Recent "blown" engine - Page 3

Recent "blown" engine

This is a discussion on Recent "blown" engine within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; So if the engine looses all of its oil due to some defect and person looses an engine its not covered under warranty?...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Recent "blown" engine

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    149 times
    So if the engine looses all of its oil due to some defect and person looses an engine its not covered under warranty?

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    251 times
    1 senario that I could see possibly causing a rear main to fail= a frozen or plugged aftermarket "catch can". I run a CFT catch can and religiously drain it every couple thousand miles. It catches about half what the catch can on my hemi did, but Ecodiesel is only half the size of a hemi. It does pull out a bunch of nasty goo.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6147 times
    You mean maybe two gallons of oil went out the rear main and was not noticed?

Any reasonable operator will be checking the oil level at each washing or every couple thousand miles. Surely it did not go lunching out in just a few moments from a leaky rear main. Then you deal with the issue of fuel pressure, injection timing and operation to figure out why it would not start. Even some seriously damaged engines can be started and heard to rap.

Something does not smell right on this. Happy it was covered financially.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 RAM 1500 SLT 3.0 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    97 times
    I might be a little OCD but i check mine almost every time I fuel up.. What else am I gonna do while I wait for it to fill up? Up here they leave the little locker clicky things on the diesel pump so you can walk away and it will still pump.. gassers dont have that option... suckers!
    2017 RAM 1500 SLT 3.0 EcoDiesel 3.92

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    466 times
    Something definitely sounds weird these engine have no way to know if there low on oil. The only thing they have is an oil temp sensor and an oil pressure switch.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1285 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDREX View Post
    1 senario that I could see possibly causing a rear main to fail= a frozen or plugged aftermarket "catch can". I run a CFT catch can and religiously drain it every couple thousand miles. It catches about half what the catch can on my hemi did, but Ecodiesel is only half the size of a hemi. It does pull out a bunch of nasty goo.
    Mine just catches what looks like black oil. Nothing else discernible.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    949 times
    The reason there are no longer "real oil pressure gauges" is because it would require engine oil to come inside the cabin of the vehicle. I did a complete rewire on a 1969 Vette (back in 1980) that included rewiring all of the gauges in the dash. I was unaware that the oil line coming from the rear of the engine had come off of the gauge (you know a real oil pressure gauge lol). After starting the car it pumped engine oil in to the car destroying the carpet. Luckily for me the owner needed new carpet and seat covers, he bought the carpet and covers and I replaced them for free.

Point being, the risk of hot engine oil spraying inside a vehicle and burning the front passengers is a risk the manufacturers are not going to take. Also sorry Brokendownbutgood all newer vehicles will shut the engine down to save it if the oil pressure gets low enough.
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    466 times
    In order for oil pressure to drop low enough to display a low oil pressure warning the engine is already done. Its a simple one wire switch that says the oil pressure is above 4-8 psi. Having a low oil level is not enough to cause that big of a oil pressure drop unless its hot and at a low idle. It also wont stop the engine from starting. It would be very simple for a oem to use an actual oil pressure sensor most still do outside of automotive. But automotive oem dont want customers complaining there oil pressure dropped slightly or is to high so they fake it, ignorance is bliss in there eyes.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1285 times
    My truck has a real oil pressure sender (GDE) without routing an oil line to the dash.
    bobcat67 likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 ED, with a 2018 engine.
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Perrysburg Dodgeboy View Post
    The reason there are no longer "real oil pressure gauges" is because it would require engine oil to come inside the cabin of the vehicle. I did a complete rewire on a 1969 Vette (back in 1980) that included rewiring all of the gauges in the dash. I was unaware that the oil line coming from the rear of the engine had come off of the gauge (you know a real oil pressure gauge lol). After starting the car it pumped engine oil in to the car destroying the carpet. Luckily for me the owner needed new carpet and seat covers, he bought the carpet and covers and I replaced them for free.

Point being, the risk of hot engine oil spraying inside a vehicle and burning the front passengers is a risk the manufacturers are not going to take. Also sorry Brokendownbutgood all newer vehicles will shut the engine down to save it if the oil pressure gets low enough.
    A lot has changed in the last 50 years, one of these changes is being able to get real oil pressure without routing an oil line into the cab.
    phprof, Bounty Hunter and bobcat67 like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links