GDE MPG Info/Study - Page 3

GDE MPG Info/Study

This is a discussion on GDE MPG Info/Study within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Yes, and as others have stated, I mostly liked the reduced off idle lag (was really annoying and somewhat dangerous IMO with the stock tune), ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: GDE MPG Info/Study

Member #
    Vehicle
    1949 Ram B1B, 2014 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 3.55 ED 5.7 bed Rambox Sunroof
    Liked
    44 times
    Yes, and as others have stated, I mostly liked the reduced off idle lag (was really annoying and somewhat dangerous IMO with the stock tune), the "perkier" acceleration, and just overall more fun to drive characteristics. Lack of cel and egr issues is a great benefit. I opted for the engine break and regen notices and although have not yet towed, the engine brake going down Mont Eagle mountain near Chattanooga is great, set cruise at 60 or 65 and when engine downshifts attempting to maintain speed, the engine brake kicks in and holds the speed exactly where the cruise setting is. I presume it will do the same when towing, saving brakes.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorny View Post
    18k before tune, about 98k since...
    ~2.5MPG gain after tune. Before was about 21.2-21.4, after is about 23.7. (both are inclusive of towing)
    Fuelly started tracking a few months before GDE installed.
    Roughly 25 pre tune fills, about 200 post tune fills.
    Sorny,

I ran the numbers going by your Fuelly fills. You averaged 25.15 mpg pre GDE (up to 25th fill), and 23.49 mpg after GDE. Your's actually got worse! Where are you getting your numbers? Not trying to question your numbers, just understand how you feel you've gained 2.5 mpg. Was that based on the EVIC?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    575 times
    GDE MPG Info/Study-e84c6a1c-9165-4dcd-84d0-c8405f7c8281.jpeg

This one is all stock but with heavier tires and wheels

GDE MPG Info/Study-b26c8923-885a-4fee-adaa-bdbc7784a4f2.jpeg

Same everything except with gde tune and flo pro race pipe

GDE MPG Info/Study-b2910aa6-8ebf-4ded-bd7f-8ed279d81dd0.jpeg

This one is with ppei tune instead.
    gunpackingsaint likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    536 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kkaldor View Post
    I know I could take everyoneís word for it, but Iím an engineer and I like data. Case in point if I just looked at what sourdo is getting, I would think I should be getting 30mpg all day long. Well I can baby the crap out of my truck and never have a prayer to get that high. I just donít know how itís possible. Maybe he got ďone of the good onesĒ. Iím running 23-24 mpg occasionally higher or lower. I know it all depends on driving habits, Iíd love to know those of the people getting upwards of 30 mpg.

I do realize there are many other benefits to GDE tunes and they are very valuable as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All the luck with MPG is contained within the right foot and tire/inflation choice. Both my EVIC and hand calculated MPGs are continually above 30mpg. The only time I drop below 30mpg is towing. The secret is to always envision your right foot as being inflated with helium and to keep your tire pressure at or above 40psi cold. I am lucky to not have much stop and go traffic in my driving routine.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 RAM 1500 Limited Crew 4X4 ED
    Liked
    153 times
    I posted fuel calcs last week showing almost 12% improvement.

There is so much data already posted, this is just a waste of time. Buy it, don’t buy it. Your loss.
    2018 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4 EcoDiesel

Previous RAM Trucks:

2016 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4 EcoDiesel
    2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Sport 4x4 Hemi

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    7 times

GDE MPG Info/Study

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I posted fuel calcs last week showing almost 12% improvement.

There is so much data already posted, this is just a waste of time. Buy it, donít buy it. Your loss.
    Thanks for the reply Domino, Iíll have to try find your post.

Yeah, there is a lot of data on this. A lot that hasnít been proven or truly analyzed (some has been). A lot of guys saying ďI got 10%Ē or ďI gained 3 mpgĒ. Thatís not data. Those are statements. Itís not a waste of time. Iím sure there are plenty of prospective buyers out there like me who would like to see actual data in one place, not strewn about across the internet. Thatís what Iím trying to do.

Iíve already disproven one persons claims of a gain with real data. That is not my goal, but that is also why you canít believe everything you read.

Apparently some are too hung up on pointing out that there are other benefits to the tune, which I totally agree with, but thatís not helping the cause here.

Thanks to those who have posted some data that I can truly analyze!

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    This was a no brainer for me. After spending many hours reading, gathering data, gathering information, etc. Makes sence, the egr is an enemy of our ED. I drove a 2004 with the mighty 5.9 with no egr , just a straight pipe. It had over 400k miles and still ran perfectly. I wasn't so concerned about mileage as I was turning the egr off. Anyway I have a '18 ED and installed the GDE at 600 miles. It now has around 3400. I tow a little 5 x 8 trailer everyday and average 24.8 mpg. City and hwy combined. I will be installing the GDE tranny tune real soon.
    RudolfDiesel likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 4x4 Laramie longbox crewcab
    Liked
    681 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kkaldor View Post
    Sorny,

I ran the numbers going by your Fuelly fills. You averaged 25.15 mpg pre GDE (up to 25th fill), and 23.49 mpg after GDE. Your's actually got worse! Where are you getting your numbers? Not trying to question your numbers, just understand how you feel you've gained 2.5 mpg. Was that based on the EVIC?
    Well, I'm privy to data you aren't, considering I know what my MPG was the first 12k miles of ownership that isn't in fuelly (miles/gallons, not EVIC), and I know the exact date the tune was installed. I was wrong by a large factor on the number of fills; meaning your baseline calculation is grossly incorrect. I'm also assuming you didn't take a look at 0 MPG on a partial fill and exclude it, and then didn't filter out non-boat towing either... you know, to make apples to apples comparison possible.

There was no towing involved (aside from boat) on the non-GDE fills, whereas there is towing on the post-GDE fills. So, I took the time to scrub data, and excluding any non-boat towing, and then only selected the same time of year from before tune and post tune and have the following numbers for your consideration...

New (as in off the lot) into spring MPG was 19.8 from my old spreadsheet (excluding the 1 towing trip, but a couple of 10MPG fills skews things even more in GDE's favor), but post tune, excluding towing to best match first 12k miles, my MPG in those months is 22.6 MPG (late November to late April)

23.75 Pre-tune spring into early summer.
    25.12 Post-tune spring into early summer (again, excluding towing outside of the boat).

Overall my post GDE MPG is 24.48 (excluding towing outside the boat), and 23.7 (including all towing).

So, my off-the-cuff ~2.5MPG isn't that far off.

Oh yeah, my tires, which should be replaced, have an impact on post-tune numbers for the worse, and they've gotten worse since they got more than about 55k miles on them. They're over 70k on them now, and due for replacement due to tread depth getting too close for comfort for winter. Good tread life at >70k miles for a 55k warrantied tire, but think 55k is when they should be replaced anyway considering how they impact MPG. It bears further testing as I'll be getting another pair of them since I like them and they're reasonably priced.
    2014 4x4 Laramie Crewcab, Longbox, 3.55, every option except RamBoxes and parking sensors.
    1A Auto power folding tow mirrors, Mopar wheel to wheel bars, Access Lorado tonneau cover
    Weathertech floormats & mudflaps, TrailFX hood protector, Edge Insight CTS, GDE Hot Tune

Member #
    Liked
    536 times
    Kkaldor, what I am anxious to see is your results and spreadsheet.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorny View Post
    Well, I'm privy to data you aren't, considering I know what my MPG was the first 12k miles of ownership that isn't in fuelly (miles/gallons, not EVIC), and I know the exact date the tune was installed. I was wrong by a large factor on the number of fills; meaning your baseline calculation is grossly incorrect. I'm also assuming you didn't take a look at 0 MPG on a partial fill and exclude it, and then didn't filter out non-boat towing either... you know, to make apples to apples comparison
    Sorny, Good to know! I figured there must be some data I wasnít seeing. I did exclude the 0 mpg entry.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links