Brake pad fell off (friction pad) - Page 4

Brake pad fell off (friction pad)

This is a discussion on Brake pad fell off (friction pad) within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I filed a claim with the NHTSA today. Finally got the truck in to get the brakes repaired only to learn that FCA will not ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Brake pad fell off (friction pad)

Member #
    Vehicle
    16' RAM Limited
    Liked
    3 times
    I filed a claim with the NHTSA today. Finally got the truck in to get the brakes repaired only to learn that FCA will not cover anything brake related, even though my pads still had 60% material remaining and it was clearly a manufacturing defect. So now I have to pay for the rotor that it destroyed as well. We'll see about that. I would encourage others to file a claim as well. If I was on the highway and had to panic stop and this occurred, there would have been a serious crash and possibly a death, or more. Hope it doesn't happen to anybody. It seems most posters were moving in reverse when it happened. Maybe they can't fall off when moving forward...which would be a good thing. I'm sure one of the experts will chime in. I've never had my calipers off to verify.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Limited Ecodiesel
    Liked
    133 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phprof View Post
    So the moral of all of this ... replace your brake pads if they are factory and are starting to look like crap. Report it to the NTSB or whomever is the agency and they will look into it. Could be a bad set of brake pads (cheap). Cheap is FCA's real name and they are good at cutting every corner to make 2 dollars more.

For all of those with lots of miles on your brakes, either check them or have a mechanic check them. I mean really check them. Pull the tire and the caliper slide off. Make sure the pins move freely. Make sure the pads are not stuck in place by rust. Rust on the ears of the pad backing plate will cause them ti stick in the caliper slide resulting in extra drag between the pads and rotors after you release the brake peddle. Check the pads to make sure there is no rust between the pads and the backing plate they are mounted to. Check the wear on the rotor and the pads. Look especially on the inside of the rotor. For me this is where the rust gets the worst and chews up the pads. I just replaced the front brakes on our 2014 Dodge Durango with 55k miles on it. The front pads still had over 25% of their thickness but they went in the garbage. Why? Because of indications of rust starting between the pad and backing plate and the interior side of the rotor was rusting from the outer diameter in to the middle and was chewing up the pad. I could not see it from just looking at the rotor without pulling the tire and the caliper bracket. Besides, they were 5 years old. Time to replace them, straight up.

If you see rust on any of the critical parts, replace them.

You HAVE to pull at least the tire off to make this inspection. It is best to pull the caliper slide as well.

As a note, brakes are lasting a lot longer than when I was in my 20s. I was replacing pads every 20k miles back then. You have to do a proper inspection. If you live in a state with safety inspection, do you trust your mechanic? Does he/she actually pull the tire and caliper to check for lubrication, excessive rust, rusk jacking? If they don't then politely ask them to do so.

Rust was not a factor in my pad separating from the backing plate. Truck was just over a year old and had only seen one winter. Faulty pad was the cause. I was out of warranty due to kms I had on the truck.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links