Is this normal?

Is this normal?

This is a discussion on Is this normal? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Hello all, new member and new to the eco diesel world. I picked up my 2015 limited with 60k miles on it little over a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

Member #

Is this normal?

Hello all, new member and new to the eco diesel world. I picked up my 2015 limited with 60k miles on it little over a month ago. To say the least I love the truck, but an issue popped up and cant seem to pin point it or even know if its normal. Its sounds like a buzzing/vibrating that emits into the cabin. It has gotten louder, but I notice it only does it when the engine is warming up or warm and it's been getting hotter here in GA so I have been noticing it. I can hear it clear sitting idle, around 1100 rpms and when initial releasing the throttle. Just got back from the dealer and they replaced a tensioner pulley, but as I was driving home, symptoms occurred again. Now it wasn't as prominent as before, but I can still clearly hear it. It sounds like it was coming from the AC Compressor or driver side of the engine, but I couldn't pin point it, hence why I went to dealer. You can hear a harmonic change when the compressor clutch kicks in and out, but simultaneously it could be just the load on the engine. Was hoping to hear from you guys, is this normal for the Ecos? I have a few videos, but i think being a new member, doesnt look like I cant post them. PS I due plan on getting GDE tune when warranty is up, thanks in advance

Member #
    Liked
    224 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Herculezjt View Post
    Hello all, new member and new to the eco diesel world. I picked up my 2015 limited with 60k miles on it little over a month ago. To say the least I love the truck, but an issue popped up and cant seem to pin point it or even know if its normal. Its sounds like a buzzing/vibrating that emits into the cabin. It has gotten louder, but I notice it only does it when the engine is warming up or warm and it's been getting hotter here in GA so I have been noticing it. I can hear it clear sitting idle, around 1100 rpms and when initial releasing the throttle. Just got back from the dealer and they replaced a tensioner pulley, but as I was driving home, symptoms occurred again. Now it wasn't as prominent as before, but I can still clearly hear it. It sounds like it was coming from the AC Compressor or driver side of the engine, but I couldn't pin point it, hence why I went to dealer. You can hear a harmonic change when the compressor clutch kicks in and out, but simultaneously it could be just the load on the engine. Was hoping to hear from you guys, is this normal for the Ecos? I have a few videos, but i think being a new member, doesnt look like I cant post them. PS I due plan on getting GDE tune when warranty is up, thanks in advance
    Hi: Herculezjt... Does your exhaust system have a heat shield... and could it be loose?
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

Member #
    I can check, when the engine was cold I felt around on the driver side of the engine to see if there was anything loose, no dice. Its doesnt sound like a metal on metal contact, I can differentiate the clatter over this buzzing/vibration.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman
    Liked
    843 times
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the truck. Noises as you describe are hard to diagnose via the internet but it is definitely not something you should hear and definitely not an eco problem. I would take it back to dealer while under warranty as it sounds like they need to do more investigation as to the cause.
    2015 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman 3.55, 20" rims, Trailer Brake Control, Comfort Group, Luxury Group, Premium Cloth Bucket Seats, 8.4A Premium Sound (Upgrade JBL Speakers), Backup Camera, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Bedrug Bed Mat, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Dura Flap Splash Guards, EGR Ventvisors, Ionic Gladiator Running Boards, Tinted windows.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6125 times
    Welcome to the forum.

The Eco is an engine surrounded by a Ram 1500. The engine does not normally make unusual sounds. Strange the dealer had to replace a tensioner pulley. Was it making the same sound or vibration before the replacement? Just wondering if it was related to the work done.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    194 times
    Could it be related to the ABS pump or brake servo?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar73340 View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the truck. Noises as you describe are hard to diagnose via the internet but it is definitely not something you should hear and definitely not an eco problem. I would take it back to dealer while under warranty as it sounds like they need to do more investigation as to the cause.
    Great to know and understand troubleshooting via internet wish I can post videos

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

The Eco is an engine surrounded by a Ram 1500. The engine does not normally make unusual sounds. Strange the dealer had to replace a tensioner pulley. Was it making the same sound or vibration before the replacement? Just wondering if it was related to the work done.
    The noise was there before the pulley swap, which when they first told me what they found I could see how that could make the noise, bearing warms up and starts making a noise, harmonics change under various loads, but I guess not after the swap, I just dont want to repeat this going to a dealer, paying them money for something that isnt fixed
    Last edited by Herculezjt; 04-09-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Henfield View Post
    Could it be related to the ABS pump or brake servo?
    Is it common for these to fail, or make a noise during failure? As it seems right now, I dont have any performance issues, it's all noise with a little vibration emitting into the cabin

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6125 times
    There have been reports of a few tensioner pulleys being replaced. Don't see to remember any description of what was going on before the replacement or problems after.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links