RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

FCA 3.0L Diesel Settlement Website

76K views 240 replies 95 participants last post by  RAMIT 
#1 ·
#4 ·
At this point, no. Our northern cousins will have to wait and see if their enviro-critters pursue a class action.

#12 ·
I wonder which is better, submitting a paper claim or waiting for the online submission form? Paper claims can get lost. They may, and I hope they do, have a tracking feature in the online form.

#14 ·
One of the questions I have that were not addressed in the FAQ, I had an EGR Cooler failure that occurred at 32,000 miles which was not covered under warranty because original Emissions Warranty is only 24 months/24K miles. Any remedy you know of to recover my out of pocket costs for that failure? Under the settlement the cooler will be covered for the extended period of 4 years/48K miles from settlement date........

#15 ·
I believe that the Basic Limited Warranty (3/36) should cover that.

Text Font Line Number

If you happen to live in sunny CA, then it is even better.

Text Font Line Document Organism

#20 ·
So the real question on our minds how does this impact those of us with GDE tune. Do I need to order in a stock tuned ECU from GDE and go in for the reflash so I can get the $3000 and then put my tuned ECU back in?

#21 ·
No and yes. You don't have to order the stock tune from GDE. You could find a used one (look up wrecked trucks) and take it to the dealer and have them flash it for you. Costs about $100-150 for dealer to flash. Tell the dealer your current ECM is dead and you need this one flashed so you can install it. If they balk find a new dealer. You could ask GDE about them doing it but they just take it to a dealer.

Yes, you do have to have a stock ECM tune in your truck with all the hardware (DEF, DPF, EGR, SCR) intact when you go in for the 'update' which is likely just an ECM flash. If you don't have one of those items the dealers will refuse to complete the work (and paperwork) until you bring it back into spec. That is written directly into the documents.

#23 ·
I too got the Settlement information in February 2019, called my dealer to have him do "the fix"... he had no idea what I was talking about.

#27 ·
I have a question, if the GDE tune is the answer to all the problems, our trucks are having, and I see people going to take the $3075 and get a tune the following week, then why can't Ram just do a tune on the 114,000 trucks out there and make sure the emission work? . If the GDE tune makes the truck last longer and run better then why are the engineers from Ram not looking into it? Is there something about the GDE tune that is bad for the truck? I have no idea about the GDE tune, Only what I see here, and how people are running out to have it installed, but would like to know what is it that is so great about the GDE tune . I am thinking seriously about opt out of any settlement. So far, my truck has been with no problems, 40,000 miles and I would like it to stay that way.

#32 ·
I have been assaulted recently with mailers and online (emails) from local RAM dealers and FCA wanting us to trade our 2016 ED in and from MoPar wanting us to buy an extended warranty. This is weekly and a new thing and feels like a super effort by FCA. Then yesterday, we took our truck in the local dealer for full service, fuel filter and tire rotation. The service department said they knew nothing of a computer flash related to the settlement. But as we sit in the waiting room, we got a phone call from sales department wanting to know if we were still at the dealership. They said they wanted to buy our truck or offer an especially good deal on a trade in. A team of a sales person, an appraiser and a manager found us and attempted to get us to sale or trade our ED.
We understand that the settlement also includes a "free" and comprehensive extended warranty? It just seems like FCA is attempting to get these 2014, 15 and 16 trucks off the road or out of the hands of the original buyers before the settlement? The $3000 settlement compensation and the approx. $2000 cost of a comprehensive extended warranty represents approx $5000 to FCA on each truck? BTW.....the dealer offered me low book for my truck ($25,000) which is in perfect condition and at this point (knock on wood) is running perfectly and wanted $57,000 for their equivalent 2019. I'm not sure I trust FCA in this situation. Although we currently love this truck....I still feel the court should force FCA to at least offer a buy back. From what I hear and read.....all of us ED owners could have a major engine failure at any time and at any mileage, not a very comfortable feeling.

#33 ·
I went through the same thing at my local dealer when I brought mine in for a recall. I have a 2016 with low miles. All they want is a sale. They get you to buy a new one and sell your used one on the used lot for more profit. Tell them to pound salt and they'll move on the next guy.

As for engine failures, I wouldn't be too concerned. Don't drive it like you stole it, stay on top of your maintenance and you'll be fine. The negative reviews on any engine is always the loudest.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

#34 ·
Other than a few minor issues, had been pretty much loving my 2015 ED especially for my long boat towing trips. Always had that hint of uncertainty though with all the nay-sayers out there, kind of waiting for my big let down. Now here we are with the settlement in site and I'm feeling pretty good, looking to hang on to this things for a long time.

Then yesterday...oncoming driver loses it and takes me out. I'm fairly certain this will end up as a total. Major damage and full air-bag deployment.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Truck

Just wondering if/how this will affect me in the settlement since I obviously can't bring it in for the flash and potentially will most likely will be turning it over for salvage soon, once the accident settlement comes around.

Any thoughts appreciated. I haven't submitted a claim form yet.

#44 ·
Then yesterday...oncoming driver loses it and takes me out. I'm fairly certain this will end up as a total. Major damage and full air-bag deployment.

Just wondering if/how this will affect me in the settlement since I obviously can't bring it in for the flash and potentially will most likely will be turning it over for salvage soon, once the accident settlement comes around.
Good to hear no one was hurt.
I would definitely mention to your and the other driver's insurance company that this accident has cost you the settlement money. They should be on the hook for the difference between what your entitled to get and the reduced pay out now.

#35 ·
First... glad you're OK.

It does state that if you are no longer in possession of the vehicle due to a total loss that you are not eligible.

Class Members whose Eligible Vehicles (1) are damaged after January 12, 2017 and before January 10, 2019, in a manner that renders them a total loss (i.e., “totaled”), and (2) are transferred to an insurance company or otherwise sold to a junkyard, salvage dealer, or the equivalent, shall be treated as Eligible Former Owners and offered a Former Owner Payment.

#37 ·
If your State (AG's Office) was also involved in the suit, you could be getting some additional monies as well. AZ is getting some of the settlement, and will be awarding $1000 to 2585 AZ owners. They did the same with the VW case as well..., so watch your AG's website.

#43 ·
Thanks all, for the input and the well wishes.
Yes the airbag deployment is a sight to behold from the inside. Kind of like riding inside of a marshmallow for a few seconds. Darn glad they were there for me.
What really stinks is I'm supposed to be leaving for Florida with the boat in three weeks for a two week vacation. I've got to do something to become "un-truckless" in pretty short order. As much as hate to, I may be going back to a gasser.

#54 ·
So, when are they going to open the online claim submission option? This is taking on the feeling of one other major website release in recent history.

... and before you say it ... yes ... I have signed up for email updates.

#60 ·
Am going on 2500 mile fishing trip June 18th, hope the AEM is ready and installed. It will allow me make a good comparison as I have done this trip to Idaho
and Montana several times in the past. 80 MPH Speed Limits for more than half the trip up and back... Have all the past trips recorded in my phone
App.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.