Coolant loss, EGR suspected... warrante? - Page 2

Coolant loss, EGR suspected... warrante?

This is a discussion on Coolant loss, EGR suspected... warrante? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; leak tests to be done both cold and warm , then the EGR cooler leaking is detected , often the dealer will not do both ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Coolant loss, EGR suspected... warrante?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1191 times
    leak tests to be done both cold and warm ,
    then the EGR cooler leaking is detected , often the dealer will not do both , and tell you there is no leak.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    209 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    Alrighty, then. I guess the people who have had to replace/rebuild their engines due to the contamination causing the bearings to go bad were just imagining it.
    I think that you may be thinking about the oil cooler which was a problem early on, haven't heard of many failures in a long time.
    2015 Laramie CC 4X4, Protection Group, Convenience Group, Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Anti Spin Diff, 3.55, Remote Start, Uconnect 8.4AN w/Altec Lansing Speakers(9), Romik Steps, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Dual Liner, AMP BedStep, Stampede Hood Protector, Edge Insight CTS2
    Gatortrax One MX Tonneau cover, Husky Centerpoint TS Hitch, Total Load Control Air Bags
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1191 times
    bill-e , don't want to be impolite , but , you have to read a little more on the many possible ways the EGR cooler can fail ,
    the different pressures , exhaust portion pressure , coolant portion pressure , that flimsy unit can do a lot of damage ,
    Even Vern figured he was OK because he had 1 inch of coolant in the degas bottle , only to see his engine overheat ,
    and that messed with his head gaskets , then coolant in oil , yes it can happen , and it did , that killed his first engine at 371,000 miles
    who knows how far he could have stretched his first engine .
    when Vern knew better , he let us all know in this thread : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...g-systems.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1503 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokedownbutgood View Post
    While the egr can leak and enter the engine as a mist it also can continue leaking after shutting the engine off which can allow some coolant to get in the cylinders and seep down past the rings and into the crankcase. Getting your oil tested if a internal coolant leak is suspected is strongly recommend bearings hate free water or glycol.
    I would agree with this. Same as having a high silica result in your oil analysis due to a dirty air filter. Anything going into the intake, dirt, soot, or coolant, can get past the rings.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    Lonestar crew cab 4x4
    Liked
    35 times
    Just had the 6 gaskets in the EGR cooler due to a leak and it wasn't covered under powertrain and was covered under Maxie care warranty.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1004 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
    I think that you may be thinking about the oil cooler which was a problem early on, haven't heard of many failures in a long time.
    Nope. However, I have not heard of it happening to our Rams. But this is a scenario that runs rampant in big trucks. Shucks, I'm waaaaaay in debt over it happening to my truck. I was losing coolant and couldn't find out where. It was making the oil look milky because it was actually getting burned off--except for the residue. Anyhow, it took so long to diagnose that the damage had been done by the time it was figured out. A few months later and the cams and cam bearings went out. A few months after that and the lower end bearings went. Big $$$ on the big truck. If it can happen on a larger diesel I think it can probably happen on a smaller one.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    209 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    Nope. However, I have not heard of it happening to our Rams. But this is a scenario that runs rampant in big trucks. Shucks, I'm waaaaaay in debt over it happening to my truck. I was losing coolant and couldn't find out where. It was making the oil look milky because it was actually getting burned off--except for the residue. Anyhow, it took so long to diagnose that the damage had been done by the time it was figured out. A few months later and the cams and cam bearings went out. A few months after that and the lower end bearings went. Big $$$ on the big truck. If it can happen on a larger diesel I think it can probably happen on a smaller one.
    Wow, now after reading a couple of posts following your origianl one I can see how it would happen.

So a question on the big truck diesels, do yu have much of a commercial warranty on yur truck or is it very short as it is on a lot of products for commercial use? Does the Federal emmision warranties apply to big trucks? At what point could you do an EGR delete and get away with it, if ever?
    2015 Laramie CC 4X4, Protection Group, Convenience Group, Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Anti Spin Diff, 3.55, Remote Start, Uconnect 8.4AN w/Altec Lansing Speakers(9), Romik Steps, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Dual Liner, AMP BedStep, Stampede Hood Protector, Edge Insight CTS2
    Gatortrax One MX Tonneau cover, Husky Centerpoint TS Hitch, Total Load Control Air Bags
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Limited ecodiesel
    Liked
    26 times
    Ok. I give up.... made an appointment today to replace EGR cooler on my truck. After adding coolant couple of times the level stabilized around the seam. Even though the part was already ordered I tried to convince the dealer that there perhaps was air trapped in the system after water pump replacement. Mechanic did only the pressure test and nothing else..... and decided it must be an EGR cooler leaking because they've been having issues with that part for a long time. It was explained to me that the leak does not have to be constant it may be only leaking when regeneration starts under higher pressure. Time is running out as my extended warranty expires in another 4,500 miles and so I decided to replace the cooler and see what happens. The Next Step will be full EGR delete for sure. By the way the oil level and color is the same with no contamination visible.
    Captainmal and Lucky Dog like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6384 times
    Birdsnest is the O{ about a month ago. Wonder what happened to him?
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Limited ecodiesel
    Liked
    26 times
    Just to follow up on my EGR cooler replacement..... picked up my truck 10 days ago and coolant level stays put at the seam. No more internal leaks no more adding coolant.....for now at least. Did about 1000mi of driving including towing 20ft boat for 350mi. No engine lights or other issues. Changed oil too to start fresh😂.
    Unfortunately dealer has updated software under recall, includes Egr system / regen and tranny safety switch to park when doors open in Drive .
    So now until engine's fully warm it will not respond to throttle input from full stop. For about 2 sec. it will barely roll no matter how hard I step on the gas and then GENTLY accelerate.
    Totally unacceptable and dangerous when there's a need to join traffic quickly or to leave the intersection when turning left.... simply I'm a sitting duck for 2-3 sec. which feels like forever when other vehicles are approaching fast. Will go back to the dealer to inquire about that and if possible I will have the dealer install old software.
    sourdo likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links