DEF Injector plugging - Page 2

DEF Injector plugging

This is a discussion on DEF Injector plugging within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; My DEF pump was weak. I kept cleaning it 'till I got the Death countdown. Dealer replaced pump under warranty, but injector never really plugged ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: DEF Injector plugging

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    My DEF pump was weak. I kept cleaning it 'till I got the Death countdown. Dealer replaced pump under warranty, but injector never really plugged (internally). Still, could be due to a weak pump i guess.
    2015 1500 Ecodiesel HFE

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1441 times

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1095 times
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I have had to replace two DEF injectors in two years due to plugging. The truck sits for 3 months in a garage in AZ in the summer. When I run it after storage the injector has been plugged each time. Dealer said there are two fixes: take it out and hammer it like it was a rental to clear the fluid from the tip of the injector or run the DEF reservoir down to low level before storage. Neither seemed like the right answer. Suggestions?
    How hot does it get in the garage?

I'm speculating BUT...

it also depends on what is plugging... is it the nozzle? or something internal? If its the nozzle, i'd suspect that the nozzel is oozing def when it sits until the pressure behind the injector reaches zero PSI. given the AZ heat, this could cause the oozed DEF to crystallize and clog your nozzle. I'd say this is probably a low possibility.

I'd also suggest that the heat i could be causing your Urea concentration in the tank to Increase due to evaporation. If it gets really hot, the vapor pressure of the water is high enough to cause some water to evaporate and escape the tank. as water evaporates slowly, the higher concentration of Urea is then more prone to crystallization in your DEF system and screw stuff up.

Does it clog immediately when you take the ar out of storage, or does it take a few days of running before you have issues?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

RAM Jr Member slydogd@hotmail.com's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 2016 Big Horn crew cab
    Liked
    5 times
    Picking the community Eco diesel Brain. I Had my Def system Die on me a while back the exact time our warranties were extened. took 3 weeks but i finally got my truck back. I had a vacation with the family planned. drove it 500 miles to get there and mileage is not what it used to be after the flash. Anyway I drove the truck on the beach on the outer Banks. it was cool. Then Bing Engine will not restart service def see dealer. 1000 miles and the exact thing that was just fixed is broke again. Not a big deal i know how to bypass limp mode. so i drove it 5000 miles with it like that. Best security system you can by when in limp mode. i just leave the keys in it. LOL. Anyway needed inspection done so back to dealer for the warranty edf system. They confirmed it was the exact same parts as before. Then they tell me that the reason is because there is so much corrosion underneath that exhaust is plugging the injector and that isnt covered under warranty. but needs replacing. So i am very skeptical of this as we just reached 3 yrs old and this baby was undercoated. I told them no and just write down the parts my grandpa has a lift and i wil do it myself. So do you all think they made that crap up or has anyone else seen something like this. I hate Dealers by the way. they are crooked. not to be trusted snakes
    sourdo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2450 times
    If it’s your def injector clogging up , That’s an extremely easy fix just clean it out ....

RAM Jr Member slydogd@hotmail.com's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 2016 Big Horn crew cab
    Liked
    5 times
    Almost 2 weeks and i still haven't gotten my truck back. They are insisting that if this other part isnt fixed then the def injector will continue to fail. I told them to write down the parts they are talking about and i will look at it. Something underneath they are saying is so corroded that exhaust is getting to injector and causing problems. from my understanding everything around that is exhaust and emissions related and would be covered with new warranty. He is telling me it wont be covered again if these other parts are not fixed. I am calling BS and saying let it brake again i will look into the buyback clause. Whats the thoughts out there. I feel like they are going to screw with something on there cut my brake lines or something. so if i die you know the dealer did it.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 09-12-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links