Spare tire carrier winch / hoist question

This is a discussion on Spare tire carrier winch / hoist question within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I think my spare tire hoist is....well...not working 100%. I can lower the spare, but I can’t seem to raise it to the point it ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Perrysburg Dodgeboy
  • 1 Post By kmcintyre

Thread: Spare tire carrier winch / hoist question

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie CC 4WD Eco-Diesel
    Liked
    28 times

I think my spare tire hoist is....well...not working 100%. I can lower the spare, but I can’t seem to raise it to the point it seats and stays “in place”. I thought this was a slack job by the tire installer but I couldn’t keep it snug against the frame/body etc. My OCD is getting annoyed by the slightly jostling tire sounds when going over some bumpy roads (every day as we have a brick road near our place).

For some background, I was really torqued to learn that the factory rims would not mount underneath. I’d love kick the responsible person for that decision square in the slats. So when it came time to get new wheels and tires, I went for a 5 wheel rotation setup. I bought KMC XD135 rims in 18” (32lbs) with a 78mm ID that works with the lift cup. The tires are Michelin Defender LTX M+S 275/70-18 E range (51lbs).

So I agree the wheels are larger and heavier so perhaps I need a better system than stock. Is that even a possibility?

Z

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2381 times
    I've read on another forum that people have been successful in putting a 35" spare under the truck by deflating the tire slightly. Is it possible you tire is not sitting flat against the bottom of the bed?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 3500 Megacab. True Blue, SRW, AS69RC
    Liked
    92 times
    As stated, make sure it is not caught on anything. Had that happen. The other issue, if I recall is that the wheel has to be installed a certain way. Say valve stem facing down or facing up... just cannot remember which way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    987 times
    More than likely the tire was put on the host cable upside down! look to see if the tire valve is visible, if not the tire is backwards.
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6675 times
    Know you can get it cuckoo putting it back up. Read all of the above. Now pull it back down and play. Look where it's going and what it may hit on the way up. Crank the cable up without the tire and be sure the darn thing is going up far enough.

Play around. Bet you find it. If so, report back.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Laramie Eco-D, 4x4 CC, pearl white, tow pkg & mirrors, spray-in bed liner, Leer XR-100 cap
    Liked
    7 times
    Mine is doing the same thing. Found the spare about 4" down from the frame of the truck, bounding all over the place. Had been snug against the truck when I cranked it up. Put the tool in to crank it back up, and it just turned with a clicking feel, but no spare movement. I believe there is a plastic gear (FCA: Really?) in the hoist that can't handle the stress.

Had the truck in to get the tailgate latch warranty recall done, and had them take a look. They said the hoist needed replaced, and they would order one and let me know when it arrived. Now, if I can only get them to answer the phone. Getting tired of the spare in the bed of the truck.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 4x4 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    Liked
    195 times
    I put a standard size 20" Michelin up there... had to buy a steel rim but at least I have a full size spare. There were some bolts sticking out from the rear bumper (not sure what they are because I didn't investigate) but had to navigate the tire around those to get it up there and tight.
    Kazimodo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    1055 times
    I have nearly the same setup. I believe the outside of the wheel has to face down for it to work. I went a different route. I have thick PVC board which I cut, drilled a hole in, and use as a spacer and as a buffer to not scratch my wheels. I put the wheels in outside up to try and protect it from scratches, also.
    2015 Ram 1500 ED Big Horn (Purchased 8/15) CC 6.5' Bed, GDE Tuned Since Week 1, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit Tonneau, 1A Auto Tow Mirrors, Debadged, SLT Grill Inserts, XD 797 Spy 18x8.5 Wheel with Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 LT275/65R18 Tires, 20" Stock Wheels Plastidipped with 275/60R20 Blizzaks DM-V2
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, GDE Engine and Transmission Tuned
    Back to work, New Travel Trailer Coming!

Sponsored Links