Renewable Diesel

Renewable Diesel

This is a discussion on Renewable Diesel within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Saw this at my 76 station yesterday, new from my last fill up. I was on E and in a rush so had to fill ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Renewable Diesel

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Renewable Diesel

Saw this at my 76 station yesterday, new from my last fill up. I was on E and in a rush so had to fill up. Anyone run across this stuff and had any issues?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Interesting. I put fuel in yesterday at my local 76 in California. Didn’t see that on the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic.br View Post
    Saw this at my 76 station yesterday,
    Where were you?
    2015 1500 Ecodiesel HFE

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    @pizza442, NorCal east of Sacramento

Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic.br View Post
    @pizza442, NorCal east of Sacramento

Hi: firemedic.br... $8.99!!! For that price it should be "Rocket fuel".
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie. "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt".
    shawclan5 and DrivingZiggy like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    311 times
    I'll bet it's just a Bio Diesel blend. Still you should change your fuel filter more often if you run Bio. $8.99 is for the smokes, haha. Glad I don't smoke...
    shawclan5 and Dark-n-Stormy like this.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    Bighorn, Bright Silver Metallic, 4x4, Crew Cab, air ride. Katzkin leather. GDE
    Liked
    139 times
    Probably the same stuff as Propel. If so I’ve never had any issues. Now days just Costco diesel for me. New tanks, frequent turnover, cheapest for CA prices.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2299 times
    Let me try and add some background and facts to this discussion

First-Renewable Diesel is refined/processed from feedstock of waste vegetable fats and oils. It is not the same as biodiesel. Renewable diesel does not have the drawbacks of biodiesel and seems to meet all the specifications for petroleum based diesel fuel which biodiesel does not. Several companies have proprietary processes to create renewable diesel. Note some processes seem to be able to also accommodate animal fats and others may not.

Second-Chevron purchased Union Oil, Texaco, Gulf and Tenneco over the last 30 or so years. The the process of buying and merging these companies into Chevron various parts of the new merged COmpany were either required to be sold by the US government or were sold by Chevron to help finance the purchase or because the particular facility or brand did not fit into the new vision Chevron had for iteself at the time.

THird-Somewhere along the way the Union 76 brand found its way to Phillips 66 who now controls it.

Fourth-As part of the Texaco purchase Chevron sold the their share of a Texaco/Saudi refining and marketing JV to Shell and that organization became Motiva. In 2017 Shell left the Motiva JV and it became wholly owned by Saudi Refining. Their retail products are marketed at Shell and 76 stations in the Gulfcoast and Southeast US. Motiva licensed the use of 76 brand from Phillips. Motiva licensed 76 stations seem to have the word Motiva to the right of the traditional 76 logo.

Sixth-In 2015 Motiva announced it was going to add a renewable diesel processing unit to its Port Arthur refinery. I presume, but do not know for sure, that that plant is now up and running and would likely be the source of the renewable diesel showing up at 76 stations.

From what I can see it should be safe to use as petroleum diesel and does not seem to have the limitations that biodiesel has on oil change intervals. It isn't clear to me if it has the added lubricity benefit that biodiesel has. It also isn't clear if the 76 renewable diesel product is 100% renewable diesel or just a blend. Propel seems to be 98% renewable diesel.

ANyhow, that is combination of what I know I know and what I think I know about the subject.
    DJL_57, RansomT, sourdo and 5 others like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    552 times
    A local Zaxby's owner has an F250 that smells like fried chicken when it goes by...these systems have been around a long time.

https://www.atg-germany.com/vegetabl...ersion-system/
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 280k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 188k / 4.460 hrs and counting

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    If this stuff is pretty much the same as Propel, that's great since Propel is very limited in avail.. I have to drive 35+ miles to a station.
    2015 1500 Ecodiesel HFE

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links