Diagnosing a P24AE code.

Diagnosing a P24AE code.

This is a discussion on Diagnosing a P24AE code. within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I will try to make this brief as I can but. In my previous life I was a certified technician that specialized in electronics and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Diagnosing a P24AE code.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Diagnosing a P24AE code.

I will try to make this brief as I can but. In my previous life I was a certified technician that specialized in electronics and drive ability issues. This was before OBDII and I was not just a trained monkey, I was a diagnoser. Excuse me if I have some of the new terminology incorrect.

I drive a 2015 ED with 60,000+ miles on it and love it. I drive 20 miles to work so everything gets to normal operating temp. A few weeks ago I let it set and idle as I talked with my neighbor for over an hour. After I started driving the CEL came on and my neighbor, who is still a technician, scanned it to find the P24AE. Our research shoes this to be the PMS (Particulate Matter Sensor). Cleared the codes and drove for a few days before it came on again, right after I went through an automatic car wash. I read about the moisture in the connector on the frame rail but didn't have time to pull it apart to check for moisture. Continued to drive and every few days the light would come on and i would clear the code.

This past weekend I took a 10 hour trip and had a friend with Torque and a blue tooth so we monitored the PMS DPF. Pulling a 6,000 lb trailer at highway speeds the DPF % varied between 40 - 64%. Then the CEL came on and it went to 100% and stayed there. When we stopped for a break we cleared the codes and when we hit the road again the DPF was at 20%.

To me that sounds like a sensor but me being me I want to make sure there is not something else causing the code and the sensor is acting normal.

Today I pulled the all of the frame rail connectors apart and cleaned them. none of them looked like they had moisture in them but the one on the inside of the frame rail had been pulled off it's mounting clip and was just hanging. I will clear the code and drive tomorrow.

My question to any true mechanic on this forum is: Is there any diagnosis other than replacing the sensor?
    mitchmaclean and Docmcg like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Follow up Info:
    I may not need to diagnose the PMS. I put the truck on a lift and took a look at the large connector on the inside of the frame rail. It had been knocked off the mounting clip and was hanging in mid air. I blew some water out of it and remounted. Then proceeded to clean the 3 on the outside of the frame rail. Now I have driving a couple of days with no codes.

Member #
    Hey just curious how you got to the sensors connections to clean them? The way it's mounted on top of that rail I can't even see it let alone pull it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Hunter River, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie Ecodiesel with GDE Tune
    Liked
    476 times
    Check this thread out as it may help.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...-location.html

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I cleaned the one on the drivers side frame rail, not the one above the drive shaft. I believe you would have to unbolt the module from the bracket.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    This is really a bite. I cleared the code, drove the truck a week back and forth to work, 20+ miles one way, and around town with no light. Yesterday I drove 100+ interstate miles and when I started driving home after the truck sat for a couple of hours I have a light. Cleared it and it came back on within a few miles. Drove in dry weather. The question is; is it a sensor or is it something else triggering the sensor? 60,000+ miles stock with no egr cleaning yet. Any one have any ideas? Those of you who have this code, did the sensor fix it?

Member #
    Vehicle
    Granite Crystal 15 Big Horn Eco 4x4 Crew with 6'4" box
    Liked
    158 times
    When you had the connector apart, did you check for loose pins? Also did you apply dielectric grease to the pins in the plug?

GDE
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram EcoDiesel 3.92axle 4x4
    Liked
    2528 times
    A good tune will take care of that issue and no need to change any parts.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6380 times
    Read the above and do what is said. GDE quiets those darn sensors down.
    Sasquatchilly likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by namretsud View Post
    When you had the connector apart, did you check for loose pins? Also did you apply dielectric grease to the pins in the plug?
    All pins looked and felt tight. Did not apply any dielectric grease, yet. Seams like mixed reviews on doing this. This is one of the best reviews I have seen on dielectric & conductive grease. https://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grea...ive_grease.htm Think I will try the dielectric grease and do a tune after the FCA tune.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links