GDE MPG Info/Study

GDE MPG Info/Study

This is a discussion on GDE MPG Info/Study within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Hey Everyone, I'm looking for a few users of GDE to provide some basic info and data on their fuel economy results. Ultimately I'm hoping ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: GDE MPG Info/Study

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    7 times

GDE MPG Info/Study

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a few users of GDE to provide some basic info and data on their fuel economy results. Ultimately I'm hoping to gather up some real world data to influence my decision on buying the GDE tune and report back to the forum so others can make a more informed decision.

If you are a GDE user I'm looking for the following items.

1. Miles on your truck before GDE tune installed.
    2. Miles on your truck since GDE tune installed.
    3. Improvement in MPG since GDE tune installed (this can be calculated or educated guess). If calculated, what was your before and after MPG?
    4. Yes/No, have you used Fuelly or some other method to track MPG before and after the tune?
    5. If yes, how many pre and post GDE fuel ups have you had?

Thanks in advance for everyone's responses. I'll do a deep dive into this and report back my findings ASAP. I know there's a lot of information out there regarding fuel economy related to the GDE tune, but I want to take the opportunity to compile some of this data in one thread.

Kkaldor

Admin/Mods, I know this probably should be in the Tuner forum, but I was thinking it would get more views and responses here. Please move if necessary.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    1055 times
    1) <500 miles
    2) Approx 53,000
    3) Never went through a full tank before tuning
    4) YES
    5) All Post
    2015 Ram 1500 ED Big Horn (Purchased 8/15) CC 6.5' Bed, GDE Tuned Since Week 1, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit Tonneau, 1A Auto Tow Mirrors, Debadged, SLT Grill Inserts, XD 797 Spy 18x8.5 Wheel with Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 LT275/65R18 Tires, 20" Stock Wheels Plastidipped with 275/60R20 Blizzaks DM-V2
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, GDE Engine and Transmission Tuned
    Back to work, New Travel Trailer Coming!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Quad Cab 4x4
    Liked
    44 times
    1. Miles on your truck before GDE tune installed. 25,000

2. Miles on your truck since GDE tune installed. not many, less than 1,000 (installed last week)

3. Improvement in MPG since GDE tune installed (this can be calculated or educated guess). If calculated, what was your before and after MPG?
    Mine is still settling in. have had this on truck since last wednesday, so 1 fuel up, which was 75% pre GDE. I did reset the mileage indicator at install, and it is showing 26-27 mpg, still fluctuating. before was 22-24.

4. Yes/No, have you used Fuelly or some other method to track MPG before and after the tune? Fuelly in signature. the note "tune up" is the GDE install. between fuel up 11 and 12.

5. If yes, how many pre and post GDE fuel ups have you had?11 pre, not even 1 full one post......
    IG: JimboAnz / YouTube: JimboAnz

Babe the Big Blue Ox Build Page - https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...uild-page.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    583 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kkaldor View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a few users of GDE to provide some basic info and data on their fuel economy results. Ultimately I'm hoping to gather up some real world data to influence my decision on buying the GDE tune and report back to the forum so others can make a more informed decision.

If you are a GDE user I'm looking for the following items.

1. Miles on your truck before GDE tune installed. 50,000
    2. Miles on your truck since GDE tune installed. 113,000
    3. Improvement in MPG since GDE tune installed (this can be calculated or educated guess). If calculated, what was your before and after MPG? Hand/Fuelly 25.2 B4...27.8 After
    4. Yes/No, have you used Fuelly or some other method to track MPG before and after the tune? TES, Fuelly link in my signature...GDE added 9/01/2016
    5. If yes, how many pre and post GDE fuel ups have you had? IDK 338 total after today

Thanks in advance for everyone's responses. I'll do a deep dive into this and report back my findings ASAP. I know there's a lot of information out there regarding fuel economy related to the GDE tune, but I want to take the opportunity to compile some of this data in one thread.

Kkaldor

Admin/Mods, I know this probably should be in the Tuner forum, but I was thinking it would get more views and responses here. Please move if necessary.
    3//01/2018 I put 305/55/20E AT3Ws on my truck and lost the 2 MPG overall since. After playing w/ tire pressure since I have landed at 63psi cold...down to 1 mpg loss overall and began this pressure 10/01/2018 so time will tell overall MPG. Best tank ever (4x4 leveled) was 725 miles range wise
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 285k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 194k miles / 4,694 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 BigHorn 4x4 3.55
    Liked
    64 times
    1. 345
    2. 1100
    3. 4-5
    4. no
    5. none pre (345 miles) 755 post. Was averaging 30 MPG last 250 miles on 50 MPH secondary roads. Then I had a regen. I'm now @ 28.5 since the regen 50 mi ago but I think it's going to climb back up. Tank's just below 3/4 after 250 miles from fill. I'm lovin' it.

2018 Bighorn 3.55 gears

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 4x4 Laramie longbox crewcab
    Liked
    681 times
    18k before tune, about 98k since...
    ~2.5MPG gain after tune. Before was about 21.2-21.4, after is about 23.7. (both are inclusive of towing)
    Fuelly started tracking a few months before GDE installed.
    Roughly 25 pre tune fills, about 200 post tune fills.
    2014 4x4 Laramie Crewcab, Longbox, 3.55, every option except RamBoxes and parking sensors.
    1A Auto power folding tow mirrors, Mopar wheel to wheel bars, Access Lorado tonneau cover
    Weathertech floormats & mudflaps, TrailFX hood protector, Edge Insight CTS, GDE Hot Tune

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6674 times
    So what are you afraid of?

Seems to me the question begs the inference that you are thinking of buying and installing GDE into your vehicle. Well on this forum and the GDE forum you will find masses of information discussing not only the mag benefits but the real longevity benefits. Then there's also the performance benefits to be considered.

Since mpg is what you ask about my take after about 75,000 miles of GDE is ... 2 mpg - hand calculated.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 4x4 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    Liked
    195 times
    1. 7000

2. 10000

3. None, hand calculated.

4. No.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    So what are you afraid of?

Seems to me the question begs the inference that you are thinking of buying and installing GDE into your vehicle. Well on this forum and the GDE forum you will find masses of information discussing not only the mag benefits but the real longevity benefits. Then there's also the performance benefits to be considered.

Since mpg is what you ask about my take after about 75,000 miles of GDE is ... 2 mpg - hand calculated.
    Not really afraid of anything and yes I am thinking about purchasing. Just would like to see hard MPG data instead of off the cuff guesses (in some cases). I’ve read a lot of people’s opinions and reviews with most being very favorable. Thanks for your response!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    182 times
    I am also debating the GDE tune for several reasons. One of which is the cost and payback potential. The other is that there are a lot of posts on here talking about how great the tune is when it was put on with less than 1000 miles on the truck. How is there enough butt time to tell a difference? I just rolled past 12,000 miles and don't thing I know the truck well enough to say, "WOW, look what this tune did for me". Heck, the engine is probably not even a quarter of the way to being broken in.

Also, with the latest EPA witch hunts, there is just enough doubt that forces the tune money to go towards the truck payment. At least until the dust settles.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links