Recent "blown" engine

Recent "blown" engine

This is a discussion on Recent "blown" engine within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I posted a while back that a family member had a failed engine. The first dealer reported that the engine failed due to low oil ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Recent "blown" engine

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1447 times

Recent "blown" engine

I posted a while back that a family member had a failed engine. The first dealer reported that the engine failed due to low oil level and would not warranty it and wanted a large sum I think $15-20k to replace the engine.

They took it to a second dealer. At this dealer it was my understanding that they agreed to cover they engine under warranty and replace it.

This past weekend they showed up with the original engine boxed up and on a trailer. Turns out the second dealer was able to replace the engine under a claim with their insurance at the cost of their deductible. The engine still turned over and didn't make any bad noises but wouldn't start but had been badly low on oil.

After unboxing it, it appears the oil leak was a failed rear main seal... engine should have been covered under warranty if you ask me.

In the end he plans to get the old engine running, I will let yal know if anything comes of it.
    Captainmal and Diesel78 like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram ED CCSB Bighorn 4x4
    Liked
    76 times
    Any idea if the crankcase vent was clogged, what the compression tested at, or indicator run-out at the crank? Do not understand why a main seal failure isn't covered under drive-train warranty but glad to hear insurance company is providing some help.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1447 times
    To my knowledge in typical RAM fashion none of that was even addressed. Oil was seen on the bottom of the motor, the oil level was way low on the dipstick, and it wouldn't start. They said it was failed and because it was run with insufficient oil, your problem prove us wrong. The deductible just made it easy/cost effective enough that they went that way instead of fighting with FCA. Thought it was pretty cool that they got to keep the engine since it wasn't a warranty repair.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    if u get turned down for warranty at one dealer it is put on the computer for all dealers to see if my engine blows the first thing I would do is check oil and water if low I would fill it before going to a dealer

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    76 times
    Sure glad the owner is getting insurance help but disheartening to hear of any reasonable attempts on the dealers end to diagnose a root cause. If a main seal has failed, the engine is going to be low on oil. The low oil is a symptom, not necessarily a cause of main seal failure.
    Whammo likes this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1447 times
    Quote Originally Posted by carlhenry View Post
    if u get turned down for warranty at one dealer it is put on the computer for all dealers to see if my engine blows the first thing I would do is check oil and water if low I would fill it before going to a dealer
    I believe there have been others on here who were turned away by one dealer that were fixed at another. I originally reported this wrong which is why I stated this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie, 355 Diff ,ARE Cap, pull me over first Red
    Liked
    538 times
    I've never heard of auto insurance that that will pay for repairs due to a mechanical failure. Do you know who the insurance carrier is?
    shawclan5 likes this.
    Do not rule out working with your hands, but it does not preclude using your head.

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    Hi: All... Am I missing something or where did the oil go and why didn't anyone notice it leaving?
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
    Ram1 and Perrysburg Dodgeboy like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    76 times
    A better question is why don't these engines have an actual oil pressure sensor instead of a computed algorithm based on temperature and rotational velocity parameters.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1447 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldragon View Post
    Hi: All... Am I missing something or where did the oil go and why didn't anyone notice it leaving?
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
    Out the rear main seal. Its kind of hard to see while your driving, and the truck doesn't have a real oil pressure gauge.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links