Add another one to the list...

This is a discussion on Add another one to the list... within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; 177k miles - I tried to find the thread to log this but didn't. On the highway this morning along I-95 taking wife to airport. ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Add another one to the list...

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie CC 4WD Eco-Diesel
    Liked
    25 times

177k miles - I tried to find the thread to log this but didn't.

On the highway this morning along I-95 taking wife to airport. I was in left lane, but needed to pass one of those middle lane lovers and the exit was approaching. Started to accelerate for over-taking and shifting to the right lane when I had a complete loss of power. Engine light came on, I saw warning about servicing air suspension module. Also saw low oil indication. Trying to make the most of the available momentum, I allowed the middle lane lover to glide past as I signaled (I know, its a rare event these days but I do it religiously) and eventually coasted to a stop on the exit ramp I intended to take toward the airport. On the shoulder, I tried to re-start but it was a no-go. It turned over easily and seemed to do so at a higher speed (like lower compression). I also checked the engine oil level and found plenty of the stick both initially and half hour later.

The truck was recently dealer-serviced (within a few hundred miles) and I have full records of everything done to date. It is beyond warranty (I'm not sure where you guys are seeing 120K warranty - mine is/was clearly 5yr/100K) and technically has the GDE tune (but I waited to the end of the warranty miles to do that for obvious reasons). Given the upcoming settlement, it seems I've found myself in no-mans land.

For those interested, I have the Laramie package with remote start and air ride. I hardly ever tow, but did pull a 28' enclosed trailer from GA to CO and back last year with about 2k weight inside (6K total). Most of the miles are highway - truly and I've kept tabs of fuel economy like clockwork. I use the remote start almost without exception - for both convenience and because I was concerned about the longevity of this engine design. I thought I was winning....

Further, I was on the fence about this engine and its reported issues. One one hand, I had been caught up in what circumstantially appears to be an abnormally high failure rate on this engine. On the other hand, I can appreciate that shit happens in any brand. But I will say to the people that try to downplay the significance of it, consider yourself lucky if you've not had it happen. I am not a fanboy and generally dislike Dodge/RAM/Chrysler but the concept and execution (engine issues withstanding) were ideal. I was sold on it the moment I test drove it and appreciate what it has to offer. But if I had known about the engine issues I absolutely would not have bought it. The potential shock I'm expecting financially is NOT worth the mileage and range.

I've had two vortec gas engine vehicles hit at least 270k before giving appreciable trouble. That is my benchmark.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Z

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4298 times
    Sorry to hear. Let us know if it turns out to be a bottom end failure or possibly reluctor wheel/crank sensor.

Member #
    Liked
    248 times
    Hi: HomeMadeSin... Why on earth do you need to go past and cut in front to exit? Why not slo down and cut behind then get off at the ramp. Might not have solved the issue but would have been more responsible smooth driving.
    Sorry to pick on your style but it happens to me all the time!!!
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
    Ransom and tboneman like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2279 times
    Doesn't sound like the ttypical lower end failure to me. No mention of noise and easily turned over with starter afterwards. Sounds like reluctor as 97 mentions or something in the fuel system.
    MR. TED, Whammo and RudolfDiesel like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    179 times
    It cant just blow up without any noises for a few minutes.. Also a locked up engine will not turn over. Bet you have something else going on in there..
    MR. TED likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    504 times
    Warning about service air suspension module? That seems out of place might try checking all the connectors first. Defiantly doesn't sound like a bottom end failure.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6348 times
    Hope you do a follow-up. Lots of mileage on your package. Could be a variety of things but does not read like a major engine failure.
    Whammo likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    997 times
    Yeah, sounds almost exactly like when my reluctor ring failed. Minus the air ride message.
    MR. TED likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldragon View Post
    Hi: HomeMadeSin... Why on earth do you need to go past and cut in front to exit? Why not slo down and cut behind then get off at the ramp. Might not have solved the issue but would have been more responsible smooth driving.
    Sorry to pick on your style but it happens to me all the time!!!
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
    To be fair, let me first state I prefer to stay right and pass left. And I generally follow that even if it means that I have to switch lanes frequently to pass. In this case, just before the failure the right lane had semis coming up to speed and the middle lane had the usual “lazy” drivers that couldn’t be bothered with the stay right / pass left ideology. I thought I could maintain my current speed and pass on the left.

It sure seemed like that caused the person I was overtaking to speed up. I know, I know....that never happens. So I did floor it and then it happened. I was half a car length ahead of said offender and had to wait for the opportunity for them to pass me so I could cut behind them (middle lane) and then move over to the right lane and eventually to the shoulder....coasting all the way to try and make it off the interstate.

So I’m not sure where your concern is. I did not cut off anyone. I took an even, measured transition from lane to lane to shoulder. I rarely see this under normal driving conditions much less a full power loss at highway speeds. So please enlighten me.

I will fully admit, I could’ve slowed down and waited for the right lane to clear instead of maintain my desired speed. It was a 50/50 decision. But I generally detest people who drive in the middle lane when no one is in the right lane. And it doesn’t seem to matter if they are pulling a trailer, driving an RV, etc.
    97hmcs and jmags40 like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    25 times
    I read a couple of posts about the reluctor ring. It does sound like that and I will take that over an engine failure. Any improvements on that design or is it just another reset and wait for it to fail again type of thing?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links