Changing front grill question

Changing front grill question

This is a discussion on Changing front grill question within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Hey all, After reading an older thread about the diesel engine getting hot (I too have this problem) while towing steep grades. I have decided ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Changing front grill question

  1. #1
    RAM Rookie JEEPGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Central valley, Ca.
    Posts
    12
    Member #
    37892
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram eco-diesel Laramie
    Liked
    5 times

    Changing front grill question

    Hey all,

    After reading an older thread about the diesel engine getting hot (I too have this problem) while towing steep grades. I have decided to change out the Laramie grill for either the wire mesh or the honeycomb inserts or better air flow. After watching a couple youtube video's on changing the grill inserts... I have a question.

    In one of the videos I watched, the person did NOT reinstall the plastic side shroud air deflectors on the L & R sides of the grill. Q. Is this a good idea? Does it or would it help air flow? I will not be doing the mod on the active grill shutters as some have done. Just doing the different grill for now and see how much difference it makes. I'd like to hear some opinions before I do the swap.

    Thanks
    phprof likes this.

  2. #2
    RAM Sr Member Aslag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    117
    Member #
    13601
    Vehicle
    2016 Big Horn QC 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    88 times
    I switched from Big Horn grille inserts to SLT honeycomb inserts to help with engine cooling and I believe the inserts do help by 5 to 10 degrees when towing up a grade. The engineers who designed this truck added the deflectors for a reason, that being to divert air to where it's needed, I didn't think twice about not re-installing them.
    phprof likes this.

  3. #3
    RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Southern IL
    Posts
    3,409
    Member #
    7966
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1547 times
    Keep the funnels, they'll push more air into the cooling stack and help with temps.

    Good idea on holding off on removing the AGS, then you'll have an idea how much each mod helped cooling.

    I swapped my Laramie grille out with one from a Laramie Longhorn, much better flow. I also ditched the AGS to make room for the oil cooler.
    phprof, TwoBobs and djr like this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    RAM Professional phprof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    UP North
    Posts
    585
    Member #
    23562
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    270 times
    Better yet would be to find a way to move the inter-cooler to a better location. I have zero clue where but that thing pumps fresh hot air straight into the lower half of the radiator.

    Keep the "funnels". The will help.
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

  6. #5
    RAM Rookie JEEPGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Central valley, Ca.
    Posts
    12
    Member #
    37892
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram eco-diesel Laramie
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks, I guess I'll leave them on.

    As a side note, I really like the way Bountyhunter did the oil cooler mod, but stealership said it would void my warranty? I'll have to look more into that, but I got the 8 year plan and would hate to screw that up. lol.

  7. #6
    RAM Regular TwoBobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    356
    Member #
    32921
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JEEPGUY View Post
    Thanks, I guess I'll leave them on.

    As a side note, I really like the way Bountyhunter did the oil cooler mod, but stealership said it would void my warranty? I'll have to look more into that, but I got the 8 year plan and would hate to screw that up. lol.
    BountyHunter has mentioned going to his dealership for miscellaneous work and I don't recall him ever saying anything about the oil cooler voiding the warranty - and can't imagine why it would. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the oil cooler but it's certainly on the mod list - and since I'm only 7 thousand miles away from the end of my warranty I'm not very worried about a cooler voiding it anyway. But even if I had 50K left before the end of the warranty I wouldn't hesitate to install a cooler if I wanted to. My main reason for thinking of installing an aftermarket cooler is my lack of trust in the construction of the OEM cooler rather than overheating oil - my TT isn't large enough to cause issues but the thought of the factory cooler failing and mixing oil and coolant gives me shivers.

    Next time you're at the dealer have the service manager give you the specific reason an aftermarket oil cooler would void the warranty. My money says he doesn't have a logical, coherent answer.


    Bob
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

  8. #7
    RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Southern IL
    Posts
    3,409
    Member #
    7966
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1547 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBobs View Post
    BountyHunter has mentioned going to his dealership for miscellaneous work and I don't recall him ever saying anything about the oil cooler voiding the warranty - and can't imagine why it would. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the oil cooler but it's certainly on the mod list - and since I'm only 7 thousand miles away from the end of my warranty I'm not very worried about a cooler voiding it anyway. But even if I had 50K left before the end of the warranty I wouldn't hesitate to install a cooler if I wanted to. My main reason for thinking of installing an aftermarket cooler is my lack of trust in the construction of the OEM cooler rather than overheating oil - my TT isn't large enough to cause issues but the thought of the factory cooler failing and mixing oil and coolant gives me shivers.

    Next time you're at the dealer have the service manager give you the specific reason an aftermarket oil cooler would void the warranty. My money says he doesn't have a logical, coherent answer.


    Bob
    Yep, at 76k of my 8/120 warranty and never an issue having my modified truck worked on under warranty. Of course Service Writers and Service Managers come in all types so you just never know until you talk to them.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

  9. #8
    RAM Regular r3gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    348
    Member #
    10922
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    186 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBobs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JEEPGUY View Post
    Thanks, I guess I'll leave them on.

    As a side note, I really like the way Bountyhunter did the oil cooler mod, but stealership said it would void my warranty? I'll have to look more into that, but I got the 8 year plan and would hate to screw that up. lol.
    BountyHunter has mentioned going to his dealership for miscellaneous work and I don't recall him ever saying anything about the oil cooler voiding the warranty - and can't imagine why it would. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the oil cooler but it's certainly on the mod list - and since I'm only 7 thousand miles away from the end of my warranty I'm not very worried about a cooler voiding it anyway. But even if I had 50K left before the end of the warranty I wouldn't hesitate to install a cooler if I wanted to. My main reason for thinking of installing an aftermarket cooler is my lack of trust in the construction of the OEM cooler rather than overheating oil - my TT isn't large enough to cause issues but the thought of the factory cooler failing and mixing oil and coolant gives me shivers.

    Next time you're at the dealer have the service manager give you the specific reason an aftermarket oil cooler would void the warranty. My money says he doesn't have a logical, coherent answer.


    Bob
    Haven't seen many high mielage failures on the oil coolers. I think you don't need to worry about the cooler failure now. Alot of these failures were happening before has to be a bad part or something. If you catch the leaking oil cooler in time it's not a big deal. Reason I lift my hood every few days for a minute.

  10. #9
    RAM Ninja Perrysburg Dodgeboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,052
    Member #
    1565
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    982 times
    This is the grill I had the bodyshop install after my deer hunt lol. Goto post 26 https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post924456 can't find the pics right now.
    Changing front grill question-76610d1542348405-first-buck-season-20181115_090628.jpg
    Captainmal and sourdo like this.
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

  11. #10
    RAM Professional phprof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    UP North
    Posts
    585
    Member #
    23562
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    270 times
    Has anyone dealt with this company? Font grille replacements
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. When do you recommend changing front and rear diff fluid?
    By biodiesel in forum RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-18-2018, 06:28 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2017, 07:46 PM
  3. changing grill inserts...who has done it?
    By jeffjcalweb in forum RAM 1500 Diesel Accessories
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-25-2016, 04:05 PM
  4. changing grill inserts...who has done it?
    By jeffjcalweb in forum RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-02-2015, 11:02 AM
  5. Mesh grill and active grill shutter pix?
    By J.Wal in forum RAM 1500 General Discussion (Non Diesel)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2014, 07:06 PM