Recent "blown" engine - Page 4

Recent "blown" engine

This is a discussion on Recent "blown" engine within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by Lazinator A lot has changed in the last 50 years, one of these changes is being able to get real oil pressure ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Recent "blown" engine

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazinator View Post
    A lot has changed in the last 50 years, one of these changes is being able to get real oil pressure without routing an oil line into the cab.
    Agreed. Piezoelectric sensors have been around for decades. This is just another sign of FCA/RAM being cheap on design and parts. They believe the computer "modelers" of the world that feeding model output into a model as "data" for model input to make the next set of calculations is just as good as reading off the actual data.

How else can you explain the lack of an oil pressure sensor (real one)? Or the fact they use a computer model to tell when to activate a DPF regen when they have perfectly good data to tell it when to activate the regen?
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    949 times
    Quote Originally Posted by r3gill View Post
    So if the engine looses all of its oil due to some defect and person looses an engine its not covered under warranty?
    Yes and no. Yes if there is a known defect as in the 2.4 Tigershark engines. No if there is not any known oil loose defects in a particular engine. All of FCA's engines shut down when the oil pressure hits a certain set point. This happened to my daughters Dart, she was driving down 80/90 making a hard turn in Cincinnati when the engine shut down and would not start back up. She was towed to the nearest dealer who added three quarts of oil to her car and reset it. Our dealer (selling dealer) did a oil consumption test, changed the oil and filter on FCA's dime and she had to bring the car in every 1000 miles to have the oil checked. When it was determined that the engines oil usage exceeded FCA's oil usage spec the engine was replaced at no cost to her.

The issue with MAS story (not saying it is not true) is that he claims his family member had a rear main oil leak. There is no way a vehicle could lose enough oil to take out an engine without, I say again WITHOUT the owner knowing there is a problem! This is beside the fact that the engine will shut down before the engine would "blow up". I'm not saying there wasn't an oil leak just that there is no way in hell a customer could not know of the leak and if in warranty the dealer would have fixed it! Again this does not add up!
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Long Horn, CC, 4x4
    Liked
    201 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phprof View Post
    After I bought to FCA vehicles I found out that FCA is the second worse company for customer service.
    Who is number 1 ????

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    211 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    Who is number 1 ????
    Verizon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    smoky and 7milesup like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Long Horn, CC, 4x4
    Liked
    201 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    You mean maybe two gallons of oil went out the rear main and was not noticed?

Any reasonable operator will be checking the oil level at each washing or every couple thousand miles. Surely it did not go lunching out in just a few moments from a leaky rear main. Then you deal with the issue of fuel pressure, injection timing and operation to figure out why it would not start. Even some seriously damaged engines can be started and heard to rap.

Something does not smell right on this. Happy it was covered financially.
    These are that bad, you need to check the oil every two thousand miles ?? That sounds like an old beater of a car you would buy for a couple thousand bucks, that is the junk you might want to check the oil on every two thousand miles, not a $57K new truck. If the truck you just bought for $57K is that bad you better dump it real quick.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    149 times
    You know a $200k semi truck... drivers do a pretrip everyday before they begin their shift. And those engines are built to last 1 million miles... So what's wrong with checking oil every 2k miles on a pickup truck?
    7milesup, sourdo and Captainmal like this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1269 times
    Im sure they don't check the oil every 2,000 miles.

It is all a little fishy to me too. I am not making anything up, these details are the same things I have been presented with. The engine still turns over smooth, I don't even know that it has "failed" yet. Its not mine. Two different dealers opinions was that the motor was blown from low oil, im not sure how much of the second dealers opinion was based on the firsts if any. I do not actually believe at the time that the engine has had a bearing failure, I think it has something else keeping it from starting and a bad seal. Like I said I just wanted to update the board as I learned new stuff. Mainly that they didn't get it replaced under warranty but was covered under insurance and that they got the core back. If it were mine I would be wanting to dig into it and figure it out, but its not mine and for that I am glad.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1269 times
    And on the oil checking side of it, I guess I have gotten lazy. My first pickup truck was a '94 chevy it ran great and gave me 17 years of trouble great service. I put 265,000 miles on it before I sold it and it still ran like a top, but it got mobil 1 changed regularly its whole life and used a quart of oil every 1000 miles from about 50k mile on so I checked it weekly if I was towing I checked it before I started it every time.

My ecodiesel doesn't use a drop that I can tell in a 10,000 mile change. I currently only check it before I hook up a trailer and usually only if its a longer trip.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    328 times
    There is nothing like having a real gauge to look at. I installed one last summer.

At 2000 RPM's, normal hot temp, reads around 40 psi. It slips a bit to 36 when the oil is 260 F hot, but that is during short climbs. Mostly while towing my oil temp is about 230 F while in the heat.

But now I will know something is up when I only get 30 psi, then 20, I don't want to wait till the damned thing seizes or throws a rod. The idiot light only turns on at a very low pressure. By then the bearings would be toast.

Yea, a real oil pressure for such an expensive engine is not only logical, the stupidity of the fake gauge is unbelievable. Even the manual acts like its the real deal, about the dumbest thing I read.
    mw243 and MAS like this.
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram ED CCSB Bighorn 4x4
    Liked
    74 times
    Capacitive and piezoresistive sensors have been used for decades.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Sponsored Links