the failures. It goes like this-

1-Modern vehicles have a significant parasitic draw on the battery when the vehicle is parked. If not driven or charged most will go dead in 3-4 weeks.
    .\
    2-Vehicles parked at the factory for a long time or on the dealer's lot for a frew months have probably gone dead and been jumped a number of times to get going and never properly charged full. Up here they start and move vehicles after every snowstorm to plow snow. It is common to go to test drive a vehicle and they take a jump pack to get it going for you.After a short drive test drive it gets some charge but isn't charged full.

3-Discharging a battery tot he point it won't start the engine damages a battery significantly. A flooded cell battery is damaged more than an AGM but both are damaged.

4-An AGM is also damaged when it sits and isn't fully charged.

5-Remember we had a time when ecodiesels were puling up at the factory and not being sold and then we had many sitting on dealer lots waiting to be sold.

I think many batteries are damaged before the owner takes delivery of his new vehicle.

I bought my 2010 Grand Caravan off of a dealer's lot but it had been there 6 months and the battery failed in about 10 months.

My 2014 Ecodiesel was special ordered so it is likely it was never dead before I got it.

The Pacifica I bought in March of this year was on the dealer lot since September. SO far the battery is good, but I expect it will fail prematurely. We'll see.

Anyhow, that is my theory. It may not be correct but it is logical.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    I do have a theory on battery life that I think explains some of the failures. It goes like this-

1-Modern vehicles have a significant parasitic draw on the battery when the vehicle is parked. If not driven or charged most will go dead in 3-4 weeks.
    .\
    2-Vehicles parked at the factory for a long time or on the dealer's lot for a frew months have probably gone dead and been jumped a number of times to get going and never properly charged full. Up here they start and move vehicles after every snowstorm to plow snow. It is common to go to test drive a vehicle and they take a jump pack to get it going for you.After a short drive test drive it gets some charge but isn't charged full.

3-Discharging a battery tot he point it won't start the engine damages a battery significantly. A flooded cell battery is damaged more than an AGM but both are damaged.

4-An AGM is also damaged when it sits and isn't fully charged.

5-Remember we had a time when ecodiesels were puling up at the factory and not being sold and then we had many sitting on dealer lots waiting to be sold.

I think many batteries are damaged before the owner takes delivery of his new vehicle.

I bought my 2010 Grand Caravan off of a dealer's lot but it had been there 6 months and the battery failed in about 10 months.

My 2014 Ecodiesel was special ordered so it is likely it was never dead before I got it.

The Pacifica I bought in March of this year was on the dealer lot since September. SO far the battery is good, but I expect it will fail prematurely. We'll see.

Anyhow, that is my theory. It may not be correct but it is logical.
    I think you're probably right. My truck was a 2017 with 19 miles on it. Probably hardly ever moved so I'll expect my battery will fail prematurely as well

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    I hipe you are right. I ordered my ed and took delivery the day it arrived at the dealer.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Remember the good old days when batteries were serviceable? Every couple of months you checked the electrolyte level and top off with distilled water as necessary. Here in the desert southwest we lose a lot to evaporation. Heat and low humidity being the major factors. I'm lucky to get 3 years out of a battery in any of my vehicles. That's why I pay extra and get a lifetime battery from auto-zone. As long as I own the vehicle they will replace any battery that goes bad, no charge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links