Bad crank position sensor AND leaking EGR cooler

This is a discussion on Bad crank position sensor AND leaking EGR cooler within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; So back to my AA group for Eco D owners, the other ED Anonymous! Hi my name is Rich and I own an EcoDiesel....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bad crank position sensor AND leaking EGR cooler

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 EcoDiesel Tradesman W/2” Bilstien lift
    Liked
    13 times

So back to my AA group for Eco D owners, the other ED Anonymous!
    Hi my name is Rich and I own an EcoDiesel.
    gjohnst17 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    13 times
    So loaded truck on flatbed again. Fourth time. The crank sensor was the code that came up. But I mentioned to them that after experiencing a bout of “no heat at highway speed” ended up adding a full jug of antifreeze. While I was waiting for the flatbed I lifted the hood and noticed coolant was back down lower than it was before I added the last jug. Told them to take and test an oil sample. Of course they found the EGR cooler leak and said that was going to be a costly fix as not covered under drive train warranty like the sensor would be.

Question is Ithought I heard mention that Chrysler stopped fixing cooler leaks when coolant was found in the oil due to eventual engine failure caused by engine wash down from coolant?

Comments?

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    341 times
    Oil analysis should show any damage from antifreeze in oil. My worry would be did it damage cylinder heads or gaskets. I once had a Mazda sedan with a crack in the cylinder head that sprayed antifreeze into 1 cylinder. I ran it that way for 100,000 miles, just kept adding antifreeze often and changed oil every 3,000 miles. Finally it burned a valve and I fixed it. Drove it almost 300k, So some antifreeze in the oil doesn't mean instant engine death, regardless of what FSA says. Suspect they used this story to cover some up main bearing failures.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1264 times
    coolant low rarely means coolant in the oïl ,
    the egr cooler can send your coolant in the exhaust , not good for the DPF ( diesel particule filter )
    EGR cooler is different beast than oïl cooler , EGR cooler can be removed and plates installed to block 2 exhaust holes
    and 2 coolant holes . kit cost less than $200 , it will throw codes , for that you can get a tune like the GDE tune , it is already compatible with the EGR cooler delete
    the whole thing would cost less than replacing the EGR cooler that will fail again .
    crank position sensor is located between engine and transmission , cost of part is nothing compared to hours of work charged .
    here is athread that talks about the Crank position sensor and reluctor ring ( named HARMONIC WHEEL ):
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...y-stumped.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    13 times
    I came across the link kazimoto attached in another tread “2016 loosing coolant” excellent link for this issue and after reading I am fairly confident that mine was going out the exhaust. Which in turn brings me back to a previous issue I had with a HUGE deposit on my MAP sensor (which dealer also said it has a large deposit, again! That haven’t been in only a couple months). Coolant vapors going through exhaust and EGR loop and entire engine. Am I going overboard with my thinking? Certainly concerned with wax build up and damage mentioned forming on DPF. Concerned with longevity issues. I am at 72,000mi, wouldn’t mind full delete but how should I look at sequence. Forget the cooler repair altogether and just delete? I guess no question I will have to drink from the GDE cool aid fountain . Eventually cut the DPF open and gut it. Contact Santa for an extra line of credit.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 RAM 1500 Limited Crew 4X4 ED
    Liked
    152 times
    You just need to delete the egr cooler. No need for a full delete. You can do that later if really needed.
    2018 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4 EcoDiesel

Previous RAM Trucks:

2016 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4 EcoDiesel
    2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Sport 4x4 Hemi

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1264 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    You just need to delete the egr cooler. No need for a full delete. You can do that later if really needed.
    exactly , delete just the EGR cooler , never mind the DPF and SCR ,
    the clogging would manifest itself with excessive number of regens .have an eye for that ,
    the 1000 degree could burn that crap maybe , just monoitor ..
    Sasquatch does not sell the stage 1 or 2 EGR cooler delete kits anymore
    but CFT performance still sells them .
    info on how to do remove EGR Cooler in here : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/d...tructions.html

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    13 times
    If I am doing delete do I even have to have cooler repair done since it is out of warranty?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2337 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwingblade View Post
    If I am doing delete do I even have to have cooler repair done since it is out of warranty?
    There are kits that eliminates the EGR cooler completely. I'm guessing your going to do a full exhaust delete, might as well take the cooler out too.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1264 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwingblade View Post
    NO , removing is a cheaper alternative to paying for the expensive EGR cooler repair ,
    would be like cleaning a air filter before throwing it away ,
    you throw the removed EGR cooler in recycling or take it apart to see how it is made Inside ...
    but there are pictures of the insides of an EGR cooler already on the site if you are curious .
    the 5 year warranty on engine ( powertrain ) is not over yet on your 2015 , that is the touchy part , will FCA deny any coverage
    based on the reason the big chunck is missing ....more decisions to evaluate based on that ....but you already talked about intention to do full delete ,
    so I guess the decision to modify is taken already .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links