Edge Insight compatibility after AEM

This is a discussion on Edge Insight compatibility after AEM within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Yet another question about the upcoming settlement and AEM flash... Since I'm starting a topic that is going to have responses of nothing but speculation ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kazimodo

Thread: Edge Insight compatibility after AEM

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    493 times

Yet another question about the upcoming settlement and AEM flash...

Since I'm starting a topic that is going to have responses of nothing but speculation (since nobody has the AEM performed yet), I'm going to go hide in a bunker for my personal safety and emerge after May 9.

So, given that the Edge Insight units (like my CTS2) don't work on the 2017 and 2018 Ecodiesels...
    And the 2014-2016 Ecodiesels are using an older ECM tune...
    And, in theory, the 2017 trucks that were held up on lots by the EPA were reflashed with the approved software after EPA allowed it...
    What are the chances the AEM is going to make my CTS2 a brick on my 2015?

Is the incompatibility with the Edge on the newer trucks related to their ECM, or an entirely unrelated software compatibility with OBD architecture?

$3,075 is still a lot of money. But I rely on that CTS2 for a lot: regeneration status and associated EGTs to prevent shutdowns when hot, soot loading, temps, boost, recently added switch kit for accessories, soon will be used as monitor for 2nd reverse camera on trailer(s)... So I'm going to be very upset if I can no longer use it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel/8HP70 4x4. QC 6'4' 140" WB. Factory options: Protection Group, Exterior Appearance Group, Trailer Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Popular Equipment Group, 3.92, Anti-Spin, UConnect 5.0, ParkView
    List of mods - DJL_57'S RAM

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    243 times
    Edge is pretty good about making sure the insight works on everything, in due time, so even if it doesnít work for a little while, I would almost guarantee it wouldnít be long before they have an update that works for it. The hardest part is swallowing the pill that your truck and your issue isnít the only thing they have going on.
    Helped out at diesel shop for a while, itís hard to get customers to understand that itís a first come first serve kind of deal. Shops and companies like edge will not just drop everything to fix your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1113 times
    BOOM ! the Edge monitors never gave the 2017 owners all the functions that the 2014 2015 2016 have ,
    just because the software in the 2017 is different , never read anything about it being hardware related ,
    If only a few 2017 had made it to the market before the reflash , the owners who had a Edge monitor
    could have told us it worked fine until new software , then lost most Pids after reflash .
    even after 2 years of waiting,,,Edge did not come thru for 2017 2018 owners , ( unless something new came out that I am not aware of ),
    not encouraging for future after AEM for non-tuned trucks. their site does not even list 14/15/16 Eco in their dropdown window ....even less 17/18.
    so as you said Daniel , no way of knowing if the new software after the AEM , will turn the previous model years , that worked well
    with the Edge monitors , into the same kind of non-fully-compatible trucks using Edge monitors .
    Only people laughing are the ones with stock ECM , and a tuned ECM .
    ================================================
    real answers will come from Edge , if you have time to contact them ,
    EDGE PRODUCTS , CORPORATE OFFICES
    1080 SOUTH DEPOT DRIVE , OGDEN, UTAH 84404
    BUSINESS HOURS = MONDAY – FRIDAY = 8:00AM TO 5:00PM MST
    TOLL FREE = 1.888.360.EDGE (1.888.360.3343)
    PHONE : 801.476.3343
    FAX : 801.476.3348
    ============================================
    also seen this on their site :
    **For tech support emails please provide your products 9 digit serial number that starts with a 2 or 9 (i.e. 20001xxxx).
    Also, provide the year, make, model, and motor of your vehicle to further assist you.

**For technical support question please contact us at: [email protected] **
    ===========================
    last thing to read while in your bunker ,
    support may be better for Torque Pro App ,
    you may need to spend $5 on the App , $30 on a OBDII dongle , find an old unused cell
    and have a new looking monitor . I have a CS2 , I came to depend on the little gadget , so I understand your worry .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edge Insight compatibility after AEM-torque-pro-app-old-spare-phone.jpg
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 03-29-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    John Jensen and bobcat67 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Big Horn
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL_57 View Post
    Yet another question about the upcoming settlement and AEM flash...

Since I'm starting a topic that is going to have responses of nothing but speculation (since nobody has the AEM performed yet), I'm going to go hide in a bunker for my personal safety and emerge after May 9.

So, given that the Edge Insight units (like my CTS2) don't work on the 2017 and 2018 Ecodiesels...
    And the 2014-2016 Ecodiesels are using an older ECM tune...
    And, in theory, the 2017 trucks that were held up on lots by the EPA were reflashed with the approved software after EPA allowed it...
    What are the chances the AEM is going to make my CTS2 a brick on my 2015?

Is the incompatibility with the Edge on the newer trucks related to their ECM, or an entirely unrelated software compatibility with OBD architecture?

$3,075 is still a lot of money. But I rely on that CTS2 for a lot: regeneration status and associated EGTs to prevent shutdowns when hot, soot loading, temps, boost, recently added switch kit for accessories, soon will be used as monitor for 2nd reverse camera on trailer(s)... So I'm going to be very upset if I can no longer use it.

My best guess is that the edge products donít work on the 2017 and 2018 trucks due to the gateway ram installed in those model years.

Thatís why the alfaobd wonít work without the gateway bypass installed.

Now the 1,000,000 dollar question is would the edge products work on a 17 or 18 if they had a gateway bypass installed??? I donít know because i have a 15 like you.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1113 times
    Gateway/firewall on 2018 yes ,
    not sure about the 2017 ScottD ....

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    493 times
    Bobcat I understand that. But Kazi took the words right outta my mouth. For example - a prior FCA update on the 14-16 trucks removed Edge's compatibility to read distance since last regen PID, remember that? In correspondence with me, Edge stated FCA removed it and they cannot get it to work.
    Since then, they no longer list the Ecodiesel as compatible at all on their website.

And as for the gateway, right I thought it was 18 only that had the gateway, not 17.

From a business standpoint, it wouldn't make much sense for Edge to spend so much time getting it to work for our few hundred thousand trucks, when they sell plenty to the millions of HD truck applications.
    Hope it continues to work...

Last edited by DJL_57; 03-30-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    2015 RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel/8HP70 4x4. QC 6'4' 140" WB. Factory options: Protection Group, Exterior Appearance Group, Trailer Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Popular Equipment Group, 3.92, Anti-Spin, UConnect 5.0, ParkView
    List of mods - DJL_57'S RAM

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1113 times
    Surprising that after a few guys have had the AEM , none had a Edge monitor it seems ....
    so we could learn about the effects of the AEM application , comparaison of the available fonctions of the EDGE monitor ,
    sort of a " before and after " available fonctions .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM ED
    Liked
    92 times
    One guy said he had an edge because they called him thinking it was a tuning device. I didnít see where he responded on it working or not after the AEM

2015 CC 4X4 Tradesman

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1113 times
    RAM259 , it was CaptCliff , and he never gave a response , he must know if he plugged his Edge monitor back in ....
    posts # 773 and # 775 in here : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...lement-39.html

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6260 times
    Good question. We will soon find out.

Now I'm wondering if, during the short period I have to get my truck home so I can remove the ECM to have the flash re-flashed, whether the old Ultra Gauge I have works. No big deal if not but imagine other brands of monitors might also play into this doubt.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Sponsored Links