Exhaust System Regeneration EVIC Screen - Page 3

Exhaust System Regeneration EVIC Screen

This is a discussion on Exhaust System Regeneration EVIC Screen within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by bruce3211 I am not understanding this discussion of never seeing that message. We take a vacation towing a 5000 lb trailer between ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Exhaust System Regeneration EVIC Screen

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce3211 View Post
    I am not understanding this discussion of never seeing that message. We take a vacation towing a 5000 lb trailer between 3000 and 5000 miles and I get the 80% regen notice at least twice each trip. I had an engine replaced at 30K miles and now have 54K and the new engine has had GDE tune on from the beginning. I know the GDE tune extended the time between the 80% regens.
    It baffles me too as to why some see it and some dont. I bought a 17 new in April. Truck has 9400 miles never had a regen message

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2382 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce3211 View Post
    I am not understanding this discussion of never seeing that message. We take a vacation towing a 5000 lb trailer between 3000 and 5000 miles and I get the 80% regen notice at least twice each trip. I had an engine replaced at 30K miles and now have 54K and the new engine has had GDE tune on from the beginning. I know the GDE tune extended the time between the 80% regens.
    With the stock tune, if the truck fails to complete several attempts at regeneration and the DPF hit 80%, you'll get the "80% Full" message. Unless there is something wrong or you short drive the truck a lot, you may never see this with the stock tune.

With the GDE tune, you can select(option when purchasing) to have the regen message pop up when the truck does a regen.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie Crew ED with 6'4 RAMbox
    Liked
    156 times
    2016 68k KMS never have seen this message. Now that I say that.......wait for it...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    "Run silent, run deep"

2016 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 Laramie 6'4 Rambox with 3:92 Rear - Air Suspension - All Packages - NAV - AntiSpin - Sunroof - G2 BackFlip
    2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD
    2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

djr
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    everyone should have a monitor on the truck like the banks, or the edge which I see on Amazon for 380 bucks from time to time. It takes all the guesswork out of what's going on with your truck. The last thing you want to do is shut your truck down while it's in regeneration and the turbo is 1000 degrees.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1355 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgbdwlf2500 View Post
    It baffles me too as to why some see it and some dont. I bought a 17 new in April. Truck has 9400 miles never had a regen message

Big Bad Wolf , it just means you are using the truck correctly ,
    when I first showed up here in 2015 there was a woman , ( I don't remember her name )
    , she used the truck to haul her horses , from one farm to another , less than 5 miles
    between the 2 places , truck never got up to temp , so it could never start a regen , even if the
    66% soot level was reached , the minimum temp to actually start the regen was never achieved
    and she got the 80% warning , and then the 90% warning , and ended up a few times at the dealer for
    stationary regens , after the dealer explained to her the needed parameters she figured it out and her explanations
    made the whole thing clear to me also . that is when I purchased a Edge monitor , that is the only way
    I found to know exactly the soot % in the DPF .
    later I read about a lot less expensive way to monitor the soot level with the torque pro app , but it was too late I
    had already spent almost $500 cdn on my monitor .
    it is great to know the soot % , because if you are far from 66% you can do as many short runs without
    risking the 80% level warning , when approching 66% just know it would be better to get it up to temp
    and the regen will happen in 10-12 minutes then cool down. you are then back at 9 % and a few small runs
    can be done again , Soot % goes up pretty fast on stock tune .

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    It's all coming back to me. I seem to remember Keith telling me that the truck with stock tune is doing regens quite often. Not 100% sure, but I believe the way GDE slows down the regens is by not letting it regen until it hits the 80% mark. Others may have said the same thing, but that is what I recall

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1355 times
    true Bruce , also the fact that FCA added an extra cycle of injection , just to make the engine quieter
    adds to the production of soot , getting the soot % to climb much faster too .
    those with GDE don't mind the Diesel noise because it only means giving up silence benefits , in exchange for
    better engine longevity .
    we will have the proof of all this 5 years from now .......
    lots of short runs , stock tune regen every 100 miles +/-
    same habits , Hot Tuned , over 600 miles .

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    Big Bad Wolf , it just means you are using the truck correctly ,
    when I first showed up here in 2015 there was a woman , ( I don't remember her name )
    , she used the truck to haul her horses , from one farm to another , less than 5 miles
    between the 2 places , truck never got up to temp , so it could never start a regen , even if the
    66% soot level was reached , the minimum temp to actually start the regen was never achieved
    and she got the 80% warning , and then the 90% warning , and ended up a few times at the dealer for
    stationary regens , after the dealer explained to her the needed parameters she figured it out and her explanations
    made the whole thing clear to me also . that is when I purchased a Edge monitor , that is the only way
    I found to know exactly the soot % in the DPF .
    later I read about a lot less expensive way to monitor the soot level with the torque pro app , but it was too late I
    had already spent almost $500 cdn on my monitor .
    it is great to know the soot % , because if you are far from 66% you can do as many short runs without
    risking the 80% level warning , when approching 66% just know it would be better to get it up to temp
    and the regen will happen in 10-12 minutes then cool down. you are then back at 9 % and a few small runs
    can be done again , Soot % goes up pretty fast on stock tune .
    I keep seeing idling is bad for the trucks but I dont think its idling as much as the short trips. The truck will run regens as long as it's running. As mentioned it's the run 4 miles shut it down. Run 4 miles shut it down. You could be stopping every regen. My new job is now 4 miles away so we will see. My last job was 11 miles but it took 40 mins to get there. Truck only hits about 180 by the time I get to work now

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4600 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgbdwlf2500 View Post
    The truck will run regens as long as it's running.
    The regen will stop at idle and continue once the RPM's reach 1500 unless the soot level is already down somewhere around 50%. In this case the regen will start again at 65% soot level. (stock tune)

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab EcoDiesel w/ 6'4" RamBox
    Liked
    50 times
    I have a GDE tune and get a regen about every 600-700 miles. When the regen occurs it shows on the EVIC. 80+% of driving is at highway speeds.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links