Coolant loss, EGR suspected... warrante?

This is a discussion on Coolant loss, EGR suspected... warrante? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; After air suspension pump replaced under my extended warranty I had heater failure and noticed coolant low. Had oil change with the air pump replacement ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Coolant loss, EGR suspected... warrante?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 LLL
    Liked
    4 times

After air suspension pump replaced under my extended warranty I had heater failure and noticed coolant low. Had oil change with the air pump replacement service and was surprised they didn’t top it off, or did they? Took it in and they topped it off and it took much more than the air in the reservoirs. Drove a bit and dropped some more and I topped it off thinking it was just redistributing. Was convinced it continues to loose. Took it in and pressure test held pressure. Charged me diagnostic visit and various $. Mechanic saw me picking up and told me seemed fine in a pleasant conversation and to keep eye on it. It is loosing some fluid, no doubt. My question, should I bring it back and ask them to further diagnose or should I take my settlement first with the emissions warranty that it confers?should I ask for the my money back for the diagnosis visit with the pressure test that failed to diagnose the problem that I suspect they probably have a pretty good idea about? I notice that the reservoir looks a bit grey and not nearly as pristine as it once did. I am not tuned.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6398 times
    Oh my. You have maybe four or more questions in that giant paragraph. Hard to figure out where to start.

Assume as a 2014 model you are out of basic warranty. You only hint at that with your introduction of some kind of extended warranty. If so, that means you may still be in the Federal Emissions warranty period. But is that part of the issue?

You paid probably lots of money and time getting a variety of things done but still have no conclusions as to what is wrong. Until that is done I would not venture any more guesses on future recourse. Find out the problem. Then make a decision on what to do.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Hunter River, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie Ecodiesel with GDE Tune
    Liked
    477 times
    My dealer replaced my EGR cooler last week under my extended warranty, so it is covered. Also, I'm positive it wasn't leaking and they were just slow looking for work. Might need to go to another dealer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Depends where your at

What states have adopted CARB?
    Currently, 16 other states have either adopted, or are in the process of adopting, California's strict emissions standards. These states include New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Maryland, Florida, and several others.

CARB offers a minimum on EGR components 7/70

Red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 LLL
    Liked
    4 times
    Thank you all for your replies. I’ll see how they chase it and what they come up with . Hopefully they will be responsive and put some effort into it, it has already been in the shop for a few weeks!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    978 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdsnest View Post
    After air suspension pump replaced under my extended warranty I had heater failure and noticed coolant low. Had oil change with the air pump replacement service and was surprised they didn’t top it off, or did they? Took it in and they topped it off and it took much more than the air in the reservoirs. Drove a bit and dropped some more and I topped it off thinking it was just redistributing. Was convinced it continues to loose. Took it in and pressure test held pressure. Charged me diagnostic visit and various $. Mechanic saw me picking up and told me seemed fine in a pleasant conversation and to keep eye on it. It is loosing some fluid, no doubt. My question, should I bring it back and ask them to further diagnose or should I take my settlement first with the emissions warranty that it confers?should I ask for the my money back for the diagnosis visit with the pressure test that failed to diagnose the problem that I suspect they probably have a pretty good idea about? I notice that the reservoir looks a bit grey and not nearly as pristine as it once did. I am not tuned.
    Is the bottel low now? I would use a permanent marker to note the level both cold and hot (if it is full). If the bottle is low take a video of it and fill to the cold mark on the bottle and than mark it. Go for a drive to get the truck up to full operating temp and again video both the temp and the level of the bottle marking it and maybe the date. This way you have proof that the truck is drinking antifreeze. If the bottle drops (I would let it drop until it is two inches under the cold fill mark) than take the truck back to the dealer. Ask for both the service manager and the dealerships general manager. Pop the hood and show them that the bottle is low and play them the video showing that you filled it and it is now low.

That is when I would ask them for a credit for the "diagnostic visit and various $" and for them to repair the truck by replacing the EGR cooler. BTW was the the "various $" for?

On edit, do not get nasty with them or they will not help you out, even though you have ever right to it is not in your best interest to loss your temper. Good luck and keep us informed as to how this works out.
    Kazimodo likes this.
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1012 times
    If you suspect that it's the EGR cooler, check your oil. The contaminants can completely destroy your engine.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Limited ecodiesel
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    If you suspect that it's the EGR cooler, check your oil. The contaminants can completely destroy your engine.
    EGR cooler is not connected with oil lines. Coolant sips inside and as a mist enters intake tract and gets burt mixed with fuel.
    I am closely monitoring low coolant level issue now. After topping the reservoir up with 1/2 gal. after water pump replacement- don't think mechanic has bleed the system from air- level stayed at the seam for 2 weeks and then went down to the hight of the top of the radiator. Dealer did not do any exhaust gas analysis and decided that in such case the problem is most likely leaking EGR cooler. $3000 work/profit for the dealer.
    My question is : why is the leak not steady and consistent? Everything is fine for many days and then level drops. For now I have installed a catch bottle and decided to monitor the situation. Truck (2016) runs fine with no signs of problems.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1012 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Veefer99 View Post
    EGR cooler is not connected with oil lines.
    Alrighty, then. I guess the people who have had to replace/rebuild their engines due to the contamination causing the bearings to go bad were just imagining it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    528 times
    While the egr can leak and enter the engine as a mist it also can continue leaking after shutting the engine off which can allow some coolant to get in the cylinders and seep down past the rings and into the crankcase. Getting your oil tested if a internal coolant leak is suspected is strongly recommend bearings hate free water or glycol.
    Kazimodo and sourdo like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links